LJ shifting problem / losing electrical power

MrV7

Supporting Member
Ahoy all!

I was driving around today when I suddenly couldn't shift into 3rd gear, then when I tried to downshift into 2nd it wouldn't go into gear and I noticed it wouldn't go into any gear. I was able to pull over and while I waited for a tow, with the jeep off, I was able to shift into all the gears. I then started the jeep and tried to shift into gear, again wouldn't not go. This time I left the engine running and pushed a little and tried shifting into gear, again nothing. I noticed that when I was holding it into first it was making enough contact to creep the jeep forward but it just wouldn't go into gear.

Fast forward about 10 mins waiting for the tow, I try again and this time it went into gear and I was able to get it home.

Once I got it back home I checked everything, fluids are good, no leaks, electricals all connected. I'm in my drive way and I decide to see if i can replicate the problem, I back up about 1000ft and try to put it in 1st from R and wouldn't go, wouldn't go into any gear. So I decided to turn the jeep off, put it in 2nd, then start the jeep. Jeep then loses electrical power as if the battery was disconnected. I cycle the ignition about 3-4 times and the power comes back, I then try the same thing and again power cuts off. I couldn't get it back so I had to disconnect and reconnect the battery to get it back. I ended up pushing it in the driveway and just looking for another starting point to look at.

Jeep background - Was just running perfectly fine 2 weeks ago before I brought it from California over to South Florida. I drove it about 50 miles 2 days ago no problems.

Thanks!

Happy Independenace day!

Reactions: Wranglerfix
Well it sounds like you’ve got two different things going on- Your clutch slave cylinder or pressure plate is going and it also sounds like you have a ground issue with the electrical - @Wranglerfix Is really good with these and the @ Symbol will notify him- If it is a manual the clutch has no effect on the electrical system or vice versa-

Reactions: Wranglerfix
Well it sounds like you’ve got two different things going on- Your clutch slave cylinder or pressure plate is going and it also sounds like you have a ground issue with the electrical - @Wranglerfix Is really good with these and the @ Symbol will notify him- If it is a manual the clutch has no effect on the electrical system or vice versa-

Appreciate the input and connection to wranglerfix!

I haven’t been able to get back to looking at the Jeep since the initial symptoms but I do think it has to do with the pressure plate. Have no clue about the electrical issue so I’ll have to look around more for that.
thanks again!

Reactions: AndyG