Oregon Local good jeep mechanic around Portland / Salem area

rscanady

longtime lurker, first time poster, looking for resources. Hopefully @Chris sees this, since he is in Salem. I am looking to regear my 99 TJ and install lockers for next summer, and while very mechanically inclined, i am in search of a good reputable local shop to chat with about it. I do sometime tow my overland/camping trailer (~1100lbs when loaded out)

as extra FYI, here is what I am looking to do:
99 TJ sport, 4.0L, 5spd manual, 77k miles
Dana 30 Front and Dana 44 Rear
4" lift with 35/12.5R17 BFG AT KO

Work i would like done:
Revolution Dana 30/Dana 44 gear package - 5.13
ARB front air locker w/chromoly axles

I am just looking for a reputable shop and an idea on what to pay for labor for this job?

Thank you in advance,
Ryan

The best shop in Salem is hands down RJ's Chassis Dynamics. Absolutely love those guys! The next best in Salem would be Evolution Auto, Scott is a real stand up guy.

In the Portland area, you could reach out to Jeep West (Dave Kishpaugh), but I have a very bitter taste in my mouth from my last experience with him where he let my Jeep sit outside in the lot for a month without even touching it. I finally got so pissed I had to go pick up the Jeep from him since he hadn't done any work on it. @psrivats had a similar experience, but I don't expect him to discuss it publicly.

The bottom line is that Dave does exceptional work, but his work ethic is absolutely horrible. If you ask around, you'll find many agree with me on this, they just feel bad about saying it in public, since Dave is actually a very nice and knowledgeable guy.

RJs can do that work for you and have it done in a day or two, literally. They had my gears done in 2 days. Dropped it off 8 AM Monday morning and it was done Tuesday afternoon. I can't recommend them enough. Those guys are just top notch in terms of communication, standing behind their work, and friendliness.

Thank you so much Chris, exactly what I was looking for. I am in Beaverton, but willing to travel a little bit for good work and customer service!

Any idea what i can expect to pay for a job like that? (data mining you here!)

@rscanady I'm in Hillsboro. Go to John Buss at Maddie's Garage and tell him Sri sent you. He's the best in our area. He's very close to Brookwood Pkwy and TV hwy. Excellent mechanic and very good shop. He can do all the work you are looking to get done. His shop is busy so you may have a bit of a wait time before he gets you in.

@Chris I still respect Dave and he a nice and very knowledgeable guy. He was caught in a bad situation when our Jeeps were with him. He has his own shop now in Estacada and I hear he still continues to do his builds and repairs over there now.

Thank you so much Chris, exactly what I was looking for. I am in Beaverton, but willing to travel a little bit for good work and customer service!

Any idea what i can expect to pay for a job like that? (data mining you here!)
$1500 for gears and labor. Plus the ARB’s.