License Plate Relocation Idea

I mounted mine in the spare. It has a plate light and a backup light.
2017-04-09 rear plate.jpg

Reactions: TJ Starting and L J
We wire up the little lights for spare mounted plates quite a bit. We use the two factory contacts as hots for 3rd brake light and license plate light. We pick up the ground through the hinge by grounding to the gate. Hasn't not worked yet. Much easier than adapting that Dakota Digital stuff in there.

A little confused about how this is done. Do you pull off the factory contacts? Any chance you can walk me through how to do this?

A little confused about how this is done. Do you pull off the factory contacts? Any chance you can walk me through how to do this?
If you understand that 12volt DC circuits require a positive and a ground, then it makes more sense. We use the factory contacts to supply two separate 12volt positive outputs and pick up the common ground through the tailgate being bolted to the body which is also grounded.

If you understand that 12volt DC circuits require a positive and a ground, then it makes more sense. We use the factory contacts to supply two separate 12volt positive outputs and pick up the common ground through the tailgate being bolted to the body which is also grounded.
Where are you stealing the 12v power from for the license plate light on the contacts?

For a moment I thought you were referring to me when I sliced my sidewall open on Sledgehammer. Fortunately 20-30 tire plugs allowed me to plug the slice well enough to hold enough air make it the rest of the way.

After two such events on the trail with catastrophic sidewall damage I won't run without a spare either. Fortunately I was carrying a spare the last time it happened in Arizona on Hard Ass.

View attachment 239586

View attachment 239595
Probably wouldn't have worked for a severe sidewall cut like this one but they definitely work on smaller ones.
http://www.sidewallslug.comI carry with me, sell them to our club members and have used them with great success on the trail.

Probably wouldn't have worked for a severe sidewall cut like this one but they definitely work on smaller ones.
http://www.sidewallslug.comI carry with me, sell them to our club members and have used them with great success on the trail.
Looks like it'd work well for a trailered rig but I'd sure hate to have to drive my rig home with one of those installed.

Looks like it'd work well for a trailered rig but I'd sure hate to have to drive my rig home with one of those installed.
Can't disagree, but we do what we must. They are not cheap junk and really work.

Used one on an F150 on the trail a couple weeks ago. He blew the SW early in the day, wheeled all day and drove 50 miles home on I-80. Kid had a mis-matched spare.

Reactions: TJ Starting