LJ Rubicon on Marketplace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weasellee

Jeep idiot
Supporting Member
Going to look at this tomorrow morning. Can i get some opinions?
Looks so clean.
A friend vin check it for me and says clean with 3 owners

The photo from 1/9/23 shows a not as clean jeep.

Like i said. I’ll put eyes on it tomorrow. 6 hour drive for me.

Please fire away….

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/626564652608328/
https://epicvin.com/check-vin-number-and-get-the-vehicle-history-report/checkout/1j4fa64s85p360700
https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/chec...ZgRTV7rh46RSmcBkO_oU-1676648308-0-gaNycGzNGjs

It looks like a pretty damn good deal from the pictures the frame looks great. Obviously you would have to inspect it personally particularly the inside of the frame rails and body mount channels. It's missing the original hardtop but still priced decently.

Reactions: NJW and Weasellee
I’d would buy that expecting to put money into it. I’d suspect a lower quality lift, based on the tcase drop. It does look clean, but VA Jeeps can be really clean or they can be rust buckets. That said, I’d be making the drive too, if I were in the market

Reactions: Weasellee
According to the link you listed, the buyer bought it on Jan 9 2023 for 20k and is now selling it for 4k less one month later?

Run a carfax before you drive 6 hours. Get inspected by mechanic. You can't totally trust either. But its alot better than not.

Ask "would you mind if I paid for an inspection?". Or get a local mobile mechanic to go with you. Run codes and anything else he has the capabilites to do. For $200. Its worth the investment.

According to the link you listed, the buyer bought it on Jan 9 2023 for 20k and is now selling it for 4k less one month later?

No. It was traded in for 20k value. Sold at auction, cleaned up, resold at auction to my seller. He’s been open and honest. Sent multiple videos. Just seems so low for what it seems to be. Trust me. I’m betting it’s a waste of my time but i enjoy a good road trip. 😁

"cleaned up"

The fresh paint on the frame leaves me more suspect than when I first saw it. To take that amount of time. It must have been or at least looked bad enough to cover up. There's no over spray either. Which means they took some time.

I don't know what prices are out there either. That seems pretty low for an LJ Rubicon.

Reactions: DropTopDon
Run a carfax before you drive 6 hours. Get inspected by mechanic. You can't totally trust either. But its alot better than not.

Ask "would you mind if I paid for an inspection?". Or get a local mobile mechanic to go with you. Run codes and anything else he has the capabilites to do. For $200. Its worth the investment.

I’m bringing my mechanic, I also know my way around Jeep’s. Have the vin report. Looking for the forums eyes on the photos. Thanks again this is what I’m looking for.

"cleaned up"

The fresh paint on the frame leaves me more suspect than when I first saw it. To take that amount of time. It must have been or at least looked bad enough to cover up. There's no over spray either. Which means they took some time.

I don't know what prices are out there either. That seems pretty low for an LJ Rubicon.

People up north say look it has no rust, people down south/west say on no look it's been repainted run away. :) If it has been repainted so what, they didn't use rubberized undercoating, they used regular paint, so no hiding anything, uneven surfaces, pits or scaling would be obvious. If there had been anything heavier than surface rust and the job wasn't done 110% properly it would be rusting out again within days.

I will repeat myself like a broken record; the inside of the frame is everything, the outside is mostly cosmetics provided it's not totally scaling with rust.

No. It was traded in for 20k value. Sold at auction, cleaned up, resold at auction to my seller. He’s been open and honest. Sent multiple videos. Just seems so low for what it seems to be. Trust me. I’m betting it’s a waste of my time but i enjoy a good road trip. 😁

I stand corrected. Dealer posted it for sale after trade in for $20 before sending to auction.

People up north say look it has no rust, people down south/west say on no look it's been repainted run away. :) If it has been repainted so what, they didn't use rubberized undercoating, they used regular paint, so no hiding anything, uneven surfaces, pits or scaling would be obvious. If there had been anything heavier than surface rust and the job wasn't done 110% properly it would be rusting out again within days.

I will repeat myself like a broken record; the inside of the frame is everything, the outside is mostly cosmetics provided it's not totally scaling with rust.

We are bringing a bore scope and …. I am currently driving an LJ that is in dire need of frame repair, i understand frame rot I’m a NY’r.
This one won’t be mine too f the frame needs repair. It’s actually for my son who is active duty Navy. He recently “totaled “ his ‘00 Sahara.

5E54F67D-00F4-4B0F-9BCF-47B5C6A833DC.jpeg

B3AF59BD-17BC-4450-95AD-0DED221A460A.jpeg

WTF. Man that sucks. I missed out on several as well. Keep your head up. Don't compromise. Don't rush. You'll get a nice one.

I’d would buy that expecting to put money into it. I’d suspect a lower quality lift, based on the tcase drop. It does look clean, but VA Jeeps can be really clean or they can be rust buckets. That said, I’d be making the drive too, if I were in the market

A lot of the rust buckets here get transported from up north, mostly PA and aren't VA only cars. Richmond to Norfolk gets much lower snowfall compared with the northern part of the state and the mountains. Mainly due to the Shenandoah Valley typically routing snowstorms towards the north. Still always check though.

Well. Here’s the kick in the ass

View attachment 401094

That seller definitely sold a pair of mint red half doors just before this jeep sold. I had this jeep saved too but the photos kind of looked like the torque boxes may have had some rust forming.

Last edited:
I hate when this happens but in the end you have to tell yourself it wasn't meant to be and move on. There will be another opportunity down the road

• Sad
Status
Not open for further replies.