Let's talk optimal build for 31" tires

Irun

A vicious cycle of doing, undoing, and re-doing!
Supporting Member
A significant amount of discussion here is around builds for 33" -35" tires. What if we go in the other direction? Let's hear your thoughts on a build for 31" tires, with a focus on best ride on the street (95% of Jeep use) and best performance offroad (5% of Jeep use).

For offroad, it's important to maintain maximum suspension travel possible.That said, if you were to do an ultimate 31" tire build, what would that look like? Springs, control arms, body lift, shocks, track bars, and more are on the table. Let's hear it. What would your ultimate 31" tire build look like?

I would have done the following if I didnt buy my jeep way it was. Id do OME heavy duty 2.5" springs, ranchoRS5000X (the up travel-oriented ones) and savvy/currie control arms. If on a budget then I would do core 4x4 arms. JKS trackbars or currie trackbars depending on budget and if needed then a SYE and or Tummy Tuck. This and some 31" KO2s(if they make a 31) would actually be a somewhat cheap, fun DD and weekend explorer.

Are 32's absolutely out of the discussion? I always considered 32's and under kinda of the tipping point for having to start spending a lot more money on parts.
Should not be, i don't know of a single exact 31" tire.
Metrics range between 31.2 to 32s, not metrics typically run 0.5 smaller, so 30.5

Reactions: D M
My ratio is more like 30% street (rural paved roads to get to the good stuff). So far for the trails I enjoy, my mild build around 31s is great. The only thing I’d change (if I could) is pizza cutters. Light and long FTW.

Reactions: D M
He doesn't post often anymore, but @StG58 had a build thread for an SE built around 31's. Because he was running the 4 cylinder, he was very weight conscious. I always thought he did a good job laying out his decisions about mods and why.

He had H&R 1" lift springs and Bilstein shocks, IIRC.

Personally, for a build around 31's or 32's, I think the H&R springs, applicable shocks, a body lift, and a tummy tuck would be about perfect.

Overall it is the same concept, except less focused on lifting the Jeep to make clearance.
Fun part is when you are over geared for the 31s. I am on 31.7" and geared 4.56, this thing just goes.

Beefing up components, and adding more armor should be just as important if not more.
Reason i say this, most trails i have been to, are all rotted out with bigger tires. Sometimes brute forcing a way through is the only option, otherwise id be spinning wheels in the air while hung up on the pumpkin. Same concept with rocky areas, but i take my sweet time around rocks. And if it looks like i have no business of being/going there, i don't.

But, overall having limitations makes you a better driver, unless you are dumb by nature.
I have been on two local group runs, and can clearly tell who is using their brain to overcome an obstacle. I assure you, they are typically not the guys who run 35-37s.

My ratio is more like 30% street (rural paved roads to get to the good stuff). So far for the trails I enjoy, my mild build around 31s is great. The only thing I’d change (if I could) is pizza cutters. Light and long FTW.
+1 for pizza cutters.
I keep searching for good options, but reality is that options are very limited, very few, and don't align with what i am going for.
Hopefully some day..

Reactions: RMETeeJay
I put H&R springs with Rancho RS5000X shocks in. Originally I put a 3/4” leveling puck up front, and then added one in the back as well. I’m netting about 1.5” lift like this. With the hardtop, rear dirtworx bumper, and rock sliders it only gave me 3/4” lift in the rear before the leveler was added there. If I knew beforehand, I’d do 2” springs and call it good. It looks kinda small on 30s now, so when these wear out, I’ll get 31-32s and regear. A lower profile transfer skid is in order also.
D802D286-259A-4A66-BD2B-28DF00E89762.jpeg

A significant amount of discussion here is around builds for 33" -35" tires. What if we go in the other direction? Let's hear your thoughts on a build for 31" tires, with a focus on best ride on the street (95% of Jeep use) and best performance offroad (5% of Jeep use).

For offroad, it's important to maintain maximum suspension travel possible.That said, if you were to do an ultimate 31" tire build, what would that look like? Springs, control arms, body lift, shocks, track bars, and more are on the table. Let's hear it. What would your ultimate 31" tire build look like?
I wheeled on 265/75R16 (31.6") with 3" suspension lift and 1" transfer case drop for a while and the single biggest bottleneck to performance is belly height. If I were non-Rubicon, I'd most likely say open differentials too. So if I were limited to 31's, my biggest priorities would be belly clearance and traction aids like limited slips or lockers.

looks kinda small on 30s now, so when these wear out, I’ll get 31-32s and regear. A lower profile transfer skid is in order also.View attachment 221385
I like the looks, very proportional.
What rims are those?

As far as 215/85r16, 235/75r16 is also an option, tire is 9.3 wide
17" rims also have sub 10" wide tires ... finding a rim style that would go along with Jeep, and size to accommodate those skinnies, that is where my options are narrowing.

I have 31’s with 2-1/2” OME spring lift. (HD springs), JKS track bars, front anti rock, Rancho RS5000x shocks. I also stacked another front spring isolator (3/4”) on top of the original to level it out. I’ve been very happy with it.

I like the looks, very proportional.
What rims are those?

As far as 215/85r16, 235/75r16 is also an option, tire is 9.3 wide
17" rims also have sub 10" wide tires ... finding a rim style that would go along with Jeep, and size to accommodate those skinnies, that is where my options are narrowing.
The rims are pro comp la Paz or something like that. I think they discontinued them, which really irks me because my full-size spare doesn’t match.