Locker Question for Jerry Bransford

Shatto

TJ Enthusiast
I learned everything by doing and and kept my first Jeep, a M38A1, on the road. Reliably.

I recently bought a 2012 Rubicon. Half a century between Jeeps leaves me with no understanding at all of pretty much anything Jeep. Besides, neck problems make it difficult to even open the hood and admire the pretty plastic cover that shields me from conducting mischief.

I recently engages the differential locks to drag a full, shed size U-Haul Pod about 20 feet to reposition it. Never touched the gas. Love that. But I digress.
I pushed the button and the rear axle disengaged but nothing I did would disengage the front.

So here I am, needing to race off to an appointment and the front axle won't behave itself, and I'm frantically mashing the button, trying variations of the gears, in and out of 4-wheel drive, backing up, turning off the engine, even unbuckling the seatbelt. All as the front end bucks and jerks. Boy, do I love power steering! I still drive thumbs-up from lessons the old Jeep taught me. But I digress.

What is the secret to turning off the front locker?

44171279_10217901442833990_1270088053527937024_n.jpg

44332967_10217901443274001_5885429235153108992_n.jpg

It might help if we tag @Jerry Bransford in this.

I’m also not sure how much help Jerry will be as you own a JK and this is a TJ forum.

I’m not entirely certain if the JK Rubicon lockers function the same as the TJ Rubicon lockers.

Reactions: Shatto
So, some of these more modern machines need to have the correct "things" going on before they will do or Un-do want you want...

Like-
In neutral but rolling at less than 5mph
The correct sequence: turn off locker then take it out of 4wd
Etc.
I don't know but you may want to play around like that.

BTW, I'm not Jerry, FYI

See Chris, me not knowing the difference? I told you I was out of touch.
Jack up one side of the front, turn the tire back and forth to get it to unlock. If it does, there is nothing wrong and you just needed to achieve neutral pressure on the locking clutch for the disengagement springs to push them apart. That can be achieved by moving the rig side to side slowly with the steering wheel.

Reactions: Shatto