Lift and tires question

Ahow74

Currently have 2.5" lift with 33x12.50 BFG KO and 7" fender flares. I'm wanting to switch to 31x10.50 but not sure how they will look with extended flares. Anyone running a similar setup? Pics would be wonderful.
487fdc8a6903d86068d692c55468b758.jpg
this is how she sits now just picked up a warn front bumper though going to ditch the stinger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless you get the proper backspace, they won't look right. I'm not sure what the exact backspace you'd need for those extended flares will be, but it's just a matter of time before someone more knowledgable on this matter chimes in!

Good looking TJ BTW, I love the color!

Reactions: Ahow74
Mine had the extended flares on it when I got it. I thought that it kinda looked like this with the original 235 tires, and the 31x10.50's on it.
BigAl01.jpg

Replaced with the stock flares after shearing one off on the trail backing into a brush pile. Flares are easy to change out, and pretty reasonable in price. Tip: get some very thin adhesive backed weather stripping foam from the hardware store. Apply it to the back of the fender flares before installing. It hides the gaps and keeps most crap from collecting between the flares and the TJ body.

Reactions: Ahow74 and Chris
Are your 33x12.5's outside the 7" flares now? If you're staying with the same wheels you can count on the 31x10.5's being 1" less on the outside and 1" less on the inside. You can also count on having more wheel well space showing. Some people like that...There might be some pics out there of that kind of set up. I'm not big on that large of a fender flare. You might consider cutting them back to 4-5 inches AFTER you see what it will look like with the 31's

As already said, if you keep the same wheels, the tires will only be cut down on width by 1" on each side. Which, from the picture it looks like your tires are even with your fender flares. So your tires will be tucked in just a little behind your fender flares.

I'd just get the 31" tires, slap them on, and if you don't like how they look with the fender flares, just change the flares out!

Thanks guys.. think I'm going to go with the 31s and move toward cutting these flares flat. Might try and pick up some Moab wheels(any jeep looks better with Moab wheels IMO) to set this thing off. Also pretty impressed today, with these 33's and 3.73 gears I squeezed out 16.8 mpg on the way to the beach today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kyle_W and JMT
Some Moabs with 3 5/8-4" backspacing would be awesome if flares were cut back properly or returned to stock flares, which are 3 1/2". I'd do the wheels first, then the flares

Last edited:
Probably going to look similar to this:
image-jpg.12601.jpg

@Zen chisenhall stated, in response to my question as to why the flares looked wider than needed for the tire size "They were on it when I bought it. The previous owner must've had larger tires and kept them when he traded it in. It had 30s" on it when I bought it (so it looked really silly) I put 32" 11.50s" on it and should've gone with 33s". I plan on either putting wheel spacers or different rims on it in the future to get them out flush with the flares"