Lift recommendations for 4 cylinder

Jaidyn

So I've got a 99 wrangler with an inline 4 with a 5 speed and was thinking about getting a four inch suspension lift with one and a half inch spacers. I was wondering what size tires you guys would reccomended because I know I cant got too big with that 4 banger. Also If you guys have any recommendations on improving the performance I get out of the inline 4 that would be appreciated. By the way any advice on the "no bus" issue? I've already replaced the CPU

IMG_20200818_124459_621.jpg

Last edited:
Not changing the gears?

Get a 2.5 inch lift and 31's.
I'm deadly serious.
Keep it on the cheap...
Hell get some Rough country 2.5" springs and either Rancho 5000x or Skyjacker black max shocks...sway bar disconnects to match the 2.5 springs .... some 31" tires and call it a day.

You'll still lose 5th gear on most slight hills with 31's but it's livable.

More power from the 4 cylinder? Nope.
Nothing useful anyways. You might take it from no power to low power. See what I mean? Either way...weak power.

The only positive is the 4 10 gears in your platform. You still have to off road no matter the tire pretty much in low range. Always.

A 4 inch or more lift to add a massive tire without changing gears especially on the 4 cylinder...silly.

If you were going to add 5.13 gears you could get away with 33's.

Remember when going to a big tire you're adding weight and rolling resistance. It sucks the tiny bit of life right out of the 2.5

If you're dreaming of a Jeep with massive tires with that 4 cylinder and no gear change...you'll love it in the driveway. You'll HATE it on the highway.

had the same, put you on a set of

Hankook Dynapro MT (RT03) 235/75R15 and leave it be. it will still drive the same and if you get it stuck you're somewhere you shouldn't be. their quiet and lasted 45k miles on mine, i thought that was great for a mud tire ran mainly on-road​

There's no such thing as more power from it, I would say if you want to lift the 4cyl even 3 inches it's not the end of the world, but like others have said you may want to reconsider anything in the flavor of 33s or 4 inch lift. Even with 31s you're gonna want 4.88 regear if I'm not mistaken. I ran 31s and stock 4.10s when I had my 4 cylinder and it was not that great. "livable".

Again, stick with 31s. The body lift is really all you will need unless you are planning on going on the toughest trails. And for that you would want a re-gearing anyway.
If you want to run those 35s (for the lift you are talking about) get the 4.0 L.

Guys I wheel with have 4 bangers and max 35s with 4.88 gears and we need to often wait for them anytime we hit a hill.
If you don't want to regear then as others are saying 31 or 32s in a narrow/light tire/wheel combo is best.

I'd be amazed at the places you can go with that setup. I'm actually considering it myself as a second Tj. Though I'd still do a belly up which then the price starts skyrocketing.

Reactions: TJ4Jim
the best thing about the little 4 cyl. is even with the 4 horsepower it puts out you cant spin the tires, so it just keeps moving along !!!! dont forget to give them big H.P. v-8's a thumbs up and beep beep as you drive past them !!! (y)(y)(y)

Reactions: Blondie70
Thank you guys for the advice. A inline 6 is out of my budget right now but hey shes banging on 4 cause 6 is to easy haha. I'll most likely go with 31s like yall are saying. But is a 4 inch lift really that bad though? At least I'm not going 6 inches. Thinking about a Currie 4 inch

Won't look right with 4 and 31s, would want at least 32s and maybe best with 33s....my thoughts.

For 31s a simple 2 or 2 1/2 inch spring lift is all you need. At 4" you are almost guaranteed to be talking about SYE, new driveshafts, adjustable links, and so on. It might make that 4.0 seem cheap. If you want to go 'big' then get a rig that can better support all those upgrades. It (to me) would seem silly to spend on all the suspension to fit 35s, but only have the 4 cyl to turn them.
Just one guy's opinion.

Reactions: Jim King
Just to clarify the 4.0 would need the same updates to run a 4in lift just more power and better resale. As mentioned you can get the 4 in + height many ways that may not require the adjustable control arms, SYE, etc. I have the. Zone 4.25 which is a 3 sup and 1.25 body lift, did not need any of that but each TJ is unique and yours might. Good luck

Thank you guys for the advice. A inline 6 is out of my budget right now but hey shes banging on 4 cause 6 is to easy haha. I'll most likely go with 31s like yall are saying. But is a 4 inch lift really that bad though? At least I'm not going 6 inches. Thinking about a Currie 4 inch
31s with a 1.25" BL, Zone 4.25" lift and Stock 225 tires with a 4.25" Zone lift too.

RUBI BL1 (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg

RUBI ZONE LIFT big (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg

zone lift 1 (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Blondie70
What's the max height you can go on it without having to change the drive shaft, etc
Stop and ask what you’re trying to achieve with a big lift and tires. Do you need it for performance or is it just for looks? Either way, you’re in deep regarding $$$.

If you’re not flexing your suspension out, get some 2” spacers with 31s and call it a day. I wouldn’t go farther than 2.5” on stock arms and track bars. Once you get to 3” you’re into some serious $$$ to get the correct geometry back.

I had a 2.5 with 31s with the 4.10s and it was barely adequate. You’ll be out $1500 +/- alone for a regear if you get any tire above 31” because your driving experience will be miserable without the new gears. The 2.5 isn’t a bad engine, it’s only downfall is freeway speed.

Either settle for what you have and make it work best you can, or sell it, save your money, and get a 4.0.

Anything over 2 1/2" suspension lift (springs or pucks) is likley to need a SYE and driveshaft. Every TJ is different, and I'm sure there is someone claiming 6" springs with no vibrations and perfect steering to boot. This is as unlikely as an honest politician.
That's why I suggested get the TJ that has a 4.0 in it so after you pour $$ into it you won't be so underpowered.
An affordable 2" puck (budget) lift should (but might not) run with minimal or no vibration issues and will be happy with stock parts. You will need some longer shocks to take advantage of the pucks, but that's really it. You will be able to toss on some 31s and find out if you are happy there, or really want to go to 33s.
Then you can make an informed decision for what and how YOU want to go with a Jeep. At that point decide to find a 4.0 TJ or be happy with what you have.👍