Lift / Tire and Wheel thoughts

Jorge Bolivar said:
I do agree with your point and we should not guess our rigs weight, but that is why I recommend the OP to listen this thread suggestions that comes from proved product end users than call Dirk that anyway he will be guessing his rig weight to accurate sell the product.

If you have not spoken with Dirk then you should not make comments like this as you are 100% off base. Experience is worth a whole heck of lot more than you are valuing it to be. Dirk takes the time to listen to what you are putting on your rig and his experience is what we all lack, except Jerry and Blaine and a couple others.

I am not minimizing anyone's experience when suggesting that one weigh one's vehicle rather than rely upon estimates. Some recent examples that come to mind involve Alcan Spring. They know their stuff and are truly experts on their springs and how they work, but several acquaintances of mine ended up with significantly less lift and load carrying capacity on their rigs than anticipated when the expert estimates turned out to be off by 800-1,000 lbs. All of the problems and resulting finger pointing could have been avoided by spending a few minutes and a couple of dollars at the scales confirming weight before finalizing their orders.

Do you think that professional race teams base their suspension specifications on weight estimates? I think not. Why should we do anything less? I seriously doubt that MrBlaine or Dirk would be offended

If you have not spoken with Dirk then you should not make comments like this as you are 100% off base. Experience is worth a whole heck of lot more than you are valuing it to be. Dirk takes the time to listen to what you are putting on your rig and his experience is what we all lack, except Jerry and Blaine and a couple others.

I used the forums to narrow down what I wanted, then found an expert in that brand and the rest is history. I have read numerous threads of members buying suspension parts from Amazon and then asking why their jeep is not level, or some other issue. Dirk is there to also help you through the install, and gives you a cheat sheet with tips and directions.

Sorry, don't mean to attack you, but Dirk is tremendous and you are shorting him.

@skrelnik
FYI
I have spoke with Dirk many more times that what you think. The current LJ suspension comes from his shop DPG Offroad. He is a Great Guy with a vast knowledge.
Confuse my input with a lack of knowledge is OK with me, I’m a true beliver on not knowing everything, everyday we learn sometingh new and We should never stop learning. That is why I do talk to Dirk, belong to this forums and search for info all the time.
Have to be away for a while, but i will return and edit this post later...

Reactions: JMT
@skrelnik
FYI
I have spoke with Dirk many more times that what you think. The current LJ suspension comes from his shop DPG Offroad. He is a Great Guy with a vast knowledge.
Confuse my input with a lack of knowledge is OK with me, I’m a true beliver on not knowing everything, everyday we learn sometingh new and We should never stop learning. That is why I do talk to Dirk, belong to this forums and search for info all the time.
Have to be away for a while, but i will return and edit this post later...
I know you know what you’re talking about Jorge! You da man!

Reactions: Jorge Bolivar
J - newbie here. I hope this is the right thread, so much in the way of tire/ ride info. 2008 TJ 4" lift. very harsh ride. replacing shocks with your suggestion Rancho's 5000x. My son wants 15" rims with 33" tire. he is 90% road and 10% muddy field driving. what is the sensible formula? Of course he wants it to look like an off roader.
thanks
sgt
I'm not sure what you mean by formula... tire pressure or required additional clearance for 33" tires? Wheels? Everything? Also, if your son's Jeep is a 2008, it's a JK and not a TJ. I can't even spell JK, I know little about what they require.

I do agree with your point and we should not guess our rigs weight, but that is why I recommend the OP to listen this thread suggestions that comes from proved product end users than call Dirk that anyway he will be guessing his rig weight to accurate sell the product.

I know you know what you’re talking about Jorge! You da man!

JMT - Can you please elaborate? What I read was Jorge stating something like; do not call Dirk as he is guessing what parts you need, and instead buy your suspension parts based off forum members builds.

If I interpreted incorrectly then I do apologize.

JMT - Can you please elaborate? What I read was Jorge stating something like; do not call Dirk as he is guessing what parts you need, and instead buy your suspension parts based off forum members builds.

Dirk is a better guesser in this arena than most of us are. ;)

Dirk is a better guesser in this arena than most of us are. ;)

Dirk knows suspension

images.jpeg

Reactions: jjvw

My response is off grid, private.

Reactions: skrelnik
I'm not sure what you mean by formula... tire pressure or required additional clearance for 33" tires? Wheels? Everything? Also, if your son's Jeep is a 2008, it's a JK and not a TJ. I can't even spell JK, I know little about what they require.
Jerry - My bad, 2006 TJ with 4" lift (no idea what kind). Looking for a recommendation on tires. There's all kinds of crosstalk about c rated, e rated, 8" wide, 10" wide... What I think I know is I'm looking for 10" wide x 32-33" high with 3.5 inch back set on new 15" steel rims. Right now its got very worn Nitto Terra Grapler 275/65 R18 on 17" aluminum rims . I'm assuming we can adjust the tire pressure to mitigate the ride quality. It rides like the Flintstone mobile on paved roads. We will replace the shocks with Rancho 5000X or 9000X, 4Wheel recommends Bilestin 5100's. I'm having a local shop look at the lift to see if they can identify. I will replace the bushings (dry and roached) and understand I may have to install new arms to know what I have.

