Living with a front auto locker in a snowy climate

freedom_in_4low

I'm a rooster illusion
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Since I'm regearing again and only took 3 wheeling trips before learning that just a rear locker wasn't enough, I'm considering putting one in the front.

All along my plan has been to throw a lunchbox in the front because it's inexpensive, I can do it myself, and even living in Colorado I never really had to drive in the snow, because I have a 4wd pickup and at 6,000' most of the snow melts off by noon the next day. But in March I moved from a place with 40" of annual snowfall to a place 30 miles north and 1300' higher that gets 110" of snow ever year. I'm also debating selling my truck because I work from home and have put about 4000 miles on the truck and Jeep combined in the last 6 months and at least 1000 of that were trips to go wheeling. Selling my truck would also free up funds that could accelerate my plan to get into an LJ (that I would swap my suspension, axles and transfer case into and sell my TJ as a stockish rig with MCE fenders and rock sliders).

Then yesterday, I talked to my new gear guy who as it turns out is NOT a fan of auto lockers in the front or rear. Told me a story about one of his sons closest friends having a front tire blow out on the interstate and the Powertrax locker yanking him over into the ditch and rolling his vehicle (don't know what the vehicle was). This doesn't really jive with my understanding of how an auto locker works but I could see maybe if it was in 4wd at the time or was a full-time 4wd system, or maybe it malfunctioned. Being that the kid died, I can understand an emotional reaction to that incident so I won't push it with him but if he regears my front axle it's going to be open or selectable.

Anyway, I'm curious to hear real world experience from those of you in snowy climates like Colorado above 7,000' or the upper midwest/great lakes area. If you have an auto locker, is driving on snow or ice an inconvenience that you can adjust to, or is it impossible? Do you get by ok just keeping it in 2wd when there's snow on the road? I'd rather not spend the extra $700 to get from a lunchbox to an e-locker or be forced to do it now to avoid paying for yet another gear setup rather than at my convenience...but a necessary expense is a necessary expense, and this one is big enough that I'd rather buy once and cry once even if it means my Jeep goes another month or two without 4wd (I currently have front driveshaft pulled with 4.88 rear and 4.56 front).

My experience with an Aussie locker in my Dana 30 in snowy conditions: 4Hi in a turn with minor acceleration, roughly 15-20mph, you’re going to go straight no matter how far you turn the wheel. The first experience was surprising to say the least.

My experience driving in the snow with a front locker makes steering difficult, but doable if you are careful and experienced at doing it.
There are varying opinions on the having an auto locker in the front; personally I would not do it...

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
I had a lunchbox locker in my front axle. One snowy day I was in 4WD headed to work. Went to turn into the parking lot but kept going straight, so had to disengage 4WD to get into the parking lot. Lunchbox locker got replaced with a selectable shortly after that.

On a wheeling trip in a bit of deeper snow, one of our club members couldn't not remember to turn off his lockers. So every time a tight turn was needed he'd be going straight and you'd hear the CB crackle with someone reminding him "turn off your lockers, Carl!"

• Haha
Reactions: txisboi
Is a selectable locker like an Eaton Elocker or ARB not an option? I’ve driven with selectables in shallow and deep snow, and they are just as predictable as an open differential.

Is a selectable locker like an Eaton Elocker or ARB not an option? I’ve driven with selectables in shallow and deep snow, and they are just as predictable as an open differential.

yeah it's an option. I would go e-locker since that's what I have in the rear.

It's just bad timing right now. Since July we've put in 330' of fence, bought an expensive dog, a new bed, and put a new set of KO2's on my wife's 4runner. I would have rather done the locker at a time other than right after spending $6k on miscellaneous stuff, but that's when my previous poor gear setup decided to reveal itself. We're debt free other than our mortgage but there's a balance in my bank account that gives me a certain comfort level, and it's not there right now and won't be after regearing 2 axles...throwing in a selectable locker makes things worse but it's hard not to do it now to save $500 in install labor later.

Simple solution; buy my LJR. Hahaha seriously though, I’d rather have a selectable in snow. Originally from upstate NY so I’ve been in lots of different vehicles in inclement weather. Scariest was an XJ with lunchbox and my inexperience with that setup. Ended up in a ditch with bruised ego, bent control arms and story I can never outlive

Reactions: CharlesHS
I will offer a counter-point. I live in Missouri that gets snow every now and then. A few years ago when I had an XJ, I put a lunchbox locker in the front BEFORE reading about the "can't steer, will only go straight" concerns.

I was getting ready to take it out and put in an e-locker like I had in the rear, but before I could we got about 6 inches of snow with more coming. I had a business presentation and HAD to get into the office. Needless to say I was not looking forward to my trip into work (about a 40 minute drive on a good day).

I put it in 4 wheel drive, pulled out of my driveway and to my surprise, when I turned the steering wheel, the Jeep turned! I proceeded to go to work without incident. I was no speed demon, but made it to work in just a little over my normal time. Every turn that I had to navigate it turned without issue. I was smart about it and did not try to hard-accelerate through the corners and curves, but I was not driving too much different than I normally did in my lifted XJ.

When the time came I put another lunchbox in my TJ when I got it earlier this year and plan on driving it this winter if we get inclement weather.

To make a long story pretty much the same length, I wouldn't hesitate to drive an auto-locked vehicle in the snow.

Let me just also say that I definitely know all about driving in the snow. Used to live in Buffalo, NY with a spool in the back of a Mustang! Now that was a combination that I would never recommend even on dry pavement!

