Lift / Tire and Wheel thoughts

Alvin A

After replacing my RMS on my ‘06 TJ this weekend, my next upgrade will be a suspension lift with new wheels and tires. Thinking on the Skyjacker 2 1/2” lift with M95 performance shocks, then some Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3 tires (P265/75R16) mounted on Quadratec Rubicon Xtreme wheels in black...Thoughts ?

So far as suspension lifts go, my personal opinion is there are a lot of good brands to choose from out there... but Skyjacker and Rough Country are not two of those good brands. Those two would be the very last brands I'd go with. I know Quadratec makes them and their QT branded wheels seem like the best but they're not. I stopped looking at Quadratec probably 15 years ago, they are just a dealer who resells whatever brands they can make a good profit on. You may want to send a message to member @Steve Crawford who just messaged me with all kinds of problems with his recently installed Quadratec 3.5" suspension lift.

If I wanted a good quality but inexpensive suspension lift package, I'd go with a Zone. 3". I don't personally run Zone, I run Currie, but Zone gets nothing but solid recommendations and their lifts are pretty complete. OME is another good manufacturer, it'd be right up there with Zone. Good shocks that are only moderately priced yet provide an excellent ride on the road but awesome offroad control include Rancho's newer RS5000x which is gas-charged. Don't confuse the recommended RS5000x with Rancho's older hydraulic RS5000 which rides way too stiffly for a Wrangler.

Wheel-wise, that's a matter of what rocks your boat style-wise. But you can do better than Quadratec's rebadged wheels, that is for sure. One brand that is sold by nearly every 4x4 shop in the US is American Racing which makes good quality low-cost wheels. Like at http://www.americanracing.com/wheel...odelID=&search=1&redirectTo=browse-wheels.cfm. I love their AR23 which I used to run before getting beadlocks but then I'm an old guy and that style isn't exactly too stylish on the street right now.

What you want are wheels with a 5x4.5" mounting bolt pattern and somewhere between 3.75" and 4" of backspacing. A 15x8" is more desirable for offroading, I'd only go for a bigger diameter if it's more for street and looks. Not to mention most tires are less costly for 15" wheels and there's a bigger selection of Jeep-appropriate offroad type tires with 15" wheels. If you plan to offroad much I'd avoid 10" wide wheels and stick with an 8" wide wheel. You can air your tires down to lower air pressures safely with an 8" wide wheel than with a 10" wide wheel... which means the tire is less likely to unseat when aired way down on an 8" wide wheel than if it was a 10" wide wheel. It takes more air pressure to keep the tire seated against two edges that are only 8" apart than when they are 10" apart.

The above is just one old guy's personal opinions, no doubt you'll get other great opinions here too. :)

Last edited:
You couldn’t pay me to touch anything from Skyjacker or Rough Country.

If I was going to go 2.5”, I would go with either the OME lift, Rancho lift, or BDS.

B017AD93-6163-4881-B5C3-E384522081CC.jpeg
This OME ?

So far as suspension lifts go, my personal opinion is there are a lot of good brands to choose from out there... but Skyjacker and Rough Country are not two of those good brands. Those two would be the very last brands I'd go with. I know Quadratec makes them and their QT branded wheels seem like the best but they're not. I stopped looking at Quadratec probably 15 years ago, they are just a dealer who resells whatever brands they can make a good profit on. You may want to send a message to member @Steve Crawford who just messaged me with all kinds of problems with his recently installed Quadratec 3.5" suspension lift.

If I wanted a good quality but inexpensive suspension lift package, I'd go with a Zone. 3". I don't personally run Zone, I run Currie, but Zone gets nothing but solid recommendations and their lifts are pretty complete. OME is another good manufacturer, it'd be right up there with Zone. Good shocks that are only moderately priced yet provide an excellent ride on the road but awesome offroad control include Rancho's newer RS5000x which is gas-charged. Don't confuse the recommended RS5000x with Rancho's older hydraulic RS5000 which rides way too stiffly for a Wrangler.

