LJ with Gr8top

Status
Not open for further replies.

razmaspaz

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=183909953761
I'm intrigued at least since ultimately I'm interested in putting a Gr8top on the LJ I buy, but there are a few things about this build not to like (35s on dana 30s, 90+k miles and 5 owners, seat condition, auto trans). The frame seems solid, the condition looks good, the carpet is nice, and I generally like the aesthetic. Sounds like from the listing the paint is good, but not stellar. Depending on the price at the end of the auction I might feel like it is worth the risk. Seeing these come up with the top is rare, and buying one is a 4-5k expense. But I'll have to swap the brakes, ultimately convert it to dana 44 or more, and get a new lift kit, 'cause I doubt I can trust a pro comp lift. I know I can swap to manual, but I'm thinking I wouldn't ever actually do it. Thoughts from others? Is this a solid place to start a project?

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=183909953761
I'm intrigued at least since ultimately I'm interested in putting a Gr8top on the LJ I buy, but there are a few things about this build not to like (35s on dana 30s, 90+k miles and 5 owners, seat condition, auto trans). The frame seems solid, the condition looks good, the carpet is nice, and I generally like the aesthetic. Sounds like from the listing the paint is good, but not stellar. Depending on the price at the end of the auction I might feel like it is worth the risk. Seeing these come up with the top is rare, and buying one is a 4-5k expense. But I'll have to swap the brakes, ultimately convert it to dana 44 or more, and get a new lift kit, 'cause I doubt I can trust a pro comp lift. I know I can swap to manual, but I'm thinking I wouldn't ever actually do it. Thoughts from others? Is this a solid place to start a project?
If your a fan of the gr8t top then that one might be the one. Those are stupid expensive and getting it shipped to you could be a PIA. Personally Not my taste, but does give it a safari style look.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
It's got a 44 in the rear, depends on how bad you want a manual. I wouldn't buy a Jeep if it didn't have the right transmission I wanted.

Maybe he's strengthened up the 30 up front, doubt it though based on the stock steering

I wouldn't buy a Jeep if it didn't have the right transmission I wanted.
Manual is probably at the bottom of the list of things I care about in the end, and I can't honestly say if I would miss it. If this was a 40k mi Rubicon I'd settle, but given the laundry list it weighs in.

Manual is probably at the bottom of the list of things I care about in the end, and I can't honestly say if I would miss it. If this was a 40k mi Rubicon I'd settle, but given the laundry list it weighs in.
I guess first question is do you have money for an LJR, if not this one may be pretty appealing with the top cost savings.

Depending on your end goals, I look at every suspension system (pro comp in this case) as replaceable. You are going to to want to put your parts on it. Build the 30 up front and you'll have a capable rig.

I'd email them and ask for frame pics

I guess first question is do you have money for an LJR, if not this one may be pretty appealing with the top cost savings.
Let's assume for argument sake I could afford to go either way. I could buy a stock LJR and build it up, or I could buy this and build it to similar minus the stock lockers. I suspect I'm in for close to the same end state cost. Apart from the lockers, I don't think there is much if anything I'm giving up, except maybe resale on the rubicon badge.

The question for me is if this is the more cost effective route to the same end state.

BTW, the frame email is already out in the interwebs.

Status
Not open for further replies.