Lift ideas

Brad Kotarsky

I've been looking around at the different lifts for my 2001. I think I've made up my mind on the rc 4" for $500 with the addition of an 1 1/4 body lift with 35 inch tires. Firstly, would I need to buy any additions besides those above? (Driveshaft, sye, steering, brake lines, etc.) Second, I've heard from a few people with the rc lift that for it to go into 2nd gear and 4th all the way the shifter boot needs to be removed. What's the deal with that? It already has Dana 44's axles off a rubicon also.

20151016_150237-01.jpeg

I hope you like a stiff ride, Rough Country's shocks are notorious for that. At least consider a different shock to replace the RC shocks. Yes you definitely want to install a SYE kit and CV driveshaft once the suspension height reaches 4" or taller. Otherwise you'll experience drivetrain vibrations.

You don't need to remove the shifter boot for a suspension lift. That's only needed at times when a body lift has been installed since they restrict the shift lever movement by increasing the distance between the transmission and shifter boot opening.

You'll want to regear your axles to keep your power when going to the larger diameter 35" tires. If you have the 5-speed transmission, 4.88 is the optimal ratio for that size tire. Go with 4.56 if you have the 32RH 3-speed automatic.

Yes, they will definetly be changed out. I have tried those shocks numerous times with poor results. The kit comes with a drop kit which I'm almost thinking doesn't help out the shifting problem. Already has been regeared to 4.56's. I'm almost considering keeping those for now and seeing how it goes. (The previous owner did that.) I will be pricing everything out shortly. Thank you sir.

A tcase drop kit is the other thing that can cause shifting problems, for the same reason a body lift does. And a 1" tcase drop is not enough to cure the vibes a 4" suspension lift will cause on a TJ. I'd sell or trash the tcase drop and just go with the SYE and CV driveshaft. I forgot to mention you'll need adjustable length upper rear control arms so the pinion angle can be raised to work properly with the CV driveshaft.

The pinion angle MUST look like this with a CV driveshaft and you get it by making the upper control arm longer which rolls the axle to the angle shown. You'll also need an angled track bar relocation bracket so the track bar can bolt up to the axle's now angled track bar mount.

cv_angle.gif

You'll for sure need a SYE and a CV driveshaft. In addition you'll also need adjustable rear upper control arms, but at 4" I would just get adjustable control arms for ALL of them to make life easier and fine tune things. At 4" it isn't a good idea to skip out and by cheap parts either.

Also, be prepared to spend some money. 4" isn't cheap, trust me. No way a t-case drop will work at 4".

I'm prepared Chris haha I sold my Sportster.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Okay, as long as you're prepared. I just finished the 4" lift on mine and the costs start adding up quick! With the Sportster sold, you've got the means though!

It was hard! Trust me... I'm hoping to get this thing done here pretty soon then hop over to my yj. Thanks for all the help guys. Appreciate it. I just looked at all the items that were suggested and it's actually not as bad as I thought. Suprised me lol

A SYE should be around $200 and a driveshaft around $300. So yeah, it's not too bad.

Just do it before Summer :D

Without a doubt! My goal is like I said get this done ASAP. My deadline for my YJ build is jeep week (august 25th-28th). Doing a "jeep week or bust" deal. That's tub, axles, framework, glass, lift, and I have an sbc out of an '85 vette for it set aside. Waiting to hear back from the organizers about the whole promotion for it. They are supposed to have updates and crap to get people all riled up about it. Booth and everything at the convention center and be the "official" recovery vehicle for the trail ride and beach crawl. I hope it works out as planned! Lots of work to do.

Reactions: Chris
Without a doubt! My goal is like I said get this done ASAP. My deadline for my YJ build is jeep week (august 25th-28th). Doing a "jeep week or bust" deal. That's tub, axles, framework, glass, lift, and I have an sbc out of an '85 vette for it set aside. Waiting to hear back from the organizers about the whole promotion for it. They are supposed to have updates and crap to get people all riled up about it. Booth and everything at the convention center and be the "official" recovery vehicle for the trail ride and beach crawl. I hope it works out as planned! Lots of work to do.

I'll say so, you'll have to post some pictures of this once you're done! Sounds like it should be pretty cool!

I thought with Wranglers it was never over? :D
You got me there Chris haha you have to see my garage. You'd think a 2 bay 2 deep garage with a lift would be big enough for 1 little tiny wrangler... nope!

You got me there Chris haha you have to see my garage. You'd think a 2 bay 2 deep garage with a lift would be big enough for 1 little tiny wrangler... nope!

I know the feeling. We are buying an acre of land so I can build a massive garage on their for the lift and all my 'projects'. It never ends, ever... Especially the Jeep. I always think I'll be done, but then I decide to do something else.

Reactions: Brad Kotarsky
I know the feeling. We are buying an acre of land so I can build a massive garage on their for the lift and all my 'projects'. It never ends, ever... Especially the Jeep. I always think I'll be done, but then I decide to do something else.
I have 2 motorcycles started, 2 waiting, a '66 Nova that needs an interior yet, another '66 Nova waiting out back with my '48 gmc, just finished my '64 chevelle, these jeeps, and 2 chevy c/k beds that I'm converting to benches that fold off a wall. Ever see those? Pretty damn cool.

Reactions: Chris
I have 2 motorcycles started, 2 waiting, a '66 Nova that needs an interior yet, another '66 Nova waiting out back with my '48 gmc, just finished my '64 chevelle, these jeeps, and 2 chevy c/k beds that I'm converting to benches that fold off a wall. Ever see those? Pretty damn cool.

No, I'd like to see those though! Sounds pretty interesting!