Lithium power banks

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Does anyone have / use a lithium power bank for off roaring?

Costco has a nice looking one with the ability to function as a jump starter on sale right now. That got me looking at these in general as a power source to recharge gadgets and possibly for emergency jump start use. We've standardized on eneloop rechargeable batteries for all of our battery powered gadgets, but that leaves the tablet and cell phones dependant on running the Jeep to recharge. This type of power bank would take the TJ out of the power cycle. We use solar panels to recharge the eneloops now. Those don't work well strapped to the Jeep, but do work well in base camp.

Trying to get a minimum of ten days energy independence out of our set up, and it seems that a pair of these added into the mix might be the solution.

What'cha all think?

Argh! I see @LeePTI has a thread going on these things as well. They look pretty good.

I've carried Microstarts for years. I put my original XP1 in my wife's car and now carry an XP10 and will buy a second one for the truck. They claim the XP10 will start a diesel engine. No clue if that's true but I've used them on 4 cyls, 4L V6s, and a small block V8. They are also golden for recharging electronic devices. Like any battery you need to remember to put them on a maintenance schedule. I use the Google calendar in my phone to remind me to check the charge every few months.

How do they work in the cold? I had a LiPo battery in one of my motorcycle, and ti didn't work well when it got below 50 deg F.
My phone and other electronics seem to work in the cold but that's an interesting question. I keep one of mine behind the seat of my truck and the other one is always okay because the Jeep wears a hard top during the winter. But if I decided to use the truck's tool box during the winter would it be a problem? Or the one in my wife's trunk?

My XP10 is like American Express, don't leave home without it. I love mine and seem somehow to use it monthly. Gotta be 4 or 5 years old and still works great.

I've carried Microstarts for years. I put my original XP1 in my wife's car and now carry an XP10 and will buy a second one for the truck. They claim the XP10 will start a diesel engine. No clue if that's true but I've used them on 4 cyls, 4L V6s, and a small block V8. They are also golden for recharging electronic devices. Like any battery you need to remember to put them on a maintenance schedule. I use the Google calendar in my phone to remind me to check the charge every few months.
Does it have indicator lights show how much charge it has? Read the description and didn’t see it.

Thanks for the endorsement on the Microstart. I want to to put one in my wife's car, and have had a bad experience with LiPo batteries in motorcycles. The local news channel reviewed some brand of "emergency battery", and it almost caught on fire. It sounds like Microstart brand is the one to get.

I found a waterproof container for the XP10 when I go boating

Reactions: steelhd
The container is a Komax R91. The Xp10 fits perfectly with room for a few extras like charging cables etc.... part of our Hurricane prep gear, it's probably useless if soaked in salt water.