Lithium Ion battery question

XISophos

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hi all,

I searched, but didn't see anything covering this topic.

In conversation with one of my tuner friends, I found out that he's running a lithium ion battery in place of a lead acid for weight savings on the track. This raised the question about running these on a Jeep. I know that when you start adding things like a winch and lights the like, folks will add a second battery because of the drain it puts on a single battery setup. Though the weight savings wouldn't be the biggest factor to consider with a Jeep, the space is. So my question is would it be feasible to run dual lithium batteries instead of the normal lead acid batteries? I didn't see a lot about it on the web, so I'm guessing the answer is a resounding "no", but thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

Just as a guess, I would think there might be some issue with charging, but having never dealt with that style of battery I just don't know.

Last edited:
Reactions: XISophos
Hi all,

I searched, but didn't see anything covering this topic.

In conversation with one of my tuner friends, I found out that he's running a lithium ion battery in place of a lead acid for weight savings on the track. This raised the question about running these on a Jeep. I know that when you start adding things like a winch and lights the like, folks will add a second battery because of the drain it puts on a single battery setup. Though the weight savings wouldn't be the biggest factor to consider with a Jeep, the space is. So my question is would it be feasible to run dual lithium batteries instead of the normal lead acid batteries? I didn't see a lot about it on the web, so I'm guessing the answer is a resounding "no", but thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

Just as a guess, I would think there might be some issue with charging, but having never dealt with that style of battery I just don't know.
Great question!

Moisture reactivity is the biggest issue with them. I think it can be somewhat more easily mitigated in a traditional vehicle, but Jeeps tend to see a lot more abuse. Track use, ie a fairly controlled environment, is probably relatively safe. I would definitely want to consider any and all safety measures.

Moisture reactivity is the biggest issue with them. I think it can be somewhat more easily mitigated in a traditional vehicle, but Jeeps tend to see a lot more abuse. Track use, ie a fairly controlled environment, is probably relatively safe. I would definitely want to consider any and all safety measures.
So, are you meaning like a waterproof casement to house the batteries themselves?

I'm not really an expert beyond their use in the defense industry, but I would think isolation from moisture, shock and vibration would have to be addressed. The manufacturers will design the batttery to handle a certain set of environmental factors. Those may or may not be enough to meet DOT standards. Then you have to deal with the added harshness that some users inflict on their Jeeps. Everything is designed for a pre-determined average amount of abuse but there are always extremes so you have to assess your personal intended use. The risk you run is ending up with a purpose built vehicle so you have to look at all environments you will see and establish specific requirements to be met. Waterproof container, proper ventilation away from operator, vibration isolation to avoid premature failure and location to protect from shock/impact is probably a safe starting point.