Lift Help! BB vs Coils

Ryan H

I want my TJ lifted when I get home from school this summer and am trying to decide on the right lift. Right now its either a RC 2in BB, Teraflex 2in BB, or a RC 2.5in w/ coils and shocks. I want to run 32s ( I would like 33s but that's pushing it). It is only a DD so I don't need much added performance. Would the added .5in of lift really be that much more beneficial? Would it ride ok with just the BB on it? I got it last summer and am totally new to this and don"t want to either ruin my Jeep or waste money. I do know that I will need new rims and will be getting 15x8, 3.75 BS.

Any input, advice, and help would be greatly appreciated. Please help guide me in the right direction! Thanks!

Here's a good guide to get you started: A beginner's guide to lifting your Jeep Wrangler TJ

I'm still working on it, but it's getting there.

Anyways, I would stay away from Rough Country if you like on-road manners. Rough Country builds some low quality stuff (hence the reason they are so cheap compared to others). The worst part about their suspension kits are the way they ride (it really is ROUGH) and the crappy shocks you get with them. If it were me I would spend just a bit more money and get the 2.5" OME lift which can be had for around $850, comes with 2.5" springs, very, very nice OME Nitrocharger shocks, and rides absolutely excellent on the street (trust me, it rides like a Cadillac on-road, I LOVE it). OME in addition to that is owned by ARB and is a very reputable and well respected brand among just about any off-road enthusiast.

With a 2.5" lift you can easily fit 32" tires and it will both look good and perform good. Your choice of rims with 15x8 and 3.75 back spacing will fit perfectly as well.

I'd heed my advice though as it is solid. Stay away from the RC lift and spend just a little bit more and get the OME 2.5" lift.

OME 2.5" Lift Kit for Jeep Wrangler TJ

I recently picked up a 2" bds suspension. Rides better than stock. Still have to put on my 1"bl but here's a pic with just the 2" and 33x12.5s. Ran me about 650$ in my hands.
uploadfromtaptalk1456940079549.jpg

Thoughts on the Zone 3in lift then? I'm starting to be persuaded to go bigger/coils instead of a minimal BB

The Zone lift is pretty well regarded as being a good and affordable lift. If I was on a budget I would choose Zone over Rough Country any day.

Reactions: StG58 and Serbonze
If you're going to do yourself, spray with pb or liquid wrench as often as you can as early as you can before you do it. I had one hell of a weekend without doing it.

Reactions: Chris
I second the PB blaster. Though over here in the PNW we don't have much rust so my bolts were easy to get off.

Reactions: macox49
Will a Steering stabilizer be a good investment with the lift?

Your stock steering stabilizer is more than up to the task as long as it doesn't have a shit ton of miles on it. If it's 100k miles or more on the stock one, just replace it with a new one. However, if it has low miles on it you'll be just fine with the existing one.

The steering stabilizers don't make that much of a difference in my experience.

Your stock steering stabilizer is more than up to the task as long as it doesn't have a shit ton of miles on it. If it's 100k miles or more on the stock one, just replace it with a new one. However, if it has low miles on it you'll be just fine with the existing one.

The steering stabilizers don't make that much of a difference in my experience.

Thanks Chris, I have about 107K on her right now so I'm thinking I'll just go ahead and get a new one

I will vouch for Zone Offroad lifts. I have sold upwards of 250 of thier 3" and 4.25" combo lifts. Never a complaint (unusual I know, but true). Get the Hydros for a DD and if you plan on wheeling it a decent amount, go for the Nitros. While I was at it, I would sell a lot of adjustable front trackbars (no drilling a new hole on the axle side mount to recenter the axle), 3/4" front coil spacers to compensate for winch/HD bumper. Get a stabilizer while your at it if yours is the original or close to the total miles on your TJ. Just get the one that comes with the 3" kit or go to your local parts store. 90% of them are made by Tenneco anyway (Gabriel, Monroe, Zone, Rancho, factory OEM for the big three trucks and many more).

Allen

I will vouch for Zone Offroad lifts. I have sold upwards of 250 of thier 3" and 4.25" combo lifts. Never a complaint (unusual I know, but true). Get the Hydros for a DD and if you plan on wheeling it a decent amount, go for the Nitros. While I was at it, I would sell a lot of adjustable front trackbars (no drilling a new hole on the axle side mount to recenter the axle), 3/4" front coil spacers to compensate for winch/HD bumper. Get a stabilizer while your at it if yours is the original or close to the total miles on your TJ. Just get the one that comes with the 3" kit or go to your local parts store. 90% of them are made by Tenneco anyway (Gabriel, Monroe, Zone, Rancho, factory OEM for the big three trucks and many more).

Allen
Thank you so much, exactly the type of I really needed to sell me on it! Sounds like a solid suspension system and will definitely pursue that one.

Reactions: Chris

Allen
Is the 4.25" combo kit better than the 4" suspension only?