Little Wildman's TJ Build AKA: Spoiled Daughters Jeep

Wildman

Over Analyzer Extraordinaire...............
Staff Member
Supporting Member
So my daugher was with me the day I went shopping for my TJ. She was 6 months old and really hated riding in the back seat with the top off. But she grew up riding in her dads TJ so of course she has an affliction for them now.

IMG00093.jpg

IMGP2474.jpg

So as she was approaching driving age I started look for a Jeep for her. Well I had always dreamed of finding her a 2002 TJ because then she would have a rig from the year she was born. So I happened to come across this 2003 TJ Sahara but it was an automatic and she wanted a stick. Proud PaPa.
When I called to asked about the car lot said that they had just sold it but had taken in a 2002 TJ with a 4.0 & 5 speed manual. So we drove over to look at it. It had about 120K miles on it. It came with some funky street tires and had a little rust on it. I failed as a dad that day becasue I didn't do a good inspection on it. This past summer while doing a brake job on it I was finally able to really look under it...…………………………………… Dang Nab it but it was BAD BAD BAD rust. The Jeep was originally sold in NY.

Day we brought it home.

IMG_3218_zpsvwqomv77.jpg

IMG_3223_zps0nczn0ib.jpg

IMG_3226_zpszx5my1xj.jpg

Her BFF had to come check it out.

IMG_3233_zpspwxo7aoj.jpg

Now she was only 14 at the time but I figured why not get it now. So the first thing I did was order some tires off Amazon for it.

IMG_3368_zpsminarb4c.jpg

The rust issue...…….

IMG_3255_zps9bulo8id.jpg

Then last Christmas she got Jeep parts.

IMG_3369_zps5afhuxua.jpg

IMG_3370_zps5bfiyv7i.jpg

And a new tub to replace the rusted out tub.

Karrlie%20New%20Tub_zpsbbe9cktg.jpg

So right now the only mods we have done is new tires and the CB.

She also got a Super Chips Trail Jammer kit- and HPS Silicon hose kit.

Come this summer she is going to get a ton of hand me down parts off her dad's TJ.

Poison Spyder tube fenders
Poison Spyder Crusher corners
Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers
GenRight 24 gal fuel tank & skid
Tuff underseat drawer
Rear bumper w/tire carrier

I'm also going to be taking my Nth Degree longarm kit off my TJ so it will get put on s shelf for the next few years and when she is ready I'll install it with 3" springs.
Of course her TJ came with the darn Dana 35 rear axle. Now I will be the first to admit I am not a huge fan of that axle. I saw way to many break bad before we had figured out WHY it was breaking. I've debated about installing a 8.8 and right now it is still open for debate. I came across a AWESOME deal on a bare HP30 housing so I have that sitting in the shop. Right now she has the crappy 3.07 gears so even with 31" tires she doesn't use 5th gear.
Future plans are to regear to 4.56 and add TruTrac LSD's front and rear. Yes I understand that I could do a Super35 kit and be good but I don't think she needs a selectable locker. With our snowy roads I like the idea of her having TT's front and rear. So when the time comes I'll be building axles too. If I go Dana 35 or 8.8 it will get 1541 shafts and a TT. The front will get cromo shafts and a TT also.

So stay tuned and watch her little TJ grow.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Great thread.

I have 2 daughters approaching driving age. I'm going to buy a second TJ for them to drive in the next 2 years. My youngest likes the idea of driving a manual, but the oldest is intimidated by the thought of 3 pedals.

Reactions: Blondie70
I was shocked when she told me she wanted a stick instead of an auto. Due to my leg I had swapped my manual tranny out of my TJ. But it was what she wanted and I'm glad she did. It took a little time but she is doing pretty good at it now. Like all of us learning she still isn't smooth on the shifting and down shifting.

Good luck with your two girls. I had a lot of people question my choice but I'm glad I did it.

Awesome story! I have two daughters currently, one who is 3, and the other who is 6. They grew up riding in the Jeep as well, and both absolutely love it (front seat or back). I suspect when they get to be driving age as well, they are going to want a Jeep too.

You can't replace memories like that.

I'll bet she's pretty happy that you're building it up for her, huh?

Does she like working on it as well, or does she leave that up to you?

