Lift it or leave it stock?

Jeep9748

TJ Enthusiast
So I am in the wait process to get my Sahara back from TrailQuest. They are installing Saf-T-Caps on a lot of the frame. Anywho, my question is do I lift or leave stock? The sahara is all original minus rear bumper that is pretty close to stock. 97 Sahara, 96K original miles. I even have the window sticker from the dealership. Part of me wants to lift and modify. Part wants to leave stock and original as it is 21 years young. and a small part wants to modify just the bumpers....Throwing this one to the masses to see what others would do?

So I am in the wait process to get my Sahara back from TrailQuest. They are installing Saf-T-Caps on a lot of the frame. Anywho, my question is do I lift or leave stock? The sahara is all original minus rear bumper that is pretty close to stock. 97 Sahara, 96K original miles. I even have the window sticker from the dealership. Part of me wants to lift and modify. Part wants to leave stock and original as it is 21 years young. and a small part wants to modify just the bumpers....Throwing this one to the masses to see what others would do?

Well, what do you want to do with it?

If you want to run her on some rough trails, a 4" lift would be perfect and allow you to run 33s as well.

If you're not going to do much in the way of rough trails, a modest lift of 2" or leaving her stock would be just fine as well.

Do you have plans on running larger tires in the future?

Cybr- the most I like is 31x10.50x15. I really don't like big lift kits. I have done all the lifts one can imagine. I guess I should have been more specific. I will never run a 3 or larger lift. The TJ was in my opinion the most "universal" platform. I love to fabricate and customize, but I also love the originality of the TJ. The reason I am leaning to not modifying is its soon becoming non existant.

Reactions: RMETeeJay and KCsTJ
Ohio doesn't have a lot of offroading events. there are a few and I have been to all of them. I have noticed that unless you are super modified with 35 and up tires and dual lockers, etc, that the stock jeep can do most everything else.

I am actually thinking about a 1" body lift to clear 31's and leaving it. I love 31's and want to retain as much stock as I can. Just fishing to see what others would do. and or there recommendations on body lifts?

Just fishing to see what others would do.

The only thing we agree on is we like TJs. There is not one lift, locker, color, year, gear, shock, bumper, winch or anything else we all agree on. So welcome.......to Pandoras Box

I'd say lift it, lock it and wheel it, but that runs contrary to your post, but you asked ;).

There is no "right" way.

Build what you want, decide what that is and ask direct questions to get you there.

Reactions: H_E_H
I've also been wondering whether to modify my Rubicon or keep it stock. Maybe I am modifying it to some degree, if bed liner in the tub and on the bumpers is considered modified.

As for the 1" body lift, I'm not sure it's needed to clear the 31x10.50x15s, I have no lift and am running Goodyear Duratrac
LT235/85 R16. That's roughly 9.3x 31.7x16 so they're somewhat narrower but slightly taller and I've had no problems with the body. I know they will rub the suspension when turning as sharp as possible but I'm sure it's because I went back to the stock wheels.

20180608_081835.jpg

I am actually thinking about a 1" body lift to clear 31's and leaving it. I love 31's and want to retain as much stock as I can. Just fishing to see what others would do. and or there recommendations on body lifts?

I'm in the same boat. Mine will be our family toy to cruise around the area with. We don't have any trails or anything to go on and even if we did I would only ever do light trails.

I'm thinking the same as you, 32's were three biggest I was thinking of going but probably stick with 31's. I'm just not sure if I should go with a 2.5 inch lift or now I wonder if a small body lift would work. I just want it to have a nice stout look.

That’s really a question that only you can answer but one thing to consider is the cost of lifting and modifying your Jeep. There’s a thread about what members have spent on their modifications and the money can get serious. Keep in mind that if you decide to lift it you want to use quality equipment and a skilled shop if you’re not going to do the work yourself. Probably the biggest mistake you could make would be to try to do it on the cheap. Then you’ll have real problems. As for me, I’ve kept my ‘97 stock and I’m very happy with it. Good luck and have fun.

