Light bar on top or front bumper?

Billwynburger

TJ Enthusiast
Recently on the trail and my first night run I lacked light. I'm looking at getting a light bar. 52 inch on top or smaller light bar mounted on front bumper.

Question: For the top light bar that requires brackets> Assuming it will be metal to metal will they create rust underneath?

Videos say pros and con to both.

Which do you recommend?

Recently on the trail and my first night run I lacked light. I'm looking at getting a light bar. 52 inch on top or smaller light bar mounted on front bumper.

Question: For the top light bar that requires brackets> Assuming it will be metal to metal will they create rust underneath?

Videos say pros and con to both.

Which do you recommend?
I say smaller on front bumper. I’m not a big fan of the long ones over the windshield, plus the issues you mentioned with bracketed and rust.

Also, read the thread on lighting. Can’t recall where it is, but @Chris has done some fantastic work cutting through the hype and saving you some major coin. A must read!

Call me old school but I prefer a handheld Spotlight and a good passenger over light bars
VOF-HHS-15WLED-01_29_grande.jpg

Reactions: Billwynburger
What is bad....... now i have a plan to add 2 sets. One blue for when im parked at a gathering. Also a set of white so i can see underneath.
Dude, I think they look pretty awesome. Post pics when you get them installed. I gotta see this...

Save yourself the money (and the bro look). A good set of LED headlights are all you ever need... Trust me on that.

You're wasting your money on a light bar when you can get the same amount of light output from good LED headlights. If you really want some extra power, get some LED fogs to go with them.

Besides, the only thing that looks sillier than a light bar on a Jeep is an angry bird grill :D

It is all based on likes. Some like them some hate them.
The brackets used on the windshield we used to make them they are Aluminum. I would not use any ones made from steel because of the rust.

The one on the bumper is a 12" bar.

20150718_113520.jpeg

Reactions: ivan cox
I have a nice quality 10” bar mounted on a winch fairlead bracket. It comes on with the high beams or can be turned on manually. As bright as it is, combined with the led high beams, any additional lights would really just be for looks.

Off road you don't need brighter lights, you need better side coverage. I put LED floods on windshield post brackets and aimed them to the sides.

View attachment 51694
You really need lights pointing at where you want to go. Not where you are facing. That os why i like the handheld spotlight sometimes you just dont have the light pointed in the right spot.

Also it can be easily adjusted with a slap to the back of the head. :smash2::smash2::smash2:

You really need lights pointing at where you want to go. Not where you are facing. That os why i like the handheld spotlight sometimes you just dont have the light pointed in the right spot.

Also it can be easily adjusted with a slap to the back of the head. :smash2::smash2::smash2:

Funny! I actually have an old spot light I keep in my jeep but holding it while driving a manual makes me wish I had 3 hands, reminds me of total recall.:roto2lol: