Talk me off a ledge with this LJ Rubicon Sahara

I don't think that page is updated. The FB page its tied to has a few different registry lists. That site ties it to a list from 2017. Mine (456) is still tied to the PO. The newest list on FB shows my ownership.
Yea, i don't think the FB list is publicly available, but we can cross reference if we figure out what number this one has.

I appreciate this feedback and all the rest as well. Got burned on my first TJ by not doing enough due diligence on the frame and definitely want to avoid a repeat. Basically I have first right of refusal on the Jeep with the refundable deposit. Thursday I go back where I can spend quite a bit of time poking around. I also have a fiber optic inspection camera from work to look inside the frame. My initial impression is the handful of spots underneath were minor surface rust that I would expect to see from a vehicle driven in the Mid-Atlantic. It's not a Southern Ca or Arizona Jeep but orders of magnitude better than the New England specimens I've seen. Keeping my hopes up and we'll see what a more in depth inspection shows.
So there is known rust on a fender, some rust on the frame, and the windshield frame? I would continue looking personally. It’s one thing to buy one not knowing it has rust, but if you’ve personally seen it why go down that road? Look south for a clean one. The price is low because it has obvious rust issues.

So there is known rust on a fender, some rust on the frame, and the windshield frame? I would continue looking personally. It’s one thing to buy one not knowing it has rust, but if you’ve personally seen it why go down that road? Look south for a clean one. The price is low because it has obvious rust issues.

Fair feedback for sure. I definitely don't want to get involved with a mess. To be clear nothing on the frame but you are right about the two other minor issues. I'm not sold on it yet but want to poke around some more and do my due diligence. From the initial inspection I haven't seen another in this condition for less than $19-20k. Low mileage southern or western origin examples people are selling for even more since they realize the market for it. I guess I could hold out and wait to chance upon one and the person doesn't understand the value of what they have...

Fair feedback for sure. I definitely don't want to get involved with a mess. To be clear nothing on the frame but you are right about the two other minor issues. I'm not sold on it yet but want to poke around some more and do my due diligence. From the initial inspection I haven't seen another in this condition for less than $19-20k. Low mileage southern or western origin examples people are selling for even more since they realize the market for it. I guess I could hold out and wait to chance upon one and the person doesn't understand the value of what they have...
Your still buying an LJR with rust issues...you get what you pay for. I know the rubihara is rare, but I wouldn’t let the nostalgia of it sway me. A few more grand you could have a clean one possibly.

I don't think that page is updated. The FB page its tied to has a few different registry lists. That site ties it to a list from 2017. Mine (456) is still tied to the PO. The newest list on FB shows my ownership.
I got my Rubihara in spring of 18. I had to contact the registry and they updated the list within a couple days.

I'm the only person on the planet NOT on Spacebook, and I never plan to be.

Meh, I stay on FB but now it's just the Jeep groups and a few sports teams i follow. If you filter out all the madness its ok. Election year, so might end up taking a break for a few months when it gets too poisonous.

Back to the OP: Do you know what the badge # is on that Rubihara?

Reactions: jazngab
I was really bummed but had to walk. Drove wonderful engine and drivetrain all functioned flawless but had passenger side frame rot I missed on my first visit due to where it was parked. They offered to patch but still wanted full price. Once I said no way and was heading out they mentioned like $10k but that’s still too much for a Jeep I’m gonna have to buy a frame for in reality. (Inspection camera showing signs of trouble brewing on drivers side too)

FADC9C45-2F54-49CB-81FB-8455A71283DD.jpeg

I wonder the same, can a new frame be had ? I know someone was making selling CJ frames.

Being silly but the dealership selling is bosting a 6 month warranty, would that warranty cover the cost of a new frame? probably not but it might be a fun legal battel for someone into that sort of thing. Im just saying some of these dealers are selling these with known bad frames, there ought to be a law right, I mean the jeep is unsafe, right? ish.

Reactions: Starrs
I was really bummed but had to walk. Drove wonderful engine and drivetrain all functioned flawless but had passenger side frame rot I missed on my first visit due to where it was parked. They offered to patch but still wanted full price. Once I said no way and was heading out they mentioned like $10k but that’s still too much for a Jeep I’m gonna have to buy a frame for in reality. (Inspection camera showing signs of trouble brewing on drivers side too)

View attachment 133584
Lol the rust you saw on the fender and wherever else you said it had rust was the appetizer. They shouldn’t even be selling that in that condition. Will that even pass an inspection? There is always more rust lurking if you can see it on the body usually the frame is gonna be worse. Damn

I wonder the same, can a new frame be had ? I know someone was making selling CJ frames.

Being silly but the dealership selling is bosting a 6 month warranty, would that warranty cover the cost of a new frame? probably not but it might be a fun legal battel for someone into that sort of thing. Im just saying some of these dealers are selling these with known bad frames, there ought to be a law right, I mean the jeep is unsafe, right? ish.

Legal battles are not fun, they are costly, time consuming and overall just annoying.

Bad frames are costly, it can be done, but not worth it unless you can do the frame swap or you get the Wrangler for a great price.