Wheel-wise, that's a matter of what rocks your boat style-wise. But you can do better than Quadratec's rebadged wheels, that is for sure. One brand that is sold by nearly every 4x4 shop in the US is American Racing which makes good quality low-cost wheels. Like at http://www.americanracing.com/wheel...odelID=&search=1&redirectTo=browse-wheels.cfm. I love their AR23 which I used to run before getting beadlocks but then I'm an old guy and that style isn't exactly too stylish on the street right now.

What you want are wheels with a 5x4.5" mounting bolt pattern and somewhere between 3.75" and 4" of backspacing. A 15x8" is more desirable for offroading, I'd only go for a bigger diameter if it's more for street and looks. Not to mention most tires are less costly for 15" wheels and there's a bigger selection of Jeep-appropriate offroad type tires with 15" wheels. If you plan to offroad much I'd avoid 10" wide wheels and stick with an 8" wide wheel. You can air your tires down to lower air pressures safely with an 8" wide wheel than with a 10" wide wheel... which means the tire is less likely to unseat when aired way down on an 8" wide wheel than if it was a 10" wide wheel. It takes more air pressure to keep the tire seated against two edges that are only 8" apart than when they are 10" apart.

The above is just one old guy's personal opinions, no doubt you'll get other great opinions here too. :)

I really cannot add anything to this as Jerry just gave you a great deal of informarion.

A wheel recommendation that I have is from Extreme Terrain, Mammoth lineup. Great wheels so far, no issues and the perfect size (same size that Jerry mentioned).

Yes, correct. I have the OME lift and it rides wonderfly, Old Man Emu by the way.

20170428_083858.jpg

Reactions: Night Hawk
I really cannot add anything to this as Jerry just gave you a great deal of informarion.

A wheel recommendation that I have is from Extreme Terrain, Mammoth lineup. Great wheels so far, no issues and the perfect size (same size that Jerry mentioned).

Yes, correct. I have the OME lift and it rides wonderfly, Old Man Emu by the way.

What size wheels and tires are you running. Also, did you have to use the transfer case lowering kit with the OME lift kit ?

What size wheels and tires are you running. Also, did you have to use the transfer case lowering kit with the OME lift kit ?

The wheels are 15x8 (link below), and those are my stock tires, 29" but can easily fit 32". Going up to 33"s, the proper way, costs a bunch more money. I plan to upgrade to 32" but I recently spent my Jeep fund on more audio equipment . I like music more than tire size.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/mammoth-boulder-charcoal-15-8-J100612.html?utm_content=XT Wheel - Replica|Mammoth&utm_source=google-pla&utm_medium=shopping&T5_Var2=shopping&T5_Var3=yellow&T5_Var4=J100612&intl=0&utm_campaign=XTW+Wrangler+Brands+Medium&gclid=CKj86KHBn9sCFVrTswod4bAG7A&gclsrc=ds

Please note that I have an LJ, not a TJ, and the TJ being slightly smaller in length than the LJ has short driveline geometry. So depending on on much of a lift and tire size you want, that could impact that transfer case needed to be addressed.

With that said, with only a 2.5" lift you should be fine without a transfer case drop, but other TJ owners will chime in.

Here is a link to some OME kits, econo, deluxe, ultimate, etc.

What tire size are you looking to get?

https://www.dpgoffroad.com/product-...-kits/tj-kits/old-man-emu-tjlj-wrangler-kits/

That OME but I'm not so sure about that specific model of shock. I ran OME NItrochargers for years and they were great but that model has been discontinued and from what I have read, their later model shocks have gotten a lot stiffer riding.

OME shocks are overly soft if anything, definitely not stiff at all, relative to my original shocks. I feel like I am in a Caddy since the install.

