LJ Raptor Liner Dilemma

RBrokenLJ06

Alright so I have posted this in the other two forms already but this is the last one on the list and I wanted to get all possible responses. I have been using the forums for years and have finally decided to join. I'll start by saying that I know there is a plethora of Raptor line threads, but I could not find some of the answers to my issues so here I go. Currently, I am about 1/3 of the way through Raptor lining the tub of my 06 LJ. I discovered, much to my dismay, that the previous owner used a rubber based liner (think rhino liner, or local spray can bed liner) to spray the front section of the tub, of course he did not do a good, or complete job. I previously thought this was just spray paint, but now I'm in a bind. The way I see it I have a few options. 1) Use a paint stripper to peel away the existing liner and then buy the Upol acid etch since it will strip my paint as well. 2) Continue to use a tiny chisel for the next six months to painstakingly scrape it all by hand as I have been doing. 3) Having already pulled all of the seats and console, call LineX and let them deal with it. Here are my questions/ concerns. If I were to use a paint stripper, how would that damage the seam sealer installed from factory, or would it at all? I imagine it would. Lastly, I know LineX would be more expensive hence the reason I opted for Raptor Liner in the first place, but does anyone have a guess as to how much it would be having already done a decent amount of prep? It is too late to call anyone where I am at and I'm looking for some answers. Any help would be appreciated.

The last one on the list? This should be the first one on the list 🤦🏻

I believe aircraft stripper will take that stuff right off. As to your other questions, those I can’t answer unfortunately, but someone will shortly.

If it’s coming off with difficulty then it’s likely to make a good base to spray over. in the event that you just want it removed because it’s thick enough to cause issues with your surface appearance once you’re done spraying the Raptor then your likely option is Aircraft stripper. Wait a minute or two. Scrape scrape scrape. Aircraft stripper. Wait a minute or two. Scrape scrape scrape. Repeat until you are content with the outcome. Acid etch primer any bare metal. Wait 20-30 minutes. Then Raptor Line per usual...

It doesn’t matter how much prep you’ve done. LineX will still cost a lot. I’ve never seen/heard a realistic quote from them for anything. Especially a Jeep. It’s almost like there is a markup because they know Jeep people are constantly modifying and spending money on our projects…

Reactions: hear
Aircraft stripper works great at removing paint and skin, but it's going to be quite messy.

If it's that rubberized stuff why not try using a propane torch and a paint scraper.
Soften it up with some heat and it will probably scrape right off.

Reactions: Grant Lasson
Aircraft stripper works great at removing paint and skin, but it's going to be quite messy.

If it's that rubberized stuff why not try using a propane torch and a paint scraper.
Soften it up with some heat and it will probably scrape right off.
If you have access to the bottom of the tub, wthout a bunch of stuff in the way, the torch will work wonders for removing rubberize undercoating...and also the seam sealer. If you only have access to the top, a heat gun will be better. It still works, its just a worse job because the rubber will burn more. Removing the seam sealer isn't a big deal. You can pick up more at most auto parts stores, pain supply stores, etc Apply it with a caulk gun, smooth it out. Who cares what it looks like because you're covering it with a texture anyway.

Getting harder to find paint stripper that contains Methylene Chloride. New woke-friendly paint stripper just doesn't work as well as the good ol' nasty stuff.

Thanks for all the help guys. Also, @Chris, you are definitely right that this should've been the first forum. It has always been my number one source and I cannot begin to tell you how many things you, @Jerry Bransford and many others have unknowingly helped me on. A quick update: I was able to get it off using a wire wheel to break it loose followed by lacquer thinner and a scotch brite pad. I followed up with the self etching primer. Here is the finished product. Not sure why they loaded sideways.

tempImageAvS6ql.png

tempImageXpdMn8.png

tempImagejER9Kz.png

tempImageMpKIHO.png

tempImageZH0flI.png

Very nice job! I would do my tub the exact same way again. I love the Raptor that much…

nice job, looks good.

this is something i kinda regret doing.
it holds every piece of dust and dirt that contacts it and is a bitch to keep clean.
sure you can hose it out, with a scrub brush in the other hand. and even though they claim it doesn't fade or chaulk...............it does. at least the 3 brands i have had on vehicles have over time and exposure.

since that post was no help and just my opinion........let me add. some young man came and bought my tailgate that had been covered with the bedliner, he wasn't bothered by it and said he had had success removing it in the past at the body shop he works at.

they use a citrus dissolver, soak rags and lay them out cover it all so it doesn't dry up and let it sit for 24hrs. and it'll bubble up and peel away for the most part. is what he told me.

not sure if the process might soften the body sealer on the laps and edges. few vid's on utube on it.

nice job, looks good.

it holds every piece of dust and dirt that contacts it and is a bitch .
Monstaliner doesn't have this problem. It's got a much smoother texture more like extreme orange peel. Really liked it on the yj.

nice job, looks good.

it holds every piece of dust and dirt that contacts it and is a bitch to keep clean.
sure you can hose it out, with a scrub brush in the other hand. and even though they claim it doesn't fade or chaulk...............it does. at least the 3 brands i have had on vehicles have over time and exposure.
Basically been my experience since I've done it. It's definitely good for keeping the tub rust free, but I'm toying with just putting carpet over it all now because getting the bedliner nice and clean is no small effort and doesn't last long.

I completely get the appeal and for those of us who get and keep our jeeps dirty its really no concern. My TJ is really more of a Sunday driver and I'm at the point where I would rather a nice clean look rather than a hose out interior. All that being said @RBrokenLJ06 the finished product looks fantastic and looks like it will maintain it's sheen much better than my Rustoleum bedliner.