Let's talk PRP seats

techster82

Lover of Lifted LJs
Supporting Member
So in the course of building and modifying my new to me LJ I entertained the thought of front seat covers like those from Bartact but also have always had my eye on something in the suspension seat category. When I started looking at what the cost difference would be the choice to upgrade seats started to make even more sense.

I have read the write-up from @Jerry Bransford on the PRP Daily Drivers and finally had a chance this past weekend to sit in their lineup and discuss their products with some of the folks at Wide Open Designs. For my needs and current Jeep lifestyle (for lack of a better term) I think the Daily Drivers would serve me well.

Since my wife's daily driver is now a JL Rubicon we'd most likely use that for longer trips, around town driving etc. Getting our two young children in and out of it with four doors is no problem and they have plenty of leg room in the back (more than we had in our Grand Cherokee). The LJ is more my baby and I want to change it with camping/trail riding/off-roading in mind while still maintaining nice street manners and comfort should I choose to daily drive it during the spring/summer/fall.

I need a seat that of course is comfortable, easy to get in and out of while still offering increased bolster support compared to the factory seat and also allows me to retain the forward tumble feature for the kids to access the rear seat.

So who out there is using the PRP Daily Drivers (or other offerings from PRP) and what fabric options are the ones to look at for daily use and low maintenance?

PRP's site at https://www.prpseats.com/product/daily-driver-suspension-seat/ discusses all of the options for their Daily Driver seat. Just make sure to NOT order piping with the seats as it does not hold up for long. My TJ isn't even a daily driver and the piping started having problems in about a year. I mentioned that issue to the president of PRP at an offroad event and he agreed it's no longer recommended for that reason. Where the piping wears & starts coming apart is on the left-hand bolster you slide over to get in or out of the seat.

I went with a combination of vinyl in non-seating areas and tweed in the seating sections of the seat & seat back which is working out well.

hi Jerry-
I saw the thread you posted regarding the installation of these seats and I am certainly interested. I need something that is more daily driver than off road, so of course I honed in on the PRP seats you bought. Is your experience still positive? Other than the piping, anything else you would have a prospective buyer pay close attention to?
thanks

hi Jerry-
I saw the thread you posted regarding the installation of these seats and I am certainly interested. I need something that is more daily driver than off road, so of course I honed in on the PRP seats you bought. Is your experience still positive? Other than the piping, anything else you would have a prospective buyer pay close attention to?
thanks
Not really, just that piping still bugs me. Note that even the daily driver style seat is still more difficult to get in & out of due to its higher side bolstering but its added comfort and security (holds you in better) while you wheel is worth it.

Reactions: jamespwsullivan
I have the PRP Daily Drivers, with Vinyl on the back and Tweed on the sides and center. This fabric seems durable and it breathes well (I hate getting swamp ass on a hot summer day). I followed Jerry's advice and didn't get the piping.

All in all I think the PRPs are well made and pretty comfortable, but I think they look more comfortable than they actually are. I would give comfort level for daily driving a 7\10.

The do excel on the trail however, while wheeling they were fantastic.

The $100 for the adapter brackets is a complete cash grab but worth it.

You can email PRP what fabrics you are interested in and they will mail you free swatches. I did that before I had mine built.

IMG_0700.jpg

Thanks Brian and Jerry. The biggest issue I have with the stock seat (which is a bit broken down but not much) is that my butt doesn’t seem to fit in it quite right. I fit my 96 XJ just fine. The measurements are very similar in terms of overall width and the actual seating surface. I spoke with someone at PRP a couple of days ago and he said that the Daily Drivers are 22” wide (as stated on their site) and that I lose about 3” on each side leaving 16”. If that’s true, then I gain almost 5” over the XJ seats. Hard to believe. Would either of you be willing to confirm the distance between the side bolsters - the actual “my butt and thighs go here” distance? I don’t have a problem with the higher sides getting in and out. NI’m open to other seat choices but everything else about these seats seems to fit what i’m Loooking for. BTW, I don’t spend a lot of time on the trail other than some fairly nasty fire roads and paths to camps. Not much boulder crawling or mud slinging. At this point my time is spent just getting where I need to go.

Thanks Brian and Jerry. The biggest issue I have with the stock seat (which is a bit broken down but not much) is that my butt doesn’t seem to fit in it quite right. I fit my 96 XJ just fine. The measurements are very similar in terms of overall width and the actual seating surface. I spoke with someone at PRP a couple of days ago and he said that the Daily Drivers are 22” wide (as stated on their site) and that I lose about 3” on each side leaving 16”. If that’s true, then I gain almost 5” over the XJ seats. Hard to believe. Would either of you be willing to confirm the distance between the side bolsters - the actual “my butt and thighs go here” distance? I don’t have a problem with the higher sides getting in and out. NI’m open to other seat choices but everything else about these seats seems to fit what i’m Loooking for. BTW, I don’t spend a lot of time on the trail other than some fairly nasty fire roads and paths to camps. Not much boulder crawling or mud slinging. At this point my time is spent just getting where I need to go.

I am measuring a tick over 17 across at the widest point but it does taper in towards the seatback to around 11 inches. And I think where to measure here is a bit subjective since the bolsters aren’t flat. I’m 5-9 145 lbs and I fit in them just fine but I could see a bigger dude maybe thinking they are too small.

05863e2fde88b2961cb98ed754046609.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Here are a couple of pics of the stock seats in mine. Based on your picture I think the PRP would be better. It's actually at the front of the seat that I am feeling like it's too small. the measurements seem to back that up. Now to see if I can figure out how to post the pictures..
Appreciate the assist!
LJ_stock_seat_1.jpg

LJ_stock_seat_2.jpg

Reactions: FTI76