Living in a small town

UPJOHN

TJ Enthusiast
That just keeps getting smaller. There was a time when we had a Ford, GM, Chrysler, and Toyota-Honda dealer in my town. They all closed down, now Kmart is gone in April. All we have left is used car dealers, Wal Mart, dollar stores, a couple of atv/snowmobile dealers, and one super marker.
I have to drive 50 miles to nearest Jeep dealership.

That just keeps getting smaller. There was a time when we had a Ford, GM, Chrysler, and Toyota-Honda dealer in my town. They all closed down, now Kmart is gone in April. All we have left is used car dealers, Wal Mart, dollar stores, a couple of atv/snowmobile dealers, and one super marker.

How far to your nearest major store (i.e. Target, Walmart or major grocery store chain)?

We're moving to a small town soon with an acre of land. I'm looking forward to it since I hate the city.

Don't have any of that sh*+ within 30 miles. Don't miss it much with Rockauto and Amazon!

How far to your nearest major store (i.e. Target, Walmart or major grocery store chain)?

We're moving to a small town soon with an acre of land. I'm looking forward to it since I hate the city.

Walmart is 10 miles from me.
We had a nice little grocery store that was about a mile from me, but it closed and is being renovated to grow medical marijuana.
There is an Oreilly's, CarQuest, and Auto Value 10 miles from me. It's a pain to have to drive 100 miles to get warranty work done on my wife's Dodge Journey.

Reactions: Chris
The place we are moving is 12 miles from the state capital. Doesn't seem like much, but it's far enough out to be the country for sure.

That sucks though having to drive 100 miles for warranty work. But with all that land you have, that's worth the freedom if you ask me.

We have no dealerships, no box stores but within 10 blocks,,, the beach, groceries, post office, bank, pharmacy, courthouse, police, hospital, village office, 20 small businesses, NAPA, KalTire, dentist, doctors offices, accountant, boat launch, town campsite, arena, ballparks, soccer fields, schools..... I love small towns.

And I know half the town on a first name basis.

I was raised in the country. Small towns are all I ever knew. Now Im in Anchorage. Population of all Alaska is 750,000 which about 70% are in Anchorage. The way things are here you would think it had a population or 2 million.

3 Walmarts wwithin a minute drive 2 Costco's and 2 Sams the same distance. Actually I can drive from one end to the other of the city in about 15 minutes. Can't wait to gt back to Idaho.

Kids are almost out of the house. Wife and I were talking about get our house on the market this summer and moving a few mile farther out on a couple of acres. We currently like in a neighborhood a couple miles out of town with a field full of cows behind us. Still it is too much having neighbors you can through a rock and hit. Grew up with my closest neighbor a 1/4 mile away.

Kids are almost out of the house. Wife and I were talking about get our house on the market this summer and moving a few mile farther out on a couple of acres. We currently like in a neighborhood a couple miles out of town with a field full of cows behind us. Still it is too much having neighbors you can through a rock and hit. Grew up with my closest neighbor a 1/4 mile away.

We're planning on doing the same thing once our kids are grown. Sounds like we're in pretty similar living situations, as we currently straddle the line between suburban and nothing but open country.

Reactions: justmedan63
1500 here, but we are in the burbs of a city of 750,000.
Sadly we don't really have a lot of local guys left either. Still have a hardware store and a few small local restaurants nearby, but most everything else is a chain store of some some sort.

But we have a heavily wooded acre with only 8 neighbors on a dead end street, running off a state highway. So we kinda have the best of both worlds.

And we do have a Chrysler Dodge Jeep dealer.