LJ Related Lift Questions

Dsapt9

Supporting Member
Hi folks,

I am new to the jeep world with a recent purchase of a 05 Jeep unlimited and I have been trying to do my home work. It is in stock configuration at the moment and I am trying to decide to lift or not.

With the LJ’s longer body and wheel base how high can I go before needing a SYE and new driveshaft or is the angle less critical as it has a longer drive shaft already? I am looking at somewhere between a 2 to a 4 in max lift. In reality I figure 60% pavement 40% medium off road and winter snow.

I taking the advice of many on the forum and playing with it stock first before going crazy with upgrades.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Reactions: StG58
Hi folks,

I am new to the jeep world with a recent purchase of a 05 Jeep unlimited and I have been trying to do my home work. It is in stock configuration at the moment and I am trying to decide to lift or not. I found this post to be very informative but do have one question

With the LJ’s longer body and wheel base how high can I go before needing a SYE and new driveshaft or is the angle less critical as it has a longer drive shaft already? I am looking at somewhere between a 2 to a 4 in max lift. In reality I figure 60% pavement 40% medium off road and winter snow.

I taking the advice of many on the forum and playing with it stock first before going crazy with upgrades.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Hi Dsapt9,
I do also have a 2004 Unlimited too, great choice!
When i do my home work, decide that I will be doing a 3.5" lift to allocate 33's, Tummy Tuck and re gear and Lockers. To accomplish this I do start with the Ultimate Lift (3.5 OME suspension) kit from DPG Offroad and BFG KO2's 33's. This lift kit includes a 1"MML that avoid two things;
1- The use of Transfer case drop.
2- The SYE and the drive shaft swap.
This answer your question, I think.
Also include the adj Track Bars that will be need it for TT project.
If you decide to go with a SYE, get a regular length, Super short is no need it.
This set up let me have fun in and off road and know my rig while the second part of the project get in place. Keep on mind that the LJ have longer wheel base what is nice but has a terrible break over angle, this last is what deserve consideration when a lift is purchase or put together, I think.
I decide to stay with short arms due the time I do have to work on the Jeep but many fellas swear the mid arms is the way to go with the LJ. Maybe one day I go this road...
Bring all to numbers and compare well. Sometimes we saw a $2500.00 tag on a nice mid arm suspension and turn around to expend $3800.00 to make a cheaper product to work correctly.
I do all the work on the LJ myself so I do avoid some long term works as I do travel frequently for work, but love my LJ ride so much that is becoming my only ride when home.

We like to see lot of Jeep Pictures so feel free to post some on the New Members sub forum.
Feel free to ask me or anyone any question you may have, we are always happy to help!
Good Luck doing your home work and in Welcome to the LJ Family.

You can get away with a lot more on an LJ before you need a SYE / CV driveshaft.

Some examples taken from this thread: What is a SYE/CV driveshaft and why do I want one?
  • A 2.5" lifted LJ with a NV231 transfer case will NOT experience vibrations. No SYE or transfer case drop will be necessary - the driveshaft is long enough the driveline angle is not as severe.
  • A 2.5" lifted LJ Rubicon with a NV241J transfer case will most likely NOT require a Double Cardan Shaft. The shorter transfer case allows for a longer driveshaft and therefore less severe angles.
  • A 4" lifted LJ with a NV231J transfer case will likely NOT require a SYE. Slight vibes may start at 4-4.5", pay close attention! 4-4.5" of lift is about the max you can get out the LJ's single cardan driveshaft without experiencing some vibes. You can most likely do a small transfer case drop (stack washers) to eliminate the vibes, or install a Double Cardan Shaft (SYE for NV231J and Flange style for NV241J).

Reactions: Dsapt9
Thank you both for your response the information is more than helpful. I am still learning my way around the site so thank you for moving my post to the correct location. I currently have no other questions at the moment but as I review more information on this site I am sure more will pop up.

My goal is to do my home work through this winter and by March have my mind made up as to the direction this project is going to go.

So once again thank you for the information

Reactions: Chris
Hey, I saw this post while searching and thought I'd give you an example of how it will likely look. This is my wife's '06 with 3" BDS (short arm) kit and 285/75R16 BFG KM2's. I went with the 3" kit specifically because I did not want to get in to steering and driveshaft mods, I did supplement the lift kit with front coil spacers to make it sit level (it had a noticeable downward rake stock). All of the steering, brake hoses and driveshafts are stock. I can honestly say it rides and drives great, no vibrations or odd steering quirks.

Note: being a Rubicon, ours already has the SYE/CV set up on the rear driveshaft so that may have allowed me to cheat, I don't know.

**** The pic looks like it sits high in the rear but it does not, odd phone camera effect

jeep.jpg

Hey, I saw this post while searching and thought I'd give you an example of how it will likely look. This is my wife's '06 with 3" BDS (short arm) kit and 285/75R16 BFG KM2's. I went with the 3" kit specifically because I did not want to get in to steering and driveshaft mods, I did supplement the lift kit with front coil spacers to make it sit level (it had a noticeable downward rake stock). All of the steering, brake hoses and driveshafts are stock. I can honestly say it rides and drives great, no vibrations or odd steering quirks.

Note: being a Rubicon, ours already has the SYE/CV set up on the rear driveshaft so that may have allowed me to cheat, I don't know.

**** The pic looks like it sits high in the rear but it does not, odd phone camera effect

View attachment 26200

Just found this post. Installing the 3” BDS lift this past weekend on my LJR. Your LJ looks good. Hopefully you’ve been happy with the lift, assuming you still have it.

Just found this post. Installing the 3” BDS lift this past weekend on my LJR. Your LJ looks good. Hopefully you’ve been happy with the lift, assuming you still have it.

I started with a BDS 3", replacing the PO's crappy lift.
It worked well enough, but did not give me 3" of lift so I added some 3/4" spacers.
I ran that for 5 years without issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Danarch
I’ll have to see what I net once all done and it settles. But glad no issues. I assume no vibes or anything with the DS etc?

But glad no issues. I assume no vibes or anything with the DS etc?

No issues back then, even with stock arms and driveshafts.
I've 'upgraded' a few times since then and now unfortunately I'm chasing some vibes.

I’ll have to see what I net once all done and it settles.

Depends on weight; hardtop, bumpers, gear, etc.
Also, how much rake you want (or don't want).

No issues back then, even with stock arms and driveshafts.
I've 'upgraded' a few times since then and now unfortunately I'm chasing some vibes.

Depends on weight; hardtop, bumpers, gear, etc.
Also, how much rake you want (or don't want).

Thanks for the info, good to hear. I am sort of stock. Stock bumpers, winch on the front, and an oil pan skid plate from skid row. Other than that it is stock, I run with the softop for now. OEM hardtop is sitting in the backyard on 4x4’s. I am trying ti decide what to do with it. I really enjoy the flexibility of the OEM soft-top and here in central CA it really doesn’t get that cold. The rake doesn’t seem to bother me so I’ll probably leave that alone.

With the changes hope you can chase down the vibes.