Limited Slip?

I have a 2000 Jeep Wrangler. The pinion bearing in my rear differential is shot. I am getting ready to order a remanufactured differential. How can you tell if the differential has limited slip? If I get limited slip, does it matter if the front differential has it or not?

Thanks for your help.

Jack up one wheel, t/c in neutral, and spin a wheel. It will spin freely if an open diff, and have heavy resistance if LS.

How much for the reman? Have you checked the price of having yours rebuilt?

I have a 2000 Jeep Wrangler. The pinion bearing in my rear differential is shot. I am getting ready to order a remanufactured differential. How can you tell if the differential has limited slip? If I get limited slip, does it matter if the front differential has it or not?

Thanks for your help.
Does not matter if the front does not have one if there is one in the rear. Are you wanting to know if your current Wrangler has a LS or if the remanufactured differential does?

Jeep has never installed limited slips into the front axles of Wranglers, only in the rear.

The carrier on the right has the Tracloc limited slip differential option...

traclok16onRight copy.jpg

Reactions: Chris
Powertrain Products has the limited slip version for $1517.00 + $200.00 to have it shipped to my house. I was hoping to determine if the one that is currently installed has the limited slip. Since it doesn't matter, I think I would prefer limited slip and will probably go that route. There's not anyone around here that I would trust to rebuild my differential. I would do it my self, but don't feel comfortable installing the bearings since I understand that they have to be pre-loaded.

I do have one other question. When I bought this jeep, the seal in the differential was leaking. I installed a 4" lift kit on this jeep. The manufacturer of the lift kit said that an SYE was not necessary since I have a manual transmission. Any chance that they were full of crap and I really need to install an SYE to prevent future failure?

Oh, have a buddy handy to help you unload that differential. They are heavy and awkward to handle by yourself. The Trucker will just look at you when he / she shows up, most likely. Unless the shipping contract specifically states that they are going to unload at the destination. Then expect it to be laying in your driveway.

Wow, 1900 for a 35 and Traclok is nuts. I would look into a 44 or 8.8 at that price point. The Traclok is weak and wears clutches quickly. I would put the extra money toward a Truetrac instead if you go with the 35.

Reactions: StG58
Oh, have a buddy handy to help you unload that differential. They are heavy and awkward to handle by yourself. The Trucker will just look at you when he / she shows up, most likely. Unless the shipping contract specifically states that they are going to unload at the destination. Then expect it to be laying in your driveway.

Thanks for the input. They are supposed to have a lift gate on the truck to unload it with.

Wow, 1900 for a 35 and Traclok is nuts. I would look into a 44 or 8.8 at that price point. The Traclok is weak and wears clutches quickly. I would put the extra money toward a Truetrac instead if you go with the 35.

I considered that, but a remanufactured 44 is like double and I really don't abuse the jeep. We take it out on the weekends for some pretty tame trail rides, but no serious crawlin or muddin.

Something is jacked up... a pinion bearing would cost $200 at most to have replaced. Why is the entire axle being replaced? And a differential is not the same as the axle. The differential sits inside the axle's center pumpkin area. And a new differential/carrier/case would not be required if only a pinion bearing is being replaced.

Even if a new limited slip differential was being installed it would not require a new axle, which means the delivery truck would not require a lift gate. A new LSD differential would fit into a small box that could be shipped by USPS or UPS and delivered by hand.

I am confused at what just happened.

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
So, OP, what's the scoop? Are you talking about an entire axle assembly, or just the differential? Inquiring minds...

Differential is the doodad inside the pumpkin. :)
I was actually referring to the entire rear end.
:confused: Why are you replacing the entire rear end when only the pinion bearing is bad? That bearing and a new Truetrac could be replaced with all the other bearings for half that cost. I would definitely not replace the entire axle, there's no need... you'd be wasting big $$$.