Does anyone have issues with light bars making a whistling sound?

RetiredArmy

Does anyone have issues with light bars making a whistling sound? I went to get one installed and i was surprised when the shop told me not to do it because too many ppl complain about a whistling sound

20200505_194656.jpg

I hear it is common, but I also hear that if you just adjust it up or down a tad, it will stop making the noise. I can't say for sure thought, I don't have one on mine. Well I don't have one above my windshield that is. :D

Just think of it as a built in "Save-A-Deer" warning whistle.
Two for one deal: Hit him w/ the light, then scare him off. Win, win.

Light bars are ugly as sin too. My son has one on a JK and it whistles Dixie and looks like a cross dressing Goth. I have two KC lights that the PO installed on the lower windshield pillars. They look okay, but in truth they are more decorative than functional. I rarely if ever switch on my spot lights as my night proclivities are limited to driving and my LED headlights pull their weight. I may remove the windshield spot lights at some point, just because of the above reasons. Why have extra wires and weight for no real gain?

Reactions: Tob and Tldelaney
Not much use for that many lumens when you're boxed in by trees.

A couple flood pods to compliment your head lights should be adequate.

Reactions: Tob and Daryl
it is a common problem with some LED bars. with a friend i have a small business next to my day job in LED products for offroad purpose etc.( check my profile, sorry our site is in Dutch ;) ) . i live in Europe and with our products we sell. we have certain rules and cerifications that are obligated. ECE R10 is one of them. ( requirements for electromagnetic etc ) . from experience LED bars/headlights with this certification dont make any noise or disturb the radio etc.. normaly you can find it on the bar or in the glass. But we have also had some lights without ( not streetlegal in our country only for offroad ) and they make noise.

PS .I dont know the regulations in the USA but you can check for the marking

Nearly anything on the roof is going to make wind noise, it's just something to live with if you absolutely must have a light bar up on the roof.

My Rigid Ind. does not whistle but then it's only 10". I wonder if it's all of them or just the cheap ones.

IMG_2181.jpg

I'll post this one more time and then ya'll are on your own. The "whistle" is produced in the same way that other whistles make noise but in this case it isn't the wind being directed across an aperture, it is the fins, the length, and how thin they are that is the problem. The wind causes them to vibrate or resonate very quickly which produces the noise. As mentioned, get the door edge trim, cut pieces about 2" long and stick those on the fins about 1/4 of the way in from each end. That extra bit of weight stops the fin from vibrating and the noise goes away.

Reactions: Feralkid
My light bar whistled really bad but I got some home door draft edging from Home Depot cut you length and stuck it in the lowest heat fin it would say in to break the wind buffet coming off the windshield. Problem solved. Can’t believe I drove a year with the whistle!