Lift, tires, and re-gear with a limited budget: What order to do it right?

Stretch

TJ Enthusiast
I've just purchased a 2004 RME TJ with Dana 44 NV3550 geared at 3.73 with manual transmission.
End goal is to lift it somwhere between 2.5-3.5" (with a 1-1.25" BL) to accomodate 33's and regear to 4.56. But that sounds like a very expensive drop of coin after the purchase of the jeep. Wondering if anyone has advice on if that can be broken down in stages or do you simply need to do it all at once?
The car needs new rubber this winter (live in Calgary, Alberta and our winters can suck)...so i'm stuck buying new rubber this year which might mean i need to stick to stock tires for awhile?
Thoughts about...
Running 31' now (and not regearing to their ideal 4.1)
Adding a 1.25" Body Lift
Doing budget 2" budget lift and getting new shocks that will work for (Rancho 5000x for 2.5 lift)
Then next year or year after
Putting in 2.5 lift
Regearing to 4.56
Changing to 33s?

Is that advisable? or anything like it? Or should I just sway out the tires for stock and save up a couple years and play with all the other things on the jeep until then?

IMG_2201.jpg

I have the same setup you do but a 2001. I did a 3 and 1/4 inch lift. Then I went with 33 inch tires on 15-inch wheels. I have 3:73 gears as well. I did not re gear.

yes I should and would like to regear however budget doesn't allow it right now.

With the manual transmission I can make up for it a little bit by delaying my shifts etc. I rarely use 5th gear unless I am traveling upwards of seventy miles per hour. Which is not very often.

I travel routinly at 55 miles an hour and I just use 4th gear and it operates fine.

that's how I did it, if on a budget and can't afford everything at once I put off regearing to the end. I'd be interested if anyone regeared first.

In my opinion, regearing for your desired tire size should be the first mod done. No lockers, no lift, no lights, winch, nothing. Proper gears are the key that unlocks everything else. Run slightly bigger than stock tires for a year or so if you have to, but get those gears done first.

Reactions: billiebob
There is no right way to do this. However, I personally would re-gear first, then add a lift and tires at the same time.

Or just save up and do it all at once (that's actually how I'd do it).

Often the tires are done first, then in desperation, the lift and finally the gears. Completely backwards but ego and showing off usually rule.

The right way, gearing & lockers together. Lift. Then tires. For economics do tires last once the original rubber is miled out. Otherwise you might need new tires before you get the regear and lockers done.

Or should I just sway out the tires for stock and save up a couple years and play with all the other things on the jeep until then?

You can install some 31" Duratracs or other ATs and have a totally livable Jeep for at least a couple years while saving up the money to do the rest of the modifications. If the 31s look too tall (mine don't) or you end up with some rubbing (another mine don't) the 1.25" Body Lift isn't expensive.

I'd be careful with the term budget when looking at lifts.

Sorry fellas, my suggestion is to NOT bother regearing. I have 33’s and 3.73 gears w a manual- AX-15, to be exact. Unless my gearing is not what is shown on my axels, my Jeep does just fine on hills, highways and offroad. Mind you, I dont rock crawl, but Ive offroaded at Rausch Creek (PA) and have been impressed w what my Jeep can handle. So my suggestion would be, do a small lift (even if its a puck lift to save $) then add 33’s. If you feel the need, regear. I just dont think you’ll need to for getting around and introductory trailing. Ideally, would be nice if I did, but honestly dont feel the need. I hit upwards of 80 MPH in 5th and I feel perfectly satisfied w my shifting points.

EDIT~ plan on a SYE and new driveshaft as soon as you lift. That was one of the most rewarding updates I did after installing my 3” spring lift. Smooth as you can get, with a Jeep, cruising down the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: billiebob
Can folks give me a little course in ReGearing 101? When is it necessary? What are the advantages? I have a 2003 TJ Sahara 4.0 with manual 5-speed and Rancho 2.5” lift (bought it that way 18 months ago). I couldn’t hit 80 mph with a tailwind, not that I’d want to. Top speed in 5th gear is about 68 mph. Thanks.

I'm in a similar situation. Stock suspension on 31s. 4.0L with the 42RLE and 3.73s. The gearing does kind of suck, but I can live with it. However, I'm finding that underbody clearance is my biggest issue on the trails right now. Not a big deal, but if I'm going to scrape anything, it's usually one of the skid plates.

So I'm planning a 2" lift. Seems like a lot of people on here liked their Jeeps with a 2" lift and 31s, so I may stick with that for a long time.

Regear and lockers would be next. I can already see how that would be a big improvement, but it's just not in the budget yet. The need to regear really does depend on the engine, transmission, tire size, and type of driving you're doing. For me, I can sort of live with what I've got, but it would be nice not to have to fight the transmission to drive up to the mountains. And I can see how deeper gears would be helpful in a lot of other situations.

The SYE and new driveshaft might come later. And potentially upgrading to Johnny Joint control arms.

That's just the way I'm thinking about it right now. A lift would make a significant difference to the driving I'm doing right now. After that, the other priorities might change.

So, my advice would be to drive the Jeep for a while and see what you think would be the best bang for the buck. Or maybe find out what you absolutely can't live without.

Can folks give me a little course in ReGearing 101? When is it necessary? What are the advantages? I have a 2003 TJ Sahara 4.0 with manual 5-speed and Rancho 2.5” lift (bought it that way 18 months ago). I couldn’t hit 80 mph with a tailwind, not that I’d want to. Top speed in 5th gear is about 68 mph. Thanks.
What is your tire size?

I've just purchased a 2004 RME TJ with Dana 44 NV3550 geared at 3.73 with manual transmission.
End goal is to lift it somwhere between 2.5-3.5" (with a 1-1.25" BL) to accomodate 33's and regear to 4.56. But that sounds like a very expensive drop of coin after the purchase of the jeep. Wondering if anyone has advice on if that can be broken down in stages or do you simply need to do it all at once?
The car needs new rubber this winter (live in Calgary, Alberta and our winters can suck)...so i'm stuck buying new rubber this year which might mean i need to stick to stock tires for awhile?
Thoughts about...
Running 31' now (and not regearing to their ideal 4.1)
Adding a 1.25" Body Lift
Doing budget 2" budget lift and getting new shocks that will work for (Rancho 5000x for 2.5 lift)
Then next year or year after
Putting in 2.5 lift
Regearing to 4.56
Changing to 33s?

Is that advisable? or anything like it? Or should I just sway out the tires for stock and save up a couple years and play with all the other things on the jeep until then?

View attachment 107049

What type of driving do you intend to do? If you are just going to use it as a daily driver I would stick with stock wheels until you are ready to use it for something else or have more experience/knowledge. It's easy to get caught up in spending money that is not warranted for the intended use.

Ended up with the 2.5" rancho lift with 5000x rancho shocks. Installed 32x11.5x15 on the stock Alcoa rims. Sits beautifully now. 3.73 gearing seems fine right now. I'll drive it for a year and see how I feel.
7C438695-F248-4489-9821-30784D800772.JPG