Lift Upgrade

Thanks Kevin.
I'm not sure about the dropped pitman. It may just be the photo angle. I measured the approximate drop from steering box side to drag link side of the arm and it's ~2-3". Is th

Tires are rather new, even though I'm the 5th owner... will definitely keep the A/T in kind when it's time to swap them out!
Thanks Kevin.
I'm not sure about the dropped pitman. It may just be the photo angle. I measured the approximate drop from steering box side to drag link side of the arm and it's ~2-3". Is that normal?

Tires are rather new, even though I'm the 5th owner... will definitely keep the A/T in kind when it's time to swap them out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here's a pic of mine.
20170518_201146-720x1280.jpg

Reactions: Sacha Rosenthal
Perhaps someone can confirm stock vs drop?

I know I have a hard rock double shear track bar installed by PO. Perhaps a dropped pitman too?

It certainly looks like it to me but the best way to check is to measure it. Just to confirm, I just measured mine and it's a shade less than a 2" drop between the gear box and the drag link.

Excuse my rudimentarily markup showing what I'm referring to:

Drop_Pitman_Arm.jpg

That is definitely a Dropped Arm. Someone more knowledgeable than I will have to tell you how to get on the path to fixing it though. I know it will involve a new pitman arm and probably an adjustable trackbar

Looks like you need a stock pitman arm first.

Then Check to see if your ball joints are worn out (lift front tires off the ground about 3-4" then put a long pry bar under it, like the jack handle, at an angle and have a buddy pry up on it while you look at upper and lower ball joints for movement).

Then check control arm and trackbar bolts are tight.

I have a TJ and an LJ and have sorted out ride quality issues myself. Jerry B. Is also very knowledgeable. Taking kids to Disneyland tomorrow, but you can call me Monday during the day on my 6 hour drive. Pm me for cell

At this point, I personally would start with getting rid of the drop pitman arm and then see how the ride quality is. That should eliminate a lot, if not all, of your bump steer. After that, let us know how she rides and take the next step. That beats throwing money at stuff that may not be needed.

At this point, I personally would start with getting rid of the drop pitman arm and then see how the ride quality is. That should eliminate a lot, if not all, of your bump steer. After that, let us know how she rides and take the next step. That beats throwing money at stuff that may not be needed.

Thanks.

I also have a dropped track bar (now a bolt on double shear), so think they put in a drop Pittman to compensate. Will removing the drop Pittman add to the issue if I don't replace the track bar at the same time too?

Also, I have a good amount of body 'sway'. Not sure how best to describe. Kind of a shimmy/wobble, if that makes sense; at low speeds going over small humps in the road. Not a jittery feel like a bad tire balance at higher speeds. I have different issues there :). Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk