List of Holes / Plugs / Grommets for Wiring Through Firewall, with Pics

SSTJ

———
Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm exploring the options of how to pass wires through the firewall. In the pics below, I'm seeing a few options that I hadn't read about before. Thought I'd share pics and ask if others have these too, or if some are only accessible for my 97 SE?

Don't judge my rat's nest. I know; that's why I'm cleaning it up. Also, one pro tip before we begin: here is some advice from @NskLJ about ensuring your wires don't allow water into the tub.

———

1. Above and Left of Clutch.
  • Oval grommet.
  • Occupied by factory lines, but I have shoved a few wires through.
2. Directly Below #1.
  • Circular plug.
  • Looks like it could be removed, or drilled through.\
  • See here for a part number and pic.
#1 & #2, Inside
#1 & #2, Outside

IMG_5939.JPG

IMG_5940.JPG

3. Further Above #1 and #2.
  • Diagonal, diamond grommet.
  • Unavailable for manual transmissions. This is the oil for the clutch rod.
#3, Outside, Auto
#3, Outside, Manual

Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 16.54.42.png

IMG_5949.JPG

4. Above and Right of Accelerator.
  • Circular grommet.
  • Allegedly a pain to replace, so drill instead.
  • Already occupied in TJs with auto transmissions, I believe?
5. Directly Above #4.
  • Oval grommet.
  • Hard to reach from inside, easy from outside.
  • Easy to remove and replace.

#4 & #5, Inside
#4 & #5, Outside
IMG_5945.JPG
IMG_5941.JPG
IMG_5946.JPG
IMG_5942.JPG
IMG_5947.JPG
IMG_5943.JPG

6. Passenger Side.
  • Non existent!
  • Others have successfully drilled holes here and plugged them with this.
  • I think it can be done right under the battery mount, but I imagine that the drilling would need to be done from the inside of the cab. @Chris , do you have any pics of yours to share?
Pic from @Chris
6964377F-EEC2-4B71-9138-4A15976302E0.jpeg

———

Edit: Sorry for the formatting. I tried hard, but the pics seem to reposition themselves after saving.

Last edited:
How big is the hole where the lower round grommet is? I've used the item you linked, a couple times now, and it works extremely well. They require a 1 1/4" hole and can be sized to run different things through them.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089158CM8/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I haven't measured that hole. The grommet looks more like a "plug" and might be a pain to deal with, but I'll try.

Looks like yours is blocked by ... is that the ABS system? Do you have that same hole or is it occupied by any part of that ABS stuff in your pic?

Great info! Seriously, I had no idea there was a way through the firewall just above and to the right of the gas pedal. Imagine that! Knowing this a few months ago would have saved me time from creating an extension harness on lights I'm running. HA.

This one...

Oh wow, so @Irun has an automatic. What he did looks so professional that I didn't realize he had repurposed that spot. Yes, in mine that spot is occupied by the clutch rod & fluid.

When I have a minute, I'll add that to the list as an option for those with automatic transmissions. @Irun , was it just an empty hole for you, or was there a grommet or a plug already there?

Great post! Worthy of a sticky or How-To!

I am prepping to install another fuse block for all my ancillaries and been eyeing options for getting to the interior wiring.

I ordered this kit (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00552Q1P6/?tag=wranglerorg-20) of grommets in hopes they'll support getting through the firewall. We'll see how well they match up with the options you've presented here.

Great post! Worthy of a sticky or How-To!

I am prepping to install another fuse block for all my ancillaries and been eyeing options for getting to the interior wiring.

I ordered this kit (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00552Q1P6/?tag=wranglerorg-20) of grommets in hopes they'll support getting through the firewall. We'll see how well they match up with the options you've presented here.

Nice, let us know!

And yes, I should mention to @Chris that he could make this a resource if he wants to. (Also, @Chris let us know if you have any pics of the passenger-side hole you drilled?)

Nice, let us know!

And yes, I should mention to @Chris that he could make this a resource if he wants to. (Also, @Chris let us know if you have any pics of the passenger-side hole you drilled?)
I made this a resource thread.

I'll take photos of the hole I drilled for mine. It was very easy and allows me to put anything I want through the passenger side firewall with ease. It comes right out under the battery which means I don't have to run the wires far at all either.

Reactions: SSTJ and FarFire70

I'll take photos of the hole I drilled for mine. It was very easy and allows me to put anything I want through the passenger side firewall with ease. It comes right out under the battery which means I don't have to run the wires far at all either.
@Chris, how about that pic?

Can always tap new holes. Check both sides DUH and run a pilot hole with a drill bit. go to ur local hardware get some grommets or plugs. I did this for an inverter to be in my glove box plugged in at all times. so when im sitting still with no AC i can turn on ma fan.
1624652946663.png

Reactions: SSTJ
I've posted this before but thought it might be helpful in this thread. I made some simple tools to assist with running wires through firewalls and other areas that are difficult to access by hand. A lot of times holes, grommets, etc. are hard to get to but it's also hard to "push a rope", especially small gauge wire.

Any old screw driver handle and some brake or similar lines can be used. Remove the handle from the driver (boiling water, heat gun, etc.) and drill it out so you can friction fit a tube through it. If not friction almost any kind of adhesive (J-B Weld, Gorilla Glue, etc.) will do.

Here are a few of the ones I have. I also made some with 1/4 " & 3/8" tube for larger gauge wire. I can custom bend them, shorten them or simply replace the tube with what ever I need to suit.

Wire Threaders.jpg

@Chris , how about that pic? I'm ready to drill mine soon.

Nice, thanks. What have you got running through there, as opposed to the holes on the other side?

Nice, thanks. What have you got running through there, as opposed to the holes on the other side?

I have the wiring for the CB as well as the stereo going through here. It’s nice because it comes out right under the battery so it reduces the amount of wiring needed.

Reactions: SSTJ