Lift suggestions for 1997 Sahara

Sweetlou602

I'm going to look at a 1997 sahara this afternoon to possibly buy. It seems to be in very well kept shape and sitting pretty nice so far. I think I'm going to be able to get it for around $5500-$6000. It has 169,000 miles and is a 5 speed I6. I know that's a little high on mileage but it's going to be a garage kept toy and not a daily driver. He says it has a 2.5" jks suspension lift and brand new 31s on it.

Do you guys think this is a nice find for the price, and if I get it I want to rig it to run 33s. What are your suggestions on the best way to accomplish a nice suspension setup with what it already has? I appreciate the

output.jpg

output(1).jpg

output(3).jpg

output(4).jpg

output(5).jpg

If the frame is in good condition, i think that's a very good deal from the looks of it. Of course you'll know how everything ia mechanically when you test drive it. If you want to run 33's, i'd almost be tempted to say that the jeep would run them with a 2" lift. I would most definetely check and see what gear ratio he is running under the jeep. 3.73s and numerically higher are generally the gear ratio youll want to get to those 33's turning. It's also very important when you switch to 33's to go to a C load tire and run the pressure at 24-26 psi. Anything higher than a 6 ply ends up being too stiff for the jeep, and if you make the mistake like i did of running 8 ply LT tires at 35psi, it will ride like a tank. Hope this helps a little bit! Let us know how it goes!

If the frame is in good condition, i think that's a very good deal from the looks of it. Of course you'll know how everything ia mechanically when you test drive it. If you want to run 33's, i'd almost be tempted to say that the jeep would run them with a 2" lift. I would most definetely check and see what gear ratio he is running under the jeep. 3.73s and numerically higher are generally the gear ratio youll want to get to those 33's turning. It's also very important when you switch to 33's to go to a C load tire and run the pressure at 24-26 psi. Anything higher than a 6 ply ends up being too stiff for the jeep, and if you make the mistake like i did of running 8 ply LT tires at 35psi, it will ride like a tank. Hope this helps a little bit! Let us know how it goes!

Thanks for the info! I was contemplating a 1.25 body lift to go along with the suspension lift. I hope it checks out its the best deal I've seen in 100 miles from where I'm located.

Thanks for the info! I was contemplating a 1.25 body lift to go along with the suspension lift. I hope it checks out its the best deal I've seen in 100 miles from where I'm located.
That is a really good deal. I have no information as far as body lifts go, so i'm not sure if there are any extras needed to accomplish it? Maybe someone can chime in on that part. I bought my 99 Sport with the 4.0 6 cylinder for 5,500 3 years ago with 176k miles. Im at 230k now. For reference, i have a 3.5" suspension lift, no body lift, with 33x12.50x15 inch tires with a 3.75" backspacing running extended fender flares, and this is how they sit underneath the jeep.

Attachments

• 20200603_193115.jpg
    20200603_193115.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 74
That is a really good deal. I have no information as far as body lifts go, so i'm not sure if there are any extras needed to accomplish it? Maybe someone can chime in on that part. I bought my 99 Sport with the 4.0 6 cylinder for 5,500 3 years ago with 176k miles. Im at 230k now. For reference, i have a 3.5" suspension lift, no body lift, with 33x12.50x15 inch tires with a 3.75" backspacing running extended fender flares, and this is how they sit underneath the jeep.

That's bout how I want mine to sit! Yeah hopefully somebody can chime in on the BL.

Reactions: Babygools99
I see some good additions, including a ZJ tie rod upgrade, sway bar disconnects, and a JKS track bar. I'd run it just how it sits and wear out those 31's out first. Once you figure out what gear ratio it has, then you can come up with a game plan to beef up the brakes, and re-gear for 33's. Add a 1.25" body lift and keep the JKS lift.

I see some good additions, including a ZJ tie rod upgrade, sway bar disconnects, and a JKS track bar. I'd run it just how it sits and wear out those 31's out first. Once you figure out what gear ratio it has, then you can come up with a game plan to beef up the brakes, and re-gear for 33's. Add a 1.25" body lift and keep the JKS lift.

He said it's got 3.73s in it right now but I'll check that out when I get there this afternoon. The top is brand new and tires have 700 miles on them. I hope it all checks out good because I have a feeling this is a hell of a deal. Coworker knows him and told me he had it for sale. He's kept it off marketplace and CL said he didn't care if he sold it or kept it, but was willing to make a deal on it.

Reactions: bobthetj03
Yeah i would reccomend upgrading the brakes as well like bob said. And my jeep has a 3.73 gear ratio, and its not even really the most ideal to turn my 33's in all honesty, but i've driven it with this gear ratio and 3.73's have gotten me by.

I ran 33's with 3.73's and a 5 speed for a couple years before re-gearing. It's doable, but not ideal. 5th gear if pretty much useless, and it feels like you're starting off in 2nd gear from a stop sign. You can beef up the brakes with a set of Black Magic Brake pads and Centric rotors for a fair price.

I ran 33's with 3.73's and a 5 speed for a couple years before re-gearing. It's doable, but not ideal. 5th gear if pretty much useless, and it feels like you're starting off in 2nd gear from a stop sign. You can beef up the brakes with a set of Black Magic Brake pads and Centric rotors for a fair price.
That's exactly what i've been doing. 5th gear never gets used. I've been saving up for a re-gear. Did you keep the 33's after re-gear? If you did, what gears did you go to?

Also, like bob said, i do think its very important that if the tires are good, that you run them down first. Nothings worse than spending a big chunk of change on tires for a new vehicle and then something mechanically acts out. I would make sure that your jeep is top notch and doesn't require anything that you absolutely need to be replaced, and when you feel confident that it can get you from point a to point b without breaking down, that's when you start having fun with it. I only advise this because the very day i bought my last set of tired for my 99, the TOB on the clutch went out on the way home. Things like that have a funny way of finding the most inconvenient time to bite you.

That's exactly what i've been doing. 5th gear never gets used. I've been saving up for a re-gear. Did you keep the 33's after re-gear? If you did, what gears did you go to?

I did keep the 33's. I geared to 4.56's. Got my power back, and is much better on the trail too.

So after some reading, 3.73s weren't introduced until 98 so at best this guy is gunna have 3.55s on it. Seems like that's barely enough to keep the 31s running good.

So after some reading, 3.73s weren't introduced until 98 so at best this guy is gunna have 3.55s on it. Seems like that's barely enough to keep the 31s running good.
I would test drive it and see how it feels to you. Its always very possible to find a Dana 30/Dana 35 complete axle combo that someone wants to replace. and if you aren't afraid of the work, and they have the gear ratio you are looking for, it might even be cheaper to go with that option than regearing the differentials themselves. The only con to that iption, is you won't know if those axles have any issues or not until theyre under the jeep and rolling.