We are not off roaders but take the Jeep off road, flat, dirt and mud (texas ranch stuff).
We are new to Jeep ownership and appreciate the knowledge we get from this site. Thanks very much.

Load Range C tires are what you want for a TJ. D and E are meant for heavier vehicles and would ride much more more stiffly than a LR C.

It's my opinion that while Bilstein 5100 shocks have a certain cachet among some, it's unnecessarily stiff riding where a TJ is concerned. Well known Jeep builder mrblaine once opined that you should only install Bilstein 5100 shocks onto a TJ if you want to know if the quarter you just rolled over was heads or tails.

Same with the 9000x, it's unnecessarily stiff for a TJ. The 5000x is valved correctly for a TJ. It is recommended by a lot of people because it does work so well and give a good ride/control in any condition a TJ is likely to find itself in.

Tire-wise a 33" tall tire is ideal with 4" of lift. A 33x12.5 is probably the most common size because it works well for most conditions. I'd only go with a 33x10.5 if you have to drive on roads covered in standing water a lot. The narrower width resists hydroplaning better in those conditions. Go with a 15x8 wheel for 33x12.5 or a 15x7 for the 33x10.5.

For mud, avoid an all-terrain tire. The tread packs full with mud and turns into a slick. Mud terrain tires like BFG's Mud Terrain KM2 are not just good in mud, they're actually good in most trail and street conditions. No I don't run them (I did run an earlier version years ago), I just know that they're a good tire. They aren't loud and they wear well. Not all mud terrain tires are quiet or long wearing so do your homework or ask here.

Backspacing-wise, 3.75-4" is good for a 12.5" wide tire. You can go up to 5" of backspacing for a 10.5" wide tire. Less than 3.75" of backspacing would position the tires/wheels out too far.

Sorry for the long-winded reply but there's a program on TV I could care less about lol. :)

I'd pass on 16" to go with either 15" or 17". 16" is an odd rarely used size with fewer tire and wheel selections generally sold at higher prices.

I use the 15 "inch wheels so I can take advantage of the Load Range C tires. BFGoodrich offers them on 15's Softer ride and side wall for off road use. 16's are Load Range E...........YAR!!

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Load Range C tires are what you want for a TJ. D and E are meant for heavier vehicles and would ride much more more stiffly than a LR C.

It's my opinion that while Bilstein 5100 shocks have a certain cachet among some, it's unnecessarily stiff riding where a TJ is concerned. Well known Jeep builder mrblaine once opined that you should only install Bilstein 5100 shocks onto a TJ if you want to know if the quarter you just rolled over was heads or tails.

Same with the 9000x, it's unnecessarily stiff for a TJ. The 5000x is valved correctly for a TJ. It is recommended by a lot of people because it does work so well and give a good ride/control in any condition a TJ is likely to find itself in.

Tire-wise a 33" tall tire is ideal with 4" of lift. A 33x12.5 is probably the most common size because it works well for most conditions. I'd only go with a 33x10.5 if you have to drive on roads covered in standing water a lot. The narrower width resists hydroplaning better in those conditions. Go with a 15x8 wheel for 33x12.5 or a 15x7 for the 33x10.5.

For mud, avoid an all-terrain tire. The tread packs full with mud and turns into a slick. Mud terrain tires like BFG's Mud Terrain KM2 are not just good in mud, they're actually good in most trail and street conditions. No I don't run them (I did run an earlier version years ago), I just know that they're a good tire. They aren't loud and they wear well. Not all mud terrain tires are quiet or long wearing so do your homework or ask here.

Backspacing-wise, 3.75-4" is good for a 12.5" wide tire. You can go up to 5" of backspacing for a 10.5" wide tire. Less than 3.75" of backspacing would position the tires/wheels out too far.

Sorry for the long-winded reply but there's a program on TV I could care less about lol. :)

Hi @skrelnik
I will elaborate for @JMT
I do said that he has no need to call Dirk to decide between light and heavy springs when someone already answer it, not because Dirk will be guessing the part that he need.

Beside the subject has been discussed before, he is looking to get ride comfort as many of Us has been done, listen the input from product end users (short and/or long time) like the ones commenting on this thread that test and note results for me have more weight than what any sale person can tell me by the phone. Literature with test data and such is very informative but at the end is the result of a controlled test, test data from end users is more accurate as the product left the controlled environment to be tested on the real not controlled environment do we live.
It is many suspension builders and sales man out there but is the so called "Reviews" that comes from the end user that place them at the top or the bottom. The ones read less get guided by the stars end user rank its review.