North Carolina List of Carolinian off-roaders

I now have something to pull my junk. Getting a SXS and decided to get car hauler.
7E3AFF46-0D1C-499E-9337-84CF9A42C184.jpeg

Bad news for me. I have not had good luck with my jeep lately. I just got it out of the gear shop and I couldn't be more pleased with the locker/regear. However, on day two of breaking it in, I started to get a knocking/chattering sound around the rear of the engine. I'm also starting to grind a little going into first, second, and third. When I lay under the jeep while it's running, it's making an unpleasant knocking sound. I'm afraid I may have a spun crank bearing. To add insult to injury, it sounds like my transmission input shaft is loose and I'm having trouble getting into gear. At the least I need to pull the drivetrain back out to take a look at everthing. Maybe I'll get lucky and I left something loose when I replaced the clutch. I'm afraid I'm hard down again. This time with a ready to run axle setup during peak season that I'm itching to play with.

I’ll be off all month after the 10th for some trips and plan to go the 12th for a day trip.

Last edited:
Bad news for me. I have not had good luck with my jeep lately. I just got it out of the gear shop and I couldn't be more pleased with the locker/regear. However, on day two of breaking it in, I started to get a knocking/chattering sound around the rear of the engine. I'm also starting to grind a little going into first, second, and third. When I lay under the jeep while it's running, it's making an unpleasant knocking sound. I'm afraid I may have a spun crank bearing. To add insult to injury, it sounds like my transmission input shaft is loose and I'm having trouble getting into gear. At the least I need to pull the drivetrain back out to take a look at everthing. Maybe I'll get lucky and I left something loose when I replaced the clutch. I'm afraid I'm hard down again. This time with a ready to run axle setup during peak season that I'm itching to play with.

Sounds more like a trans or clutch issue than a bearing. Make noise with the clutch pedal pressed down or just idling clutch out?

Sounds more like a trans or clutch issue than a bearing. Make noise with the clutch pedal pressed down or just idling clutch out?

It makes more noise unloaded but makes the noise either way. Increases noise and speed with engine speed. I've narrowed it to a bad input bearing.

Did you put a new throwout bearing in it?

Yes, it has less that 1k miles on a fresh clutch kit. Did you look at that video of the input play? Seems like to much to me. Also, the fluid is brown after only 1k miles.

Y’all are missing out! Lol. Had a good time out at Uwharrie this past Tuesday. We only did rocky mount loop, backside of Daniel, and like always I played a little on the front side of it. Then finished off with Dickey Bell. I had the JT go up the bypass on Dickey Bell, otherwise he would have beaten up his truck. Not sure what I was thinking, but I let my dad drive up Dickey bell. Man, that was scary! But he made it.
Sun was supposed to be throwing down 💯 degrees but the overcast kept it nice and cool.
FYI, stock JT rubicons scrape way too much on those high rolling hills throughout the trails. Kind of knew this going in but sometimes it was inevitable.

7059D7C2-6D1F-4832-A1DE-C99BB835FC91.jpeg

596BA93E-4172-489B-B604-88C1F0873259.jpeg

Y’all are missing out! Lol. Had a good time out at Uwharrie this past Tuesday. We only did rocky mount loop, backside of Daniel, and like always I played a little on the front side of it. Then finished off with Dickey Bell. I had the JT go up the bypass on Dickey Bell, otherwise he would have beaten up his truck. Not sure what I was thinking, but I let my dad drive up Dickey bell. Man, that was scary! But he made it.
Sun was supposed to be throwing down 💯 degrees but the overcast kept it nice and cool.
FYI, stock JT rubicons scrape way too much on those high rolling hills throughout the trails. Kind of knew this going in but sometimes it was inevitable.

View attachment 337616

View attachment 337617

How do you think a JT with a 1.75" front and .75" rear level kit plus 37's would do?

Reactions: Jamesval035
Another question gents. Do these look like ultra 5051’s. He said they came off of a 02 TJ but doesn’t know the brand. The ultra’s valve stem is in a different spot compared to these and I can’t find a pic on the internets anywhere of this wheel.

7B5A6B37-E601-414C-BB08-3E340931CD5A.png

How do you think a JT with a 1.75" front and .75" rear level kit plus 37's would do?

I think it would do well. I’ve guides a JT with 35’s and about a 2-3” lift up Dickey bell with minimal scraping, and a JT with 37’s and about the same lift up Dickey with ease.
While we were at Uwharrie my buddies 37” mickeys came in. I think he’s going with a higher lift though, 3-4”.

View attachment 337616

View attachment 337617

Nice driving!

Thanks man. It’s tough without a guide sometimes, and I had to walk the line before I took it. A manual Trans. also offers another level of difficulty to it. The more difficult trails I do, the more I realize I need a BBK.

How do feel the brakes would help you out of curiosity? I would think a bias valve might help so you could use it like a makeshift splitter.

How do feel the brakes would help you out of curiosity? I would think a bias valve might help so you could use it like a makeshift splitter.

It feels like On inclines, I have to smash my brake pedal to stay where I’m at, yet, I still have some roll and lose my spot or my advantage on a rock. I feel like bigger/stronger brakes would eliminate this and I have BMB rotors and pads.