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT and Hopper
Simple solution; buy my LJR. Hahaha seriously though, I’d rather have a selectable in snow. Originally from upstate NY so I’ve been in lots of different vehicles in inclement weather. Scariest was an XJ with lunchbox and my inexperience with that setup. Ended up in a ditch with bruised ego, bent control arms and story I can never outlive

honestly if the timing was better I could totally have seen that happening. I just have some stuff to take care of on the truck to maximize it's value in a sale, and then actually sell it, and then rebuild my savings account enough that I can have my Jeep and it's replacement sit side by side in the garage for a couple weeks while I swap everything over. I'll probably be pulling the trigger next spring.

I've been running a Detroit TrueTrac in the front of my XJ for the last few years, limited slip in the back, and I've had no issues with steering or traction on snowy roads with my Duratracs.

I ran for a few years open/open with the stock 3.55 gears, and it was such an improvement afterwards (went to 4.56 gears too for my 33s). Not long after the swap I had a great chance to test it out while turning onto a wide snowy road with no traffic coming. Halfway through the turn I punched it, which would have been Fishtail City before. But with the Detroit and limited slip it just slid a tiny bit, hooked, and pulled in the direction I pointed the wheel. Night and day difference.

Isn't the TrueTrac a limited slip as well?
Yes, basically. I think it does better on the street than an auto locker (and it doesn't make noise), but maybe not as well on the trails. It's a nice option when regearing because it doesn't take any extra labor to install.

Yes, basically. I think it does better on the street than an auto locker (and it doesn't make noise), but maybe not as well on the trails. It's a nice option when regearing because it doesn't take any extra labor to install.

I gotcha(y)

Just throwing it out there since the TrueTrac seems to get overlooked often, and I think it's a good option for some situations.

Selectable locker = best option of course, but most expensive
Auto locker = cheaper, good on trails, may be hard to steer
TrueTrac = cheaper, better than open diff on trails, works well on snowy roads, no maintenance

honestly if the timing was better I could totally have seen that happening. I just have some stuff to take care of on the truck to maximize it's value in a sale, and then actually sell it, and then rebuild my savings account enough that I can have my Jeep and it's replacement sit side by side in the garage for a couple weeks while I swap everything over. I'll probably be pulling the trigger next spring.
Now I know people do it but I dont know how people get through life without a pickup truck!!🤔
Oh and I vote e locker

• Haha
Reactions: freedom_in_4low
Since I'm regearing again and only took 3 wheeling trips before learning that just a rear locker wasn't enough, I'm considering putting one in the front.

All along my plan has been to throw a lunchbox in the front because it's inexpensive, I can do it myself, and even living in Colorado I never really had to drive in the snow, because I have a 4wd pickup and at 6,000' most of the snow melts off by noon the next day. But in March I moved from a place with 40" of annual snowfall to a place 30 miles north and 1300' higher that gets 110" of snow ever year. I'm also debating selling my truck because I work from home and have put about 4000 miles on the truck and Jeep combined in the last 6 months and at least 1000 of that were trips to go wheeling. Selling my truck would also free up funds that could accelerate my plan to get into an LJ (that I would swap my suspension, axles and transfer case into and sell my TJ as a stockish rig with MCE fenders and rock sliders).

Then yesterday, I talked to my new gear guy who as it turns out is NOT a fan of auto lockers in the front or rear. Told me a story about one of his sons closest friends having a front tire blow out on the interstate and the Powertrax locker yanking him over into the ditch and rolling his vehicle (don't know what the vehicle was). This doesn't really jive with my understanding of how an auto locker works but I could see maybe if it was in 4wd at the time or was a full-time 4wd system, or maybe it malfunctioned. Being that the kid died, I can understand an emotional reaction to that incident so I won't push it with him but if he regears my front axle it's going to be open or selectable.

Anyway, I'm curious to hear real world experience from those of you in snowy climates like Colorado above 7,000' or the upper midwest/great lakes area. If you have an auto locker, is driving on snow or ice an inconvenience that you can adjust to, or is it impossible? Do you get by ok just keeping it in 2wd when there's snow on the road? I'd rather not spend the extra $700 to get from a lunchbox to an e-locker or be forced to do it now to avoid paying for yet another gear setup rather than at my convenience...but a necessary expense is a necessary expense, and this one is big enough that I'd rather buy once and cry once even if it means my Jeep goes another month or two without 4wd (I currently have front driveshaft pulled with 4.88 rear and 4.56 front).
Everyone says no, but I have a lunchbox in the front and selectable in the rear. We get 48” avg snowfall. I’ve Snow wheeled it. Didn’t bother me. A couple of times I went kinda straight, but it was no issue, and the rule is to turn off the rear selectable so it doesn’t push you forward. When I’ve done that I’ve never had a problem.
And, David Kishpaugh says it his preference. Talk about someone who knows a little about Jeep’s. That’s a huge recommendation. Selectables are very hard on your front end.

Last edited:
I've been running a Detroit TrueTrac in the front of my XJ for the last few years, limited slip in the back, and I've had no issues with steering or traction on snowy roads with my Duratracs.

I ran for a few years open/open with the stock 3.55 gears, and it was such an improvement afterwards (went to 4.56 gears too for my 33s). Not long after the swap I had a great chance to test it out while turning onto a wide snowy road with no traffic coming. Halfway through the turn I punched it, which would have been Fishtail City before. But with the Detroit and limited slip it just slid a tiny bit, hooked, and pulled in the direction I pointed the wheel. Night and day difference.

yeah the problem with the truetrac is it's still a gear driven limited slip and needs SOME grip at the slipping wheel to work. The obstacles I'm on where a front locker would be helpful usually involve a wheel in the air.

Now I'm looking forward to snow covered streets so I can see what driving around town with a locked front is like. Since I already drive most trails with at least the front locked, I think I already know what will happen.

If you normally drive in the snow in 2wd, an auto locker would be fine. If you normally drive in the snow in 4wd, it's an experience.

Reactions: HYRYSC