Oregon Local Clubs and Shops

FrankenJEEP

So as I have recently moved to this neck of the woods (Forest Grove just outside Portland) I am at a total loss for where to go for people to wheel with and places that do decent service. I am usually a DIY kinda guy but space is super limited right now. Any insight into either would be greatly appreciated!

In Oregon the top two places that come to mind are Jeep West (in Estacada) and Bones Custom Creations (in Oregon City).

There's likely others I'm not aware of, but those will be the biggest two names in terms of guys who do 100% Jeeps and are well known around the Jeep community.

There's a 4 Wheel Drive Parts store in Tigard that is new, but I always recommend staying away from those guys unless you just need a cheaper part that they have in stock on the shelf. Never let them install anything for you, and don't get suckered into their salesman trying to sell you crap quality parts you don't need (which is mostly what they sell).

Being in FG, you're super close to Brown's Camp as well, which means you can go enjoy some off-roading pretty much anytime.

Reactions: EJD and StG58
In Oregon the top two places that come to mind are Jeep West (in Estacada) and Bones Custom Creations (in Oregon City).

There's likely others I'm not aware of, but those will be the biggest two names in terms of guys who do 100% Jeeps and are well known around the Jeep community.

There's a 4 Wheel Drive Parts store in Tigard that is new, but I always recommend staying away from those guys unless you just need a cheaper part that they have in stock on the shelf. Never let them install anything for you, and don't get suckered into their salesman trying to sell you crap quality parts you don't need (which is mostly what they sell).

Being in FG, you're super close to Brown's Camp as well, which means you can go enjoy some off-roading pretty much anytime.
Nice i will check out those two shops! I found a deal on Craigslist for a Ford 8.8 and HP Dana 30 with OX lockers installed already and because of my lack of space I can't install them myself. I did some research already and found a shop in Vancouver, WA which is about an hour away called Woody's 4x4 that I am going to check out as well.

Yeah I have been to Brown's Camp a couple times but too afraid to go on any trails by myself with stock axles and no winch. Even though I really want to just Leroy Jenkins it lol. Once i get these axles and a winch I will be up there all the time!

Reactions: Chris
Nice i will check out those two shops! I found a deal on Craigslist for a Ford 8.8 and HP Dana 30 with OX lockers installed already and because of my lack of space I can't install them myself. I did some research already and found a shop in Vancouver, WA which is about an hour away called Woody's 4x4 that I am going to check out as well.

Yeah I have been to Brown's Camp a couple times but too afraid to go on any trails by myself with stock axles and no winch. Even though I really want to just Leroy Jenkins it lol. Once i get these axles and a winch I will be up there all the time!

I haven't heard of Woody's 4x4, but I'm also not familiar with Vancouver area shops, so that's why. Check out their work and see what they do. Installing a Ford 8.8 and HP Dana 30 aren't rocket science, so most any shop should be able to do that without any issue.

Oh yeah, I wouldn't take on Brown's Camp without a winch and lockers personally (if I was going alone). However, even then, I would never wheel alone if I had choice. It's always smart to bring another rig with you as I'm sure you know.

Either way, there's a ton of us on here from Oregon, so I'm sure one of us will make it up there with you at some point. I think @StG58 is right in your neck of the woods too, though I'm not sure he's doing the Brown's Camp type stuff.

I'm a little south and west of you. Brown's Camp, Sheridan Peak, Diamond Mill, Sand Lake...There's a few parks in the area. There's also literally more miles of logging roads in various conditions than you can ever drive in a lifetime less than an hour away. Head out Hwy. 6 and grab a road. Have a map and a GPS with you though. It's easy to get turned around up there. On the weekends the log trucks don't usually run, but during the week you'll need a CB to stay out from under foot. Channels are posted on signs, usually, in areas of active logging. On the weekends watch out for bro-dozers and lost Subarus until you get further back. The roads off Hwy 26 are mostly gated. Don't go through an open gate. You might be there awhile.

Then there's heading east to the Cascades or North into SW Washinton.