She is really stoked about getting all these hand me down parts. When she was younger she really like to come help dad work on his Jeep but as she has gotten older she isn't into it as much. But I already told her that she was going to do a lot of the work swapping the tubs and stuff. But dad is also there to offer help when needed.

IMGP2697.jpg

I've been trying to get my 6 year old daughter to help more when it comes to working on the car, but she is also not very into it. However, I think it might just be that she's still a little too young. She's more interested in doing typical girl things, which is okay. I think over time she'll take to it more.

Even if she doesn't want to become a full fledged DIY mechanic, as a female, there are still things I think she needs to know (basics at least) such as changing her own oil, how an engine works, changing a tire, etc.

Yes I agree and that is what I have been teaching my daughter. Even if she will never change her own oil or do a tune up herself I want her to understand what goes into it. Part so that someone doesn't take advantage of her and two so she knows what goes into it so that maybe she will appreciate why a shop charges X amount for the work.

My daughter was a real tomboy up until she was about 12. Now she is a mix between the two.

Reactions: pc1p
Yes, you've got to be especially careful as a female when it comes to automotive. So many of these so called "mechanics" will instantly assume a woman knows nothing, and then try to take them to the cleaners.

Hell, even Jiffy Lube will do it! I went there the other day to have the oil changed on our Honda Odyssey and the guy is sitting there giving me some pitch about how I need to use this internal engine cleaner, have them replace my air filter, serpentine belt, etc., etc.

I just laughed and told him I'd do that stuff myself. However, to someone who didn't know any better, it would be really easy to make them think they needed something they really didn't. And that's why I want my daughter to understand at a minimum how an engine works.

Either way, your daughter has a pretty kick ass vehicle for her age, that's for sure!

Well I started off today thinking I would spray some breakfree on the O2 sensors to start getting them ready to be pulled when we do her tune up. Then I got out the new mirrors I had bought to replace her old which were corroded and hard to turn. So I had bought the 03-06 style mirrors to put on here TJ.

IMG_3531_zps5picbbeh.jpg

IMG_3532_zpsbpiajvzy.jpg

Reactions: TJ Starting
my daughter was also born in 02, had an 02 mustang GT convertible....was not keeping that around as her first car. She conned me out of my 2014 explorer limited, so I got myself a 2016 outback and I am much happier with that for my DD.

Well her TJ is DEAD right now.

The clutch in the Jeep had been slipping for a while but she had failed to tell me about it and last Friday 5/29/20 the clutch SMOKED and the rig won't move an inch on it's own. I'd been under her TJ a few times and knew I needed to check the frame out more but was going to wait until we did the tub swap. Well when the tow truck was dropping the Jeep off as he was rolling it back of the roll deck I got a chance to look at the frame some more. and it was NOT good.

20200530_090159.jpg

20200530_090210.jpg

So at this point without yanking this thing apart I am going to GUESS it might need a new frame. So until I can free up some space in my garage it is getting parked. I'm looking for a new frame right now and will just rebuild her TJ with a new tub & frame. Plus I'll slap in her new axles when I do this. But my Jeep has to get done before I can start working on hers.

Oh man. That's a bummer. Good luck finding a frame. Shipping would probably be a nightmare, but baseline 4x4 in northern Indiana generally has a few. They have a large Ebay presence.

So she still needs a rig to drive until I can fix her Jeep. So I got her a car that has been in the family since new. It was my parents car and then my sister bought it.

20200601_104533.jpg

20200601_104547.jpg

20200601_104609.jpg

My parents used to live by Lk Isabella east of Bakersfield so it's a little sun bleached but in great shape.

Reactions: Chris
My daughter is an '03 model year and is currently learning to drive (though in our current lock down that is next to impossible). I looked in to getting her insured to drive my TJ, but the cost was crazy, c.$5k a year. I guess the insurance market must be very different in the US, how much would it cost to insure a 17 year old on a 4.0l TJ over there?

My daughter is an '03 model year and is currently learning to drive (though in our current lock down that is next to impossible). I looked in to getting her insured to drive my TJ, but the cost was crazy, c.$5k a year. I guess the insurance market must be very different in the US, how much would it cost to insure a 17 year old on a 4.0l TJ over there?
Insurance prices suck for 17 year olds over here too. We just put their cars under our name. There’s no way I’d pay those insurance premiums. I’m not that rich and stupid.