List of Holes / Plugs / Grommets for Wiring Through Firewall, with Pics

I'm exploring the options of how to pass wires through the firewall. In the pics below, I'm seeing a few options that I hadn't read about before. Thought I'd share pics and ask if others have these too, or if some are only accessible for my 97 SE?

Don't judge my rat's nest. I know; that's why I'm cleaning it up. Also, the images below are small, to keep the formatting clean. Click on them for a larger view.

———

1. Above and Left of Clutch.
  • Oval grommet.
  • Occupied by factory lines, but I have shoved a few wires through.
2. Directly Below #1.
  • Circular plug.
  • Looks like it could be removed, or drilled through.

#1 & #2, Inside ==> View attachment 259641

#1 & #2, Outside ==> View attachment 259642

3. Further Above #1 and #2.
  • Diagonal, diamond grommet.
  • Unavailable for manual transmissions. This is the oil for the clutch rod.

#3, Outside, Auto ==> View attachment 259714
#3, Outside, Manual ==> View attachment 259996

4. Above and Right of Accelerator.
  • Circular grommet.
  • Allegedly a pain to replace, so drill instead.
  • Already occupied in TJs with auto transmissions, I believe?
5. Directly Above #4.
  • Oval grommet.
  • Hard to reach from inside, easy from outside.
  • Easy to remove and replace.

6. Passenger Side.
  • Non existent!
  • Others have successfully drilled holes here and plugged them with this.
  • I think it can be done right under the battery mount, but I imagine that the drilling would need to be done from the inside of the cab. @Chris , do you have any pics of yours to share?

———

Edit: Sorry for the formatting. I tried hard, but the pics seem to reposition themselves after saving.
Good information, my suggestion is to make sure to always run the wires from below up to the grommet or install a drip loop. This will cause water to not travel down the wire inside the vehicle. I have had to repair many water leaks due to water running down added wiring into the vehicle, many time it runs right down under the carpet and is not noticed until the carpet start smelling. Here is an example.
3E39A98E-F309-4501-966E-4E0C70D61BF5.jpeg

Reactions: MikekiM and SSTJ
I'm exploring the options of how to pass wires through the firewall. In the pics below, I'm seeing a few options that I hadn't read about before. Thought I'd share pics and ask if others have these too, or if some are only accessible for my 97 SE?

Don't judge my rat's nest. I know; that's why I'm cleaning it up. Also, the images below are small, to keep the formatting clean. Click on them for a larger view.

———

1. Above and Left of Clutch.
  • Oval grommet.
  • Occupied by factory lines, but I have shoved a few wires through.
2. Directly Below #1.
  • Circular plug.
  • Looks like it could be removed, or drilled through.

#1 & #2, Inside ==>

View attachment 259641

#1 & #2, Outside ==> View attachment 259642

3. Further Above #1 and #2.
  • Diagonal, diamond grommet.
  • Unavailable for manual transmissions. This is the oil for the clutch rod.

#3, Outside, Auto ==> View attachment 259714
#3, Outside, Manual ==> View attachment 259996

4. Above and Right of Accelerator.
  • Circular grommet.
  • Allegedly a pain to replace, so drill instead.
  • Already occupied in TJs with auto transmissions, I believe?
5. Directly Above #4.
  • Oval grommet.
  • Hard to reach from inside, easy from outside.
  • Easy to remove and replace.

6. Passenger Side.
  • Non existent!
  • Others have successfully drilled holes here and plugged them with this.
  • I think it can be done right under the battery mount, but I imagine that the drilling would need to be done from the inside of the cab. @Chris , do you have any pics of yours to share?

———

Edit: Sorry for the formatting. I tried hard, but the pics seem to reposition themselves after saving.

Any chance anybody has a list of replacement grommets that fit or the OEM part numbers for these? I'm specifically looking for the oval one that is used for female transmissions. I stupidly cut mine way back in the day to pass wires through and I'd like to redo it.

Maybe I found my own answer to the one specific plug; 02424864. I'll see in a week or so. Ironically the first place I found one was at the Jeep dealer in McKinney, TX where I bought my jeep back in 2002. $11 + $30 shipping and handling lol. I found one elsewhere needless to say.

Reactions: SSTJ
Maybe I found my own answer to the one specific plug; 02424864. I'll see in a week or so. Ironically the first place I found one was at the Jeep dealer in McKinney, TX where I bought my jeep back in 2002. $11 + $30 shipping and handling lol. I found one elsewhere needless to say.

Let us know! If so, I'll update the original post.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck