California List of SoCal members who like to go off-roading

Put me on your SoCal list.

I've been to Calico quite a few times. Ran my Cherokee on 33's with one rear locker. Did just fine. Next couple times was in the LJ. I'm on a 4.5" lift, stock flares and 33's. Did better than the Cherokee. Definitely bypass the Gatekeeper, but worth the little hike "downstream" to check it out.

Won't make your run but for a day trip, suggested route for you guys is to do East Philips Loop off Mule Canyon Rd to West Phillips Loop (Check out Kramer Arch on the west side). Use the Mule Canyon cutover to the Odessa Canyon side (use the bypass). This will take you north up to the Bismark mine, which is pretty amazing. Then come down on the Doran side to end at the Calico Ghost town. Again, I'm not trying to plan anything for you, but just a suggested and very scenic route. If you are a little strapped for time, cut out the Phillips loop.

If anyone has the Charles Wells SoCal book, all these trails are listed in it. It's a blast there!!

I've been to Calico quite a few times. Ran my Cherokee on 33's with one rear locker. Did just fine. Next couple times was in the LJ. I'm on a 4.5" lift, stock flares and 33's. Did better than the Cherokee. Definitely bypass the Gatekeeper, but worth the little hike "downstream" to check it out.

Won't make your run but for a day trip, suggested route for you guys is to do East Philips Loop off Mule Canyon Rd to West Phillips Loop (Check out Kramer Arch on the west side). Use the Mule Canyon cutover to the Odessa Canyon side (use the bypass). This will take you north up to the Bismark mine, which is pretty amazing. Then come down on the Doran side to end at the Calico Ghost town. Again, I'm not trying to plan anything for you, but just a suggested and very scenic route. If you are a little strapped for time, cut out the Phillips loop.

If anyone has the Charles Wells SoCal book, all these trails are listed in it. It's a blast there!!
Nice! Awesome tips! You’re added too 👍🏼

thanks for the tip, seems like the area is littered with good trails so i will have to do some good route planning since I've never been.

What’s the thought regarding this run? Uphill run through Odessa and a downhill run of Doran Canyon (I’m by-passing the Doran Gatekeeper).

I have a Ham modified GMRS but no CB.

You can add me to the list. Even if I can’t make it i would like to see where you guys head off too.
I’d like to compile a list of the SoCal members who like to go off-roading and would like to be tagged in run announcements. Just reply to this thread and I’ll update the original post with your name in it. When making a run announcement simply copy and paste the names below into your post and all names on the list will receive a notification that their name was mentioned in a post.
you can add me
Even if I can’t make it I would like to see where you guys end up.

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
What’s the thought regarding this run? Uphill run through Odessa and a downhill run of Doran Canyon (I’m by-passing the Doran Gatekeeper).

I have a Ham modified GMRS but no CB.
Not really sure... Im open to suggestions... ive got a cb but the groups i normally go out with usually just use the cheap preprogrammed handheld radios.

@1904-06LJR seems to know the area, any pros or cons to either route?

Reactions: LarryTJ
being as that its going to be a Saturday we may want to stick with the typical direction of traffic due to the narrowness of the canyons. I think its typically run up doran and down odessa?

First time up there, yeah, that's how I would run it. If you go through Odessa as the start, you guys will enjoy tackling the first waterfall going up it. It also puts the "pucker pass" on your driver's side, which to me is alot more friendly. (Nice, steady slow speed and you'll be fine. Resist the urge to stop as you go by it)

Going back down Doran will make the other waterfall a little easier too since you will be going down it. For those of you with your bitchen skid plates, this will be a good test. But the correct line on the passenger side will get you through it unscathed...

For first timers, this would be my suggested route. Helps with how long it takes too because you'll spend less time getting through those same obstacles going the reverse route. Don't ask me why, but it's actually harder doing it from Doran to Odessa. Don't forget to walk down to the gate keeper on your way out. Definitely take the bypass! Oh and, the mud hill tunnels you get to drive through at the end of Doran are really cool too!

Reactions: Sancho
A2AD88FD-D020-4278-A916-E8819824283B.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Alex01