Limited Turn Radius

JamesK

Greetings!

BLUF: Can turn left 2 full rotations of steering wheel. Can only turn right 1 rotation of steering wheel.

I have a 2006 TJ with a 6" lift and 37" tires. I have recently replaced the tie rod ends and drag link. However, I now have an issue with my turn radius. I can turn to the left 2 full rotations of the steering wheel, but can only turn 1 rotation of the steering wheel to the right. I believe it may be due to my hydraulic steering assist piston being out of alignment, but before I go through all the hassle of removing everything to get it off I thought I'd ask here. I have pictures attached that are labeled according to the position of the steering wheel (center, left turn, and right turn). Any advice or insight on this issue would be helpful!

Regards,
James

center.jpg

left turn.jpg

right turn.jpg

This a new issue, new Jeep to you?There are stops that can be tweaked, doubt it is that but thought with a mention.

This a new issue, new Jeep to you?There are stops that can be tweaked, doubt it is that but thought with a mention.
Yes it is new to me. Bought it as a project, and I haven't been disappointed with that aspect of it. There aren't any visible obstructions that I can see.

It looks like you have more stroke available for the driver side turn vs the passenger side. How much stroke does that ram have?

You can try unbolting that ram and steer back and forth each way. See if that improves or confirms the ram is the restriction. Make sure that ram won't hit anything at full extension when its unbolted.

Last edited:
It looks like you have more stroke available for the driver side turn vs the passenger side. How much stroke is that ram?

You can try unbolting that ram and steer back and forth each way. See if that improves or confirms the ram is the restriction. Make sure that ram won't hit anything at full extension when its unbolted.
Thanks! I'll give this a try. I haven't considered this for some reason. Guess I've been too deep in the weeds.

Reactions: Longwhitejeep