Lighting

bostontj

Looking into some external lighting LEDs to be more certain. Looking for some floods, or spots. Not too sure on what would happen if I mounted either of them on my windshield hinges? Any suggestion on brands/mounting hardware etc. Much appreciated!

Thanks, Nathan (Ps alberta canada)

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

After watching posts about hinge or hood mounts I would not do it because of the possible glare off the hood. It's personal but I think overhead lights are cosmetics but would do that before hinge but after bumper mounted. My 2cents

Reactions: bostontj
I agree with Stingers comment as well. I think mounting them where you're talking about will produce glare from the hood. If it was me I would mount them on the bumper or above the windshield (like a light bar).

Reactions: bostontj
Any glare from my hood is WAY overpowered by the light that projected past my hood to everything else! My 52" light bar over my windshield was the best thing I added to my jeep for the money. Turns off-roading at night into day!

Disclaimer: I have a dark blue jeep with a big satin black poison Spyder hood louver panel in the middle. Not much glare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: bostontj and Chris
I agree with Stingers comment as well. I think mounting them where you're talking about will produce glare from the hood. If it was me I would mount them on the bumper or above the windshield (like a light bar).
Same here! I have a wilderness rack I mounted my lights on, no glare to speak of.
9de5bacaf1cb24054ce5ab6931a246d0.jpg

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

1) Lights aimed properly will minimize glare 2) Getting lights with spot/driving pattern are the only ones I would mount on the windshield hinges. Floods will guarantee that half the pattern is spilled onto the hood.

I have some KC lights (driving pattern I believe) mounted on my windshield hinges on a white jeep. Do I get some glare? Of course. But I also have the lights aimed outboard of the midline of the jeep. This is because I use them for their intended purpose - offroad lighting (and sometimes on dark backroads to see deer better at night). Aim the lights correctly and you will minimize glare. And honestly, you shouldn't be running lights like that on the road just whily nilly. They are too high and bright and will more than likely blind oncoming drivers regardless of how you have them aimed.
Also, if I'm running my windshield lights, 95% of the time, I've also got my brights on. They don't add much effective distance on the road with the brights because the beam is like a pencil, but they do add very bright light just outside of the spill of my head lights, where I need better illumination of the sides of the road/trail.

Reactions: Kevin E and Chris
I agree with @PStov98TJ … I have spots on my windshield and I think if you put fogs on the windshield then it would glare bad. and it 100% comes down to how you aim them! If I were you I would get spots for the windshield and fogs for the bumper. I have no problem with glare from my 50" or my spots when driving with them. I think it would be bad if you had like stainless steel hood hinges or something that will reflect light like that. I have a hood blackout so that may be the reason why I don't have glare but I cant really see why it would glare if they are aimed properly.

@TheFrenchMan I agree my LED bar was the best mod I added to mine! You can see everything with it!

Reactions: PStov98TJ