Light bar ass faces of America

Westtown Willy

TJ dummy
Supporting Member
I have nothing against light bars if you think they look cool or you actually use them for night wheeling but when you turn them on at around 6pm on the street in a very congested area & blind everyone on the other side of the road you’re an asshole.

Last night I could see this douchebag from probably a half a mile away, had to be 25 cars in front of me that were flashing him to shut them off & by the time he passed me it was like looking at the sun, wtf is wrong with people?

"Look at me, I'm sooo cool"

download (3).jpg

I've unfortunately been that ass face.

I had let my brother drive the Jeep and he had tried to turn it on. But since I have it wired so it won't turn on unless my headlights are on, he couldn't get it to work. He gave up with it left in the on position. The next day I started driving home from the gym and turned my headlights on. I didn't realize what was happening right away until I got a few flashes from traffic coming the other way. As soon as I get home, my brother asks if he can borrow it again. And before I can say anything he says "Your light bar is broken, I tried turning it on, but nothing happened."

I agree. If you genuinely use them for wheeling, I have no idea. However, the majority of people driving around with them don't use them for anything more than showing off or driving like a douchebag on the road at night.

Of course I suppose the same thing could be said for larger mud terrain tires on the road :ROFLMAO:

Still, mud terrain tires don't blind me, so I don't take issue with them.

It’s amazing how very little you see that happen where I live. 4 months with no darkness, and the only folks that are driving around in the daylight are the people that just moved here. Showing off the light bar.

It’s also a ticket-able offense to drive with the lights on during daylight hours

I used to have KC 150W daylighters on my pickup, I used them on remote highways when no one else was around.

It’s amazing how very little you see that happen where I live. 4 months with no darkness, and the only folks that are driving around in the daylight are the people that just moved here. Showing off the light bar.

It’s also a ticket-able offense to drive with the lights on during daylight hours
What about daytime running lights? I can't imagine using headlights during daylight being ticketable. Around here there are daytime headlight sections of road to increase vehicle visibility.

I have a light bar, I use it both in the mountains and on remote stretches of road at night. Or to blind those assholes who refuse to turn off their high beams at night. They usually don't see that one coming after being flashed with my high beams.

I used to see a 70 some year old guy in his 2wd pickup with his bumper mounted light bar on almost every day. Whenever no one else was around I'd flash my highbeams at him. He ignored that the first couple times then started flipping me off.

I also hated GM daytime running lights. They were only about 75% high beams but were too damn bright to deal with on cloudy days or anywhere with a lot of shade.

What about daytime running lights? I can't imagine using headlights during daylight being ticketable. Around here there are daytime headlight sections of road to increase vehicle visibility.

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/highwaysafety/headlights.shtml
I’m Alaska on the four main roads. You’re actually supposed to run headlights or daytime lights during daylight hours.

I can attest to the fact that on a 7 hour drive to the next town. It can be easily distracting to not pay 100% attention to traffic since you may only pass one to maybe three cars in that 7 hours.

I was referring to the idiots that run light bars no mater the size in traffic in town. That’s just ignorant, or hopefully accidental

Last edited:
I only run them on roads that aren't lit around here, and I turn them off for oncoming traffic when I do. Ive been getting use out of them tho. I do wish I had covers for them that resemble my headlights...

20190906_135339.jpg

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/highwaysafety/headlights.shtml
I’m Alaska on the four main roads. You’re actually supposed to run headlights or daytime lights during daylight hours.

I can attest to the fact that on a 7 hour drive to the next town. It can be easily distracting to not pay 100% attention to traffic since you may only pass one to maybe three cars in that 7 hours.

I was referring to the idiots that run light bars no mater the size in traffic in town. That’s just ignorant, or hopefully accidental

I was stationed at Ft Wainwright back in 97-2000, 15U here. It sounds weird to people when you explain the next city is 6 or 7 hours one way. I did not have a Jeep but I did have a big suburban with 4 KC lights. To many bear and moose running around to not see them early enough to get slowed down while driving on ice. However once I put on 37 inch Supper Swampers I stopped seeing as many. I believe the tires were loud enough to run them off before I got to them LOL

Now (on my TJ) I have the Chinese knock off LED head lights that I wish I could adjust better but the lights on bright have saved me from hitting several critters at night, along with my bumper mounted PIAA,s but I do turn them off whenever I have on coming traffic on back county roads.

Reactions: BugoutJeep
The PO installed a 6" lightbar on the front bumper, it is ridiculously bright. I'd imagine that if I did any wheeling at night it would be incredible.

That being said, I do use it when I drive up and down a few fire roads here with switchbacks and no guard rails. Some dudes treat these roads like they're doing Pikes Peak time trials in their Tacomas, and having my light bar on during the day definitely makes me visible.

I was stationed at Ft Wainwright back in 97-2000, 15U here. It sounds weird to people when you explain the next city is 6 or 7 hours one way. I did not have a Jeep but I did have a big suburban with 4 KC lights. To many bear and moose running around to not see them early enough to get slowed down while driving on ice. However once I put on 37 inch Supper Swampers I stopped seeing as many. I believe the tires were loud enough to run them off before I got to them LOL

Maybe that’s why I don’t see many bear. In the five years of running these roads I’ve only seen a bear one time. Moose all day long near trapper creek. But only the one bear. Of course bear aren’t as common in the interior.

As night approaches I want to get a light bar in the tow rig. We make the drive to anchorage Maybe four time a year. And every solstice we do the hike around Denali park entrance. It’s so dark here you need all the extra light you can get. Especially since moose eyes don’t reflect.

I had some halogens mounted on my ZJ and accidentally left them on, but not in town. We were driving in during the dark, but finished in the daylight and I just left them on and had a nice dead battery to return to.

I just like having some light that's higher than my headlights, just because of all the brush and stuff that blocks my headlights. I feel like the rounded lights on top would hit on too much stuff and I don't have much clearance to my garage, so I prefer the smaller light bars.

I still have a light bar mounted on my hood and that was fine before I had the rack, but I figure that can go now. I haven't hooked it up since the engine swap, but I'm occasionally missing the extra light. I just picked up a couple single row ~1 ft long light bars to check out. I got 1 $16 and the other was $50 to compare. $50 one looks a lot better out of the box.