LJ Trunk Enclosure

I moved past the cardboard stage. After some measuring and calculating I came up with this version out of 1/2 plywood. I'll finish making the sides, the scrap on the side raises it 2.5 inches. That puts it at 15 inches under. Its 40.75" to put it between the roll bars. It clears the latch in back.

I plan on paint and carpet on the outside. A rubber piece between the trunk and board and a hook to secure it to the floor. Of it needs more rigidity, I'll add a 1x2 or 2x2 strip to the top at the back and front. I may do that anyway and run eyebolts through for tie downs.

I'll add plans with dimensions when I'm done.

View attachment 179948View attachment 179950View attachment 179951

View attachment 179947
Nice work...should look great once its carpeted

I got the sides done tonight. It took some trial and error to get the funky shape. I'm ready to glue and nail the pieces together then figure out how to hook it down and do some minor adjustments. My tow box fits which was the goal. There's actually 1/8-1/4 inch clearance when I straighten everything up straight.

20200728_204639.jpg

20200728_205334.jpg

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
I got a little further on this after moving my daughter. I added some reinforcing strips on the edges, glued and finish nailed, and it strengthened up a lot.

I'm attaching my final measurements in US and the Entire Rest of the Planet units. I played it by ear with the belt sander and some trial and error in places, but this is the best fit with the least amount of cuts and sanding. If someone wanted they could do an arc around the wheel wells and get a better fit there. I'm going to add 2 carriage bolts by the seat belt strap mounts and use a heavy gauge wire to hold it down in front. I used the overhang in the back to keep it from being raised there. So it should provide a little security.

20200801_145642.jpg

I'm painting it black now and will add the final installed picture and update the bolt location dimensions when it's done.

Attachments

• LJ Trunk Plan 2020.pdf
    212.2 KB · Views: 1,055
Last edited:
I ran out of paint for the inside, but got a second coat on the outside. Not a big deal, so I'll paint it inside later after banging around on it.

20200804_183927.jpg
20200804_184000.jpg

This is what it looks like pressing your nose to the tinted soft top side window. You can't see it from the outside unless you really look.

20200804_184310.jpg

I'll attach the locking bolts when I get a couple smaller carriage bolts. These are too big and will be too close to the edge. I'll look at some eyebolts or fasteners for the corners on top to use for tie down points.

20200804_183950.jpg

Last edited:
I ran out of paint for the inside, but got a second coat on the outside. Not a big deal, so I'll paint it inside later after banging around on it.

View attachment 181447View attachment 181448

This is what it looks like pressing your nose to the tinted soft top side window. You can't see it from the outside unless you really look.

View attachment 181449

I'll attach the locking bolts when I get a couple smaller carriage bolts. These are too big and will be too close to the edge. I'll look at some eyebolts or fasteners for the corners on top to use for tie down points.

View attachment 181450
Tidy bit of work there....a bit of thought and patience really paid off. Looks like you have plenty of room on the top and bottom bunks.

Reactions: InOmaha