List of tools required for working on your rig

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Here are the tools I've needed to accomplish every mod I've done so far. Many of these can be purchased all at once if you pick up one of the decent 200+ piece mechanic toolkits from Craftsman or Kobalt.

Still others, like the torque and ratcheting wrenches, need to be purchased separately, but don't go too cheap!

1. complete sets of metric and SAE sockets (including torx T9 to T50...mine are 3/8) — for 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 drivers.

2. a 1/2 driver torque wrench rated up to 200 ft lbs (mine is 25 to 250). It's probably not a bad idea to also pick up a smaller 3/8 torque wrench somewhere along the line...

3. Complete sets of metric and SAE ratcheting wrenches

4. various adapters/extensions for the drivers.

5. Some good vice grip pliers (round and needle-nose)

6. Small, medium, and large adjustable wrenches — good ones!

7. Assortment of screwdrivers in every type, size, and shape

8. Lots of blue and red Loctite

9. WD40 and/or PB Blaster

10. Complete sets of metric and SAE Allen wrenches

11. Wire cutter/stripper, electrical tape, and a collection of wire connectors and heat shrink tubes.

12. One medium-sized rubber mallet

13. At least two (preferably four) 6-ton Jack stands

14. One floor jack rated at least 2.25 tons.

15. One 1/2 breaker bar (NEVER use your torque wrench as a breaker bar!)

16. Lots of rags

17. A good drill and impact driver set! (If cordless, then at least 18V!)

18. Complete set of drill bits

19. A table-mounted vice and several table clamps in varying sizes

20. Drop cloths and painters tape.

21. Mechanics gloves

22. Safety glasses/goggles

23. A good pair of scissors

24. A wire hanger

25. Various types of grease

26. A nice Dremel tool with an assortment of cutting and grinding attachments.

27. A soldering iron.

28. Touch-up paint, Bedliner paint, and high heat paint.

29. A few powerful (and cordless) LED lights or flashlights to place strategically while working in dark corners of your Jeep.

30. Multimeter

31. Lots of black zip ties, assorted sizes. (Get them at a Dollar Store!)

That just about covers it. If I can think of any more, I'll add them later... If anyone else can think of anything I didn't mention, please post it below.

I'll also try to throw together a list with the subset of tools I keep in my Jeep at all times. If anyone else has a list like that already, please paste it below!

Reactions: BoundlessBasu
I say buy quality industrial grade tools from specialty retailers/wholesalers. Getting the 500 piece tool kit from WalMart is throwing money away. And will result in lots of skinned knuckles and swearing. Good tool collections take years to assemble.... and they last a lifetime. My SnapOn pieces date back to the '70s.

And do not drive by a garage sale. Quality tools there might be 10 cents on the dollar.

Reactions: Chris
I say buy quality industrial grade tools from specialty retailers/wholesalers. Getting the 500 piece tool kit from WalMart is throwing money away. And will result in lots of skinned knuckles and swearing. Good tool collections take years to assemble.... and they last a lifetime. My SnapOn pieces date back to the '70s.

And do not drive by a garage sale. Quality tools there might be 10 cents on the dollar.

I personally like to buy Craftsman stuff. It's not the most high end, but it's also not the most low end. Additionally, I've broken several tools throughout my life and anytime I break one I just bring it into Sears and they replace it on the spot, no questions asked, no receipt needed, etc.

all my screwdrivers are the old Craftsman brand. I'm not as impressed by the new style tho.

I agree! I have a lot of the made in the USA craftsman tools before they switched to China. I just broke one of my Craftsman USA wrenches the other day and took it into Sears for a replacement. They gave me a brand new one, but the one they gave me is a China made one!

Snap-on is good stuff. I don't buy them though, the handles are thinner than I like. The handles on the Craftsman are thicker than I like. Still searching for the perfect wrench.

Snap-on is good stuff. I don't buy them though, the handles are thinner than I like. The handles on the Craftsman are thicker than I like. Still searching for the perfect wrench.

Are you referring to their wrenches, ratchets, or both?

I like my Craftsman stuff, but it's the Craftsman PRO line which is better than their lower end stuff.

The wrenches. Those thin webs are pretty uncomfortable for my big hands. NAPA has some good stuff, but you will pay a pretty penny for those. I ran across a set of black phosphate tools here awhile back, but for the life of me I can't remember where they were. Good feel and high quality. There are a sea of tools in my garage at the moment. I was a ship builder / boilermaker for awhile and did a fair amount of hot rodding when I was younger. I love me some tools.

Right now it would be nice to put togather a Tj specific tool set that is identafiable at a glance from everything else.

Right now it would be nice to put togather a Tj specific tool set that is identafiable at a glance from everything else.

That would be nice, with all the correct socket sizes you need and everything!

There's probably some common tools you need, especially on the trails when replacing broken axle shafts and what not.

Exactly. I've asked on several forums about that and haven't recieved a satisfactory answer yet.

i know that when I had my Chevy truck you could fix everything that could be fixed on the trail with a 3/8, 1/2, 9/16 box open ends, a 6" and a 12" Crescent wrench, a pair of water pump pliers and a pocket knife. Sometimes a big rock came in handy, or the factory tire iron.

It might be fun to get folks to list the tools that they have actually used while out and about.

Exactly. I've asked on several forums about that and haven't recieved a satisfactory answer yet.

i know that when I had my Chevy truck you could fix everything that could be fixed on the trail with a 3/8, 1/2, 9/16 box open ends, a 6" and a 12" Crescent wrench, a pair of water pump pliers and a pocket knife. Sometimes a big rock came in handy, or the factory tire iron.

It might be fun to get folks to list the tools that they have actually used while out and about.

Yeah, that would be a good thread, maybe, "What tools do you bring on the trail with you?"

THIS ^^^^^^

Unfortunately current manufacturing/marketing says do NOT make anything simple and repairable at home. The profit is in making the consumer come back to fix everything. And stealerships are set up to capitalize on that. Thank god for Corporate America, Globalization, and UNLIMITED political funding thru Superpaks. Ask yourself.... when you donate $100.00 to your favorite political candidate? does he care about you, the voter.... or does he care about the Corporation.... sometimes off shore who gives him $100,000.00. Thank god for Super Paks.

Cause you will never need a tool again.
Just
Empty
Every
Pocket
at the stealership.

Honestly, tho I love technology, I know my next Jeep will have a carbuerator.

Last edited:
This is a really nice list! Thanks for posting this. I've been needing to know this information. I actually just bought my first Jeep around a month ago, and I couldn't be anymore happier with it. It has really good gas mileage, and it drives like a dream. So glad that I chose Jeep.

Never met a tool I didn't like or need. My favorite excuse is " I bought it because I didn't have one". OTC ball joint tool with adapters for jeep ( and used on others) is one I really like for ball joints, u joints and tie rod ends.

Never met a tool I didn't like or need. My favorite excuse is " I bought it because I didn't have one". OTC ball joint tool with adapters for jeep ( and used on others) is one I really like for ball joints, u joints and tie rod ends.

I'm with you on that one! My wife always gives me crap for having tons of tools half of which I've never used. I always tell her that it's better to have them and not need them then to need them and not have them.

When the brown santa pulls up with a new tool from Amazon, (or wherever) my wife used to say, " don't you have enough tools"?
My reply was, "shall we go count purses or shoes"? Problem solved.

When the brown santa pulls up with a new tool from Amazon, (or wherever) my wife used to say, " don't you have enough tools"?
My reply was, "shall we go count purses or shoes"? Problem solved.

I'm in the same situation. She's got closets full of shoes and clothes!