The wheels are 15x8 (link below), and those are my stock tires, 29" but can easily fit 32". Going up to 33"s, the proper way, costs a bunch more money. I plan to upgrade to 32" but I recently spent my Jeep fund on more audio equipment . I like music more than tire size.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/mammoth-boulder-charcoal-15-8-J100612.html?utm_content=XT Wheel - Replica|Mammoth&utm_source=google-pla&utm_medium=shopping&T5_Var2=shopping&T5_Var3=yellow&T5_Var4=J100612&intl=0&utm_campaign=XTW+Wrangler+Brands+Medium&gclid=CKj86KHBn9sCFVrTswod4bAG7A&gclsrc=ds

Please note that I have an LJ, not a TJ, and the TJ being slightly smaller in length than the LJ has short driveline geometry. So depending on on much of a lift and tire size you want, that could impact that transfer case needed to be addressed.

With that said, with only a 2.5" lift you should be fine without a transfer case drop, but other TJ owners will chime in.

Here is a link to some OME kits, econo, deluxe, ultimate, etc.

What tire size are you looking to get?

https://www.dpgoffroad.com/product-...-kits/tj-kits/old-man-emu-tjlj-wrangler-kits/

I’m looking at 32’s. Want to go with a 16x8 wheel and 265/75R16 tires. By the way, it appears OME has a 2” lift not 2.5” but I’m good with that.

... By the way, it appears OME has a 2” lift not 2.5” but I’m good with that.

OME has many different springs available that are not necessarily in the kits. Depending on the weight of your Jeep, some of the 2" springs will be closer to 3".

Reactions: skrelnik
I’m looking at 32’s. Want to go with a 16x8 wheel and 265/75R16 tires. By the way, it appears OME has a 2” lift not 2.5” but I’m good with that.

As Jerry mentioned you will have more options with the 15 inch, but you will be perfectly fine with 16s and that tire size.

The OME is not 2.5", that is a rule of thumb as the weight of the vehicle impacts the lift height. No top, no aftermarket stuff you may get 2.5" of lift, whereas a hardtop, steel armor, winch and other stuff would bring it to 2" (illustration purposes, not factual lift heights)

That OME lift and that tire is perfect for your setup.

I'd pass on 16" to go with either 15" or 17". 16" is an odd rarely used size with fewer tire and wheel selections generally sold at higher prices.

Last edited:
I missed that. Don't buy 16" wheels. I wish I didn't have that size on mine.

I’m trying to get a AT 32” tire but staying at 10.5 wide. Seems like the 16” rim is the only way to go.
Why limit yourself unnecessarily to another odd size, that 32x10.50. Just go with the very common extremely easily found 32x11.50 so you don't have to go with that oddball 16" wheel. Don't make it unnecessarily difficult.

Last edited:
I’m trying to get a AT 32” tire but staying at 10.5 wide. Seems like the 16” rim is the only way to go.
Listen to @Jerry Bransford. He’s right and he’s been doing this for 20 years. Go for common sizes, not funky stuff. You want options!

P.s. the OME Heavy Duty that is so common has the spring numbers 2933 and 2942. This is advertised as 2”, however, it usually nets 2.5” due to rigs not carrying as much weight as the springs are rated at 2” to carry. That’s why peopl call it the 2.5” OME. I was confused at first too. Anyway, listen to @Jerry Bransford advice in this thread. I’d second all of it but it wouldn’t add any legitimacy!

P.s. the OME Heavy Duty that is so common has the spring numbers 2933 and 2942. This is advertised as 2”, however, it usually nets 2.5” due to rigs not carrying as much weight as the springs are rated at 2” to carry. That’s why peopl call it the 2.5” OME. I was confused at first too. ...

Fun fact. The 2931 and 2940 are one step above the so-called HD in "heaviness". Meaning, a little more ride height on a given Jeep. I don't think you'll find them in the TJ kits. Then there are an additional two heavier rears available in the 2-2.5" category. 2949 and 2943

Reactions: JMT
Fun fact. The 2931 and 2940 are one step above the so-called HD in "heaviness". Meaning, a little more ride height on a given Jeep. I don't think you'll find them in the TJ kits. Then there are an additional two heavier rears available in the 2-2.5" category. 2949 and 2943

You're going to confuse them spring ninja! Baby steps.

Reactions: jjvw