LJR long term "rebuild"

The work continues, slowly. Had some 1.75" hoops from a buddy we trimmed and installed. Had to notch and weld around the intermediate steering shaft to make space. Cut, grind, weld, hammer you know the drill. My buddy Willie is doing the heavy lifting, this is my first big build but I am learning a lot of new stuff outside of turning wrenches.

Final pic shows both hoops burned in with a tie bar, and a 1.5" .250 wall support bar to the frame. Should be rock solid. We would have finished the front and had it on all 4 wheels but the upper shock tabs are 1/2" too short and the ORI body was touching the hoop. New ones are on the way for next weekend.

I was also able to get all my yokes installed and measure for drive shaft length 41" front, 37" rear, will order them Monday morning. They will be 1350 joints all the way through. Using a local shop for that. Soon we will be installing the armor and cutting all the final holes prior to paint and powder coating. Should have this wrapped up and on the trail by May, I only get Saturday mornings to work on it and I have several weekends I am unavailable. Slower than I planned, but still should get some spring wheeling in before it gets hot out. Should be on all 4 and able to move on its own next weekend.

Ordered some #6 PSC hose and protector wrap for the steering. Need to order brake lines and e-brake cables next.

Lots left to do, armor, harness bar, cage bars, seats, relocate trans cooler the list is shrinking.

Next phase is larger injectors, water meth, and a better tune. Or maybe an engine swap, who knows?

IMG_7413.JPG

IMG_7411.JPG

IMG_7412.JPG

IMG_7415.JPG

Shit is getting real! My buddy Willie picked up a new industrial sized three phase mig machine. I call it WALL-E, it looks a little like a robot. But it welds awesome. Think it’s rated for 5/8 single pass.

289501E4-6F8F-4F70-92D6-A8E985619454.jpeg

We started finishing up the front suspension and got everything burned it. Flexed it out to check interference and it’s good to go.

FD54B0A1-C4C2-499A-9EBB-130276F8AC90.jpeg

69AFFDCD-C028-49F1-811D-BDDB6953D4A1.jpeg

The Motobilt comp length sliders didn’t come with a step and with 43’s my wife demanded one. So we built them out of 1.75” DOM and a grimple plate.

505FFBB5-FCFE-45AF-814F-C24E0B828941.jpeg

8A63CFE1-C678-4456-919B-6421083D93E3.jpeg

Next we put the Jeep on its own weight for the first time in months and pushed it back out of the lift so we could start fitting armor. I want all the adjustments made and holes drilled prior to powder coating.

05DD3016-C020-44EB-B3E9-44897372D22D.jpeg

571B4057-825F-4C19-A44A-F5ECE19F7E1F.jpeg

We also installed the rear driveshaft just to make sure the bolts and bolt pattern is good. No issues there. I have a parts list for brake lines and parking brake cables to order for next week. We hope to finish fitting the armor and pull it all back off for powder next Saturday.

Starting to look like a Jeep again. Getting closer to a shake down run. Another month maybe.

Looking great. And awesome looking welder too.

Thanks! Welder was a FB Market score. He thinks it’s an early 90’s model. Think he paid $400 for it. It’s three phase so no one wanted it. Lucky the shop has big power to it because of the giant well pumps that supply the neighborhood. It works great, way better than the little mig welder we were borrowing. He has a nice tig setup but mig is so much faster.

Got all my brake system bits ordered from Summit. Going to run all 3an braided lines. Still need to measure parking brake cables and see if OE truck ones will work or if I need to make some.

@NashvilleTJ what did you do on your 14B for parking brakes? I have a factory disk axle with the drum parking brake inside. Looks like the truck cables come in several lengths. Did you do custom?

My buddy pushed the Jeep outside today so he could use the lift. First time it’s seen the sun since November. Looks mean, it’s at or close to bump. We put some shop air in the ORI uppers to flex it.

5608F3ED-A9CB-4225-967E-92AB8CCCBDB4.jpeg

Got all my brake system bits ordered from Summit. Going to run all 3an braided lines. Still need to measure parking brake cables and see if OE truck ones will work or if I need to make some.

@NashvilleTJ what did you do on your 14B for parking brakes? I have a factory disk axle with the drum parking brake inside. Looks like the truck cables come in several lengths. Did you do custom?

My buddy pushed the Jeep outside today so he could use the lift. First time it’s seen the sun since November. Looks mean, it’s at or close to bump. We put some shop air in the ORI uppers to flex it.

View attachment 406960

Man, it does look mean. That thing is going to scare young children walking down the street… 🙂

For the parking brake cables I went with a universal set, which worked fine. Simple to cut them to length. I think I picked them up from Summit.

Reactions: AMS417
Man, it does look mean. That thing is going to scare young children walking down the street… 🙂

For the parking brake cables I went with a universal set, which worked fine. Simple to cut them to length. I think I picked them up from Summit.

At least the children won’t confuse it with a school bus. ;)

Will look on Summit and see what I can find, thanks. Going to see if any of the OE will work if the length is close. They are like $15 each.

Not only does it look mean, its got an AFE header with no exhaust, had to chop it in front of the starter for the front upper link. Its sound like a supercharged Ford farm tractor. Its getting a new exhaust as soon as we are done with the body armor. Way too loud for me. Probably would scare children and old ladies.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
Will look on Summit and see what I can find, thanks. Going to see if any of the OE will work if the length is close. They are like $15 each.

Not only does it look mean, its got an AFE header with no exhaust, had to chop it in front of the starter for the front upper link. Its sound like a supercharged Ford farm tractor. Its getting a new exhaust as soon as we are done with the body armor. Way too loud for me. Probably would scare children and old ladies.

I went back and checked. I used the Wilwood Cable Kit, and picked it up from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002G39K0A/?tag=wranglerorg-20

OEM 14 bolt cable end at the brake looks like this:

Also, was it plenty long? I think I stretched a few more inches on mine.

1678729451479.png

Yes, that's what I need!

Did it have plenty of length? I think I stretched a little more in the rear that you did.

You are too quick for me. I edited my post to answer your question just a few seconds after I posted. But yes, plenty long.

And don't be rubbing in your extra length - that's my job around here!

;)

• Haha
Reactions: Wildman
You are too quick for me. I edited my post to answer your question just a few seconds after I posted. But yes, plenty long.

And don't be rubbing in your extra length - that's my job around here!

;)

Many thanks! You saved me probably hours of agonizing over the thousands of pages of parts on Summit.

Order placed! I must have a parking brake. I've seen Jeeps both pop out of gear and roll, and get stuck in park on hill without one.

Many thanks! You saved me probably hours of agonizing over the thousands of pages of parts on Summit.

Order placed! I must have a parking brake. I've seen Jeeps both pop out of gear and roll, and get stuck in park on hill without one.

Yup. Mine also doubles as a cutting brake. Not as good as @B00mb00m 's hydro setup, but it works.

Reactions: AMS417
Yup. Mine also doubles as a cutting brake. Not as good as Boomb's hydro setup, but it works.

That's awesome, I am going over your build thread now. You have a sick Jeep! Running a spool rear for now, so cutting brake wouldn't work for me. If a better 14B selectable comes out I might upgrade. Lots of three point turns in my future for now.