California Local to Lake Elsinore Mule needed for a short period of time

mrblaine

Crew Member
Supporting Member
I need to use a 2003 Rubicon preferably for a short period of time to test a SKIM module and PCM in. We would remove your PCM, SKIM, ignition cylinder and replace them with the test pieces to see if they are good. Maybe a short test drive around the block to verify that the auto shifts correctly. It may not even start and take less time. We will put your rig back to the condition it arrived in and be responsible for anything untoward that happens. Any Help out there?

Sadly, no help. But, we did figure out that a 2003 PCM will start and run a 2004. The issue I'm helping with is a rig in New York died. The owner took it to a couple shops and they want 2000 bucks to fix it telling him that it needs a new PCM, SKIM, and keys. I had him send me the PCM, ignition lock cylinder, key, and the SKIM module. The PCM is DOA, gauges don't fire up, key icon is lit which says it knows it has SKIM but is malfunctioning.

I had a non Rubi 2003 PCM here so we swapped it in to check and see if it would fire and run an 04 and it did so that means his PCM is dead. He said they want over 500 for one locally. I found one at Davey's for 175 shipped and when it arrives we'll test it, if it fires off correctly, then we will pair the SKIM to it, get two more keys, program them and ship it all back to him. Not hard yet.

Last edited:
Yeah NY is expensive, the bone yards here really know how to price the item just high enough to not have to buy new. There is no such thing as a pick and pull down here in NY

How many shops would do what you did for free or low cost? You’re a unique person in a unique situation. I sure hope you’re training someone to fill the gap when you choose to no longer do what you do.

How many shops would do what you did for free or low cost? You’re a unique person in a unique situation. I sure hope you’re training someone to fill the gap when you choose to no longer do what you do.
I'm not a shop and don't mess with very many so I don't know that answer. For us, that was a good price for very easy work. It literally takes us 5 minutes to have the PCM unhooked, the other one hooked up, ignition lock cylinder out and the SKIM unplugged. From the time the hood was up on the first test, it was maybe 6-7 minutes but for certain under 10 to find out that the first PCM was dead. I walked inside, called Davey's and had another PCM on the way in another 10 minutes or so.

I do realize that it all could have gone different but had that started in that direction, I would have had a conversation with the owner and let him know we couldn't help. We are pretty good at not wasting effort.

What confused everyone on this one was the SKIM key symbol on the dash was illuminated. They thought that meant it was activated and had them locked out of the PCM and wouldn't let the rig start. What they missed was the dash gauges were dead and the only light working was the SKIM light. In this case meant that it knows there is active SKIM and it was working but now there is no communication with the PCM which the dead gauges also pointed to. The oddity is what parts of the PCM didn't die which is the control of the starter. It let the starter work but nothing else.

As for the rest, if I quit tomorrow, there is no one who could take my place in the short term. The two folks I work with could step in eventually if they combined their knowledge and skill sets, but that would take awhile and I don't believe that either one recognizes the full value of the other one enough to change that. I have suggested that a combination of talent to establish a formal platform would be a good thing to ensure a continuation of the knowledge but it gets met with blank stares all around. Oh well.