LJ Replacement Soft Top

Rick2004LJ

TJ Enthusiast
2004 LJ with what I think is OEM Soft Top and full hard doors. Having issues with the zippers on side windows - very hard to zip in and out. Back window was brittle & cracked in several places so bought a replacement but top zipper is missing teeth and we can't get it installed. Trying to figure out best Repair or Replacement option.
Background - This is a trail rig only that gets trailered behind our RV, only on road use is to get to a trail head etc. no daily driving. When we wheel, weather permitting, we like to remove side & back windows and doors, so easily removed/replaced windows a plus.
We think we want to stay with the OEM style vs the fastback style? We like the look of the fastback but feel like we would loose a little storage space - we have a cargo box and strap a cooler etc. on top of it - is that really an issue? Anyone with personal experience or opinions of full vs fastback appreciated.
If we decide on a replacement full top, how do I confirm I have OEM frame & hardware vs aftermarket?
Does anyone other than Bestop sell replacement tops for LJ's?
Any advice greatly appreciated.

I do use the Bestop zipper lube on my old soft top, helps with the missing teeth for a time.
I have both top style,
The fastback:
is not an easy remove / replace plus is not designed to be used without the windows so it get loose from the rear quite often unless you change the straps position behind the roll bar and that is more work to do. The space part is mostly similar unless your cargo box is exactly at the edge of the tailgate. If you get it from Bestop comes with everything including new door bezels and the sun rider option which is nice and sometimes avoid the rear windows removal. like the top but has to say the truth, is designed to be on or fully out every time i use with the windows out i have to do extra work.

The OEM style, you have one, so you have the idea. I think what you should look into is the fabric differences, at least Bestop has two different.

I’m not sure how to check the frame but pretty sure someone else will chime in and advise.

Rampage also fabricate LJ’s soft tops. Hear good and bad but I have no experience with them.

If go Bestop, get it from 4WP and add their warranty. For some reason they get the parts all the time on a fast manner and no questions asked.

I have a frameless soft top and really like it. It’s easy to remove the side and rear windows and I usually just run with the bikini top to keep the sun off of me. I like the look/function of a Jeep with A bikini top over the folded down factory style top.

02F51D76-8887-4A67-910C-EDDD3C6C7092.jpeg

I say go with Rampage. No brackets, cages, hoops...just the top following the roll bar.

Storage? It’s a Jeep!!
How easy is it to remove the side windows and back window? If you remove those does the rest of the top get loose like Jorge says above?

LJ.

Or as @Chris prefers the Elites to say, TJ Unlimited. :cool:
I should ask before if is a Bestop. Because mine is thight like a drum but the rear aluminum bar slides to either side and top is out especially driving at high speed without windows. You may have the rear straps set on different location.

Wait till @Chris have an LJ...

I've used OEM and then a Bestop RAT when that wore out. Highly recommend Bestop. It usually boils down to getting what you pay for. Lots of less expensive tops.

Many have the Trektop (fastback). I've heard lots of complaints about getting the windows installed and removed.

I am in the market for a new top to replace my OEM. The windows have clouded up , the rear window zipper is a real pain to deal with and its starting to leak and fray. I think Bestop is the way I am going. I think I am going for the full replacement. The pin or plunger that holds the Sunrider section down has broken on the passenger side and the drivers may break at any moment. The "replace-a-top" is $900. That same top with all new hardware ( door surrounds and the frame and new header) is $1150. Probably will go ahead and get full kit. If anyone is interested the part number for the full kit is #54721-35 ( only available in the Black Diamond cloth ) My Jeep is a 05 TJ Unlimited ( hows that Chris )

Last edited:
Another vote for Bestop. I love my Trektop NX on the LJ (TJU). If you get it, follow the install video from JC Whitney. I had zero issues with the rear window (everyone's biggest complaint) using the steps in that video.