Reactions: KCsTJ
Add 31s and don’t lift then. If you add a 2” lift and put 31s on it will look very goofy. Mounted those 31s are only going to measure 30”-30.5”. Just leave it stock if that’s what you really like.

Reactions: H_E_H
Well, of course I get excited and then the shop calls.........whole frame is bad, not just the section I wanted a saf-t-cap for. so know I am waiting on a call back about cost......

Well, of course I get excited and then the shop calls.........whole frame is bad, not just the section I wanted a saf-t-cap for. so know I am waiting on a call back about cost......

If you have no sentimental attachment to this Jeep, sell it or part it out. I'm in the process of swapping my frame (my Jeep is one owner, we've had it for 17 years). You're looking at around $1500 for a good frame (if you can even find one) and 30-50 hours of labor to swap the frame in.

If you have no sentimental attachment to this Jeep, sell it or part it out. I'm in the process of swapping my frame (my Jeep is one owner, we've had it for 17 years). You're looking at around $1500 for a good frame (if you can even find one) and 30-50 hours of labor to swap the frame in.
Well I think, still waiting on call from shop, that is will not be worth the cost so I will put the seats and top on the Ammo can. Then part out the rest.. I will be able to sell a hard top, seats, fenders and a perfect tub. engine and tranny possible sell. These are the options I think I will take. The ammo can is like a kid to me, had it for 11 years, my daughter is extremlly attached to it. My son absolutely loves the ammo can.

Well I think, still waiting on call from shop, that is will not be worth the cost so I will put the seats and top on the Ammo can. Then part out the rest.. I will be able to sell a hard top, seats, fenders and a perfect tub. engine and tranny possible sell. These are the options I think I will take. The ammo can is like a kid to me, had it for 11 years, my daughter is extremlly attached to it. My son absolutely loves the ammo can.

I'm in the same boat as you but I am going through with a frame swap. Something to think about if you're attached to the Jeep. Realistically, swapping the frame out can range anywhere from $3500 to $10,000. If you're in Ohio, DaveysJeeps is a good source for frames, but they want $2,500 for one. Then add $4000 or more for labor and you're looking at $6500 total. Financially, swapping frames doesn't make much sense. But in the bigger picture, owning a TJ doesn't make much financial sense either ;).

So the shop called....$3281 for the repairs I need. Of course I told them to just let me know when its done so I can pick my jeep. That will get new frame from above front axle to above rear axle. Essentially I will have 80% new frame. Plus new brake lines, evap lines, and one new body mount. For the labor and parts, I was more than happy. So in roughly a week and a half,(there is one jeep ahead of mine) I will have a 97 Sahara with a pristine body and interior and new frame and brake line. All I will have to finish are the valve cover, rear diff cover, and front brakes. So happy, as I know it could have been WAY worse....

So the shop called....$3281 for the repairs I need. Of course I told them to just let me know when its done so I can pick my jeep. That will get new frame from above front axle to above rear axle. Essentially I will have 80% new frame. Plus new brake lines, evap lines, and one new body mount. For the labor and parts, I was more than happy. So in roughly a week and a half,(there is one jeep ahead of mine) I will have a 97 Sahara with a pristine body and interior and new frame and brake line. All I will have to finish are the valve cover, rear diff cover, and front brakes. So happy, as I know it could have been WAY worse....

Great news !

My 06 X has 16 inch wheels with LT265/75R-16 tires, Stock height suspension, Moog problem solver rear coils and Rancho 5000X shocks on all 4. I have a 1 inch body lift because of the Genright extended range gas tank.

At first I was super reluctant to go with a body lift, thought it would look like crap and have that ugly raised crack at the rear, under the tailgate. In reality, it looks fine. So between the tires, and the body lift, the Jeep is high enough for the type of off road I like to do, sits high enough for me. Has that small lift appearance, and maintains a great ride on dirt and paved roads and highways.

Not trying to sway you one way or the other, it's your jeep. Thought I'd pass on my experience with the body lift and stock suspension.

Ray

Reactions: Jeep9748 and Fonz54