LJ Trunk Enclosure

VirtualRussel

TJ Enthusiast
I realize that trying to secure a Jeep is a futile attempt against someone who truly wants in. I am interested though in making it a little more challenging for the casual passerby who is interested in whatever I have lying around in the back of my LJ. Especially since I run topless most of the summer.

With that in mind, I've always been interested in the Tuffy Security Deck/Enclosure but not at ~ $450+ nor do I want to lose my back seat. A couple of years ago I stumbled across a set of plans that someone posted on a different forum for a solid enclosure that secures using existing mount points just behind the rear seat as comes close rear tailgate. Has anyone come across something like this before from a vendor like Rokmen, UCF, etc?

If not, I'm finally going to get off my duff and mock this up and validate the measurements and see what my local shop would charge to fab this up for me.

Edited to remove my original plans. I'll post updated plans shortly.

I added my plans to post #25 down below.

Last edited:
Reactions: InOmaha
I am working on something not quite as elaborate but will keep stuff out of sight such as my amp and sub plus misc tools. All I need is to add a piece of diamond treadplate and some carpeting and it should be complete.
159c9cf6e366e040ca15f77bd6622f6d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Funny you bring this up. I've been topless all week and have been looking at options as well. Most of the aftermarket options are more limited space drawers or boxes than true enclosures. I will be working on one in the coming weeks and hope to have functionality near or similar to the Aries Cargo Box for JK's.
IMG_1274.JPG

I know this isn't the most secured thing out there but some days out of sight out of mind is better than nothing at all. I've been looking into getting the bestop deck cover for our LJ and taking to to an upholstery shop to have it cut right behind the back seat. I'll have them sow a water proof zipper on so if I ever wanted the extension I could just zip it on.

IMG_5233.JPG

I've seen that cover/enclosure as well and really wish they built one for an LJ. Let me know what you end up coming up with. I wish I had the time/skills to do design work on something like this.

Will do. Will make sure to update this thread with any progress. Tentative plan is cardboard, plywood(with working hardware), then aluminum.

Is this cut from the plans that you posts recently?

Yes but I did have to modify where the catch is for the tailgate and, instead of a 90deg bend, I had the rear bent to 95deg to follow the line of the rear seat better. I'll make a note in my original post and update with my new plans. The only other debate I'm having is whether or not I'll need to attach it to the tie downs on the floor behind the rear seat (currently covered over by the Bedtred in my pictures). At 1/8" steel, while it can be removed by a single person, it's definitely not light!

Reactions: FF_Jeep
Yes but I did have to modify where the catch is for the tailgate and, instead of a 90deg bend, I had the rear bent to 95deg to follow the line of the rear seat better. I'll make a note in my original post and update with my new plans. The only other debate I'm having is whether or not I'll need to attach it to the tie downs on the floor behind the rear seat (currently covered over by the Bedtred in my pictures). At 1/8" steel, while it can be removed by a single person, it's definitely not light!

If you attach this to the tie down loops, does this mean your attachment will be outside of the box rather than inside? Also, being bent 95°instead of 90°, did you have to make cutouts for each of the rear seatbelt anchor?

If you attach this to the tie down loops, does this mean your attachment will be outside of the box rather than inside? Also, being bent 95°instead of 90°, did you have to make cutouts for each of the rear seatbelt anchor?

If I had bent it straight to 90deg then the tie down loops would have been on the outside of the enclosure. With it being just shy of 90deg, i.e. bent at 95deg, it was just enough to cover the tie downs so my attachment will be inside the enclosure but stops just short of the center and side rear seatbelt anchors.

IMG_0736.jpg