Light bar: just thinking out loud

KimsJeep

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
So I got this light bar for a different Jeep, but since I traded that one for the TJ, I am wanting to put it on it. So here is my idea. I'm thinking about buying this type of mounting bracket, then make something to go from it, to the light bar. OR, does anyone have a suggestion on what would work better than this bracket set? See pics. :D. Oh and the missing light in the middle of the bar is actually for a cb antenna. Not sure what I want to do there. Maybe put a small antenna just to fill in the gap. :D

FsNhvQonQQiAu5qcIFdQQw.jpg

7vKrz801TWW9ULAG2uPWyA.jpg

J+extqSDS+CHLICAwHeVHA.jpg

51uloo9cRLL._SX522_.jpg

Look at Thule or Yakima. They make all kinds of rack adapters for every vehicle.
I went with the Yakima Landing Pads, Towers and Bar.... But there are a lot of choices.

Just trying to figure out whose brackets yours are and how they work.
I'm guessing they mount to the A Pillar.

Last edited:
Look at Thule or Yakima. They make all kinds of rack adapters for every vehicle.
I went with the Yakima Landing Pads, Towers and Bar.... But there are a lot of choices.

Just trying to figure out whose brackets yours are and how they work.
I'm guessing they mount to the A Pillar.

View attachment 76779

The brackets in the pic are Rough Country A pillar brackets. I want something that will bolt to the Jeep so I don't have to drill holes. I will check out your suggestions. Thanks. :D

The brackets in the pic are Rough Country A pillar brackets. I want something that will bolt to the Jeep so I don't have to drill holes. I will check out your suggestions. Thanks. :D
Theres a lot of leverage with those big halogens. I like the brackets but I'm not sure they are designed to hold that much light/weight so high.

Theres a lot of leverage with those big halogens. I like the brackets but I'm not sure they are designed to hold that much light/weight so high.

Yah, they are pretty heavy. I may go to the 4 wheel drive place or this place called Rack and Road that sells racks and such. That way I can see the stuff in person.

I also found another set up, but I was thinking I already have them on the bar, so didn't really want to spend that much for another bar. See the link below.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/kc-hilites-overhead-light-bar-tj-7416.html

Went to the website, the TJ version looks more solid than the one in the picture, which is for the JK I think. And with a soft top, you definitely need an A Pillar mount, or a full rack.

But those lights up so high will put lots of strain on those 2 bolts. yes, you might need to build a bracket to bolt to the A Pillar mount.

I do like how clean this looks. Be invisible on a black TJ, or paint it to match.

Last edited:
Reactions: KimsJeep