Seriously, if you can't find exactly the wheeling you're looking for around here, you're not trying very hard. Except rocks. Not a lot of rocks until you get into Eastern Oregon or some places in the Cascades.

Can't really help with clubs and shops. I do my own wrenching. There's a lot of clubs out there. You'll run into them on the trail. Most are pretty cool, but some aren't. Hang with them a couple of times before you sign on to anything. We seem to have more than our fair share of idiots and crazies. There's also more bad advice available than good advice.

Last edited:
I'm a little south and west of you. Brown's Camp, Sheridan Peak, Diamond Mill, Sand Lake...There's a few parks in the area. There's also literally more miles of logging roads in various conditions than you can ever drive in a lifetime less than an hour away. Head out Hwy. 6 and grab a road. Have a map and a GPS with you though. It's easy to get turned around up there. On the weekends the log trucks don't usually run, but during the week you'll need a CB to stay out from under foot. Channels are posted on signs, usually, in areas of active logging. On the weekends watch out for bro-dozers and lost Subarus until you get further back. The roads off Hwy 26 are mostly gated. Don't go through an open gate. You might be there awhile.

Then there's heading east to the Cascades or North into SW Washinton.

Seriously, if you can't find exactly the wheeling you're looking for around here, you're not trying very hard. Except rocks. Not a lot of rocks until you get into Eastern Oregon or some places in the Cascades.
Yeah I went up to one of the logging roads on the back side of Stub Stewart and damn near got lost back there luckily my phone had signal so i was able to get out. That was pretty fun but I would love to go up and do some trails in Brown's Camp as well but my rig isn't quite ready for that yet. I am definitely enjoying the closeness of random dirt roads though its nice to get off pavement and just explore. When i get these axles in and I'm ready to go explore again I will let you guys know and maybe we can meet up somewhere.

Reactions: StG58
Yeah I went up to one of the logging roads on the back side of Stub Stewart and damn near got lost back there luckily my phone had signal so i was able to get out. That was pretty fun but I would love to go up and do some trails in Brown's Camp as well but my rig isn't quite ready for that yet. I am definitely enjoying the closeness of random dirt roads though its nice to get off pavement and just explore. When i get these axles in and I'm ready to go explore again I will let you guys know and maybe we can meet up somewhere.
Yup, cell coverage is spotty up there. Sometimes GPS signals are as well.

If you want to get your feet wet while waiting on your axles...here's a plan. Head south on Hwy. 47 to Carlton. When you get into town make a right on Main St. and head west. The Carlton Corners store, gas station and eatery will be on your left when you make the turn. Head out Main, which turns into Meadow Lake, which turns into the Nestucca River Hwy. It eventually comes out at Beaver on Hwy 101 on the coast south of Tillamook. Once you get past all the homesteads up there you can grab a road, any road, and go exploring. That's my home country up there.

Yup, cell coverage is spotty up there. Sometimes GPS signals are as well.

If you want to get your feet wet while waiting on your axles...here's a plan. Head south on Hwy. 47 to Carlton. When you get into town make a right on Main St. and head west. The Carlton Corners store, gas station and eatery will be on your left when you make the turn. Head out Main, which turns into Meadow Lake, which turns into the Nestucca River Hwy. It eventually comes out at Beaver on Hwy 101 on the coast south of Tillamook. Once you get past all the homesteads up there you can grab a road, any road, and go exploring. That's my home country up there.
Nice! I will try and check it out on Saturday. I was looking for something to do to get out of cleaning the house for Easter and this looks like it will fit the bill nicely!🤘

Reactions: StG58
The loop through Tillamook and back to Forest Grove on Hwy. 6 is a fun, full day trip. There's ways to avoid all the main roads, but that's something you have to be shown. No road signs and very few road names. Just remember that all the mainlines run the ridgetops. Few spur roads connect to anything so if you're dropping off a mainline and going down hill, you're more than likely going to end up at a dead end on a log landing.

Reactions: FrankenJEEP