Lockers for daily driver?

papasjeep

I have a 2000 tj, with dana 30/35 combo. I completely rebuilt the dana 30 this past winter with all new parts except axle housing , ring and pinion and carrier( needs some type of locker).

I am looking to rebuild the dana 35 with a super 35 kit or order a ready to bolt in ford 8.8 or dana 44 from East Coast Gear Supply.

That being said I really don't know what type of lockers I really need to run in front and back ( lunchbox, true track ,air , electric or manual etc..) I would like to know some opinions on what most people use in their Jeeps. This would be a daily driver with the ability to do some off roading.

Thanks

I would like to know some opinions on what most people use in their Jeeps. This would be a daily driver with the ability to do some off roading.

My Rubicon came with front and rear lockers from the factory. Neither is really needed for some, or probably even most, off roading.

I do like having the rear locker but I rarely use the front locker because I usually have so much traction with the front tires the TJ doesn't like to turn with it on. It is kinda fun on ice. Having said that, maybe the turning problem is because the front lockers can't be on without the rear. Eventually I'll get my lazy ass (me) to separate them and add them both to 4HI.

I also don't know how much work it is to add a locker, is it so much that it should have been done during the Dana 30 rebuild? I bet we'll find out here.

I'm not trying to keep you away from any lockers, front or rear, just posting my random locker related thoughts while eating my Sunday breakfast.

My Rubicon came with front and rear lockers from the factory. Neither is really needed for some, or probably even most, off roading.

I do like having the rear locker but I rarely use the front locker because I usually have so much traction with the front tires the TJ doesn't like to turn with it on. It is kinda fun on ice. Having said that, maybe the turning problem is because the front lockers can't be on without the rear. Eventually I'll get my lazy ass (me) to separate them and add them both to 4HI.

I also don't know how much work it is to add a locker, is it so much that it should have been done during the Dana 30 rebuild? I bet we'll find out here.

I'm not trying to keep you away from any lockers, front or rear, just posting my random locker related thoughts while eating my Sunday breakfast.
I’d disagree on locker need for off-roading, it makes a significant difference in most situations. I’ve made it through many obstacles without pulling cable locked where I’d otherwise be unsuccessful.

I’d disagree on locker need for off-roading, it makes a significant difference in most situations. I’ve made it through many obstacles without pulling cable locked where I’d otherwise be unsuccessful.

When I first got the Jeep, I was surprised by how little I used the lockers in places where other larger builds seemed to swear by them. Some time later, there are very real places I can't get the Jeep through without lockers or winching. Occasionally, both are needed.

Reactions: AndyG
Beyond the need for lockers is the fact used correctly lockers let you avoid wheel spin and tread lightly.
I'd only recommend selectable lockers in a 4x4. When turning sharply an open diff also lets you tread lightly.
Selectable lets YOU choose the situation to use them.

Don't waste any time or money on the 35. A 44 out of any TJ will bolt right in and is a marked upgrade. Personally, I would recommend ARB's. They're selectable so they do exactly what you're telling them to do, when you're telling them to do it. There's no surprises. With the right compressor, you also gain onboard air which is a handy feature.

Don't waste any time or money on the 35. A 44 out of any TJ will bolt right in and is a marked upgrade.
The Super 35 has been proven over many years to be a solid upgrade, it gives you shafts that are slightly stronger than a Dana 44's. It was tested in Johnson Valley before being introduced into the marketplace, the wheeling doesn't get any more tough than what's available in JV. Not even the Dana 44's axle tubes are stronger, the TJ's Dana 35 and Dana 44 axle tubes are cut from the same tube stock. R&P gear sizes? A non-issue, guys wheeling tough trails with the Super 35 aren't having R&P gear problems. Upgrading from a Dana 35 to a Dana 44 is never a bad thing to do, I did that on my previous TJ, but never sell the Super 35 kit short. It's a worthy upgrade that works well.

On the value of lockers , there is no substitute .

I have access to a good rock climb less than 15 minute from home...I take people there all the time just to amaze them with what lockers do.

Its a little treacherous , we climb it without hitting the clutch in 2lo , lockers on , using the thumb throttle . I can stop half way and climb it from a dead stop also.

A Rubicon manual is amazing as far as manuals go , with the 4:1 crawl ratio.

A Rubicon Automatic is even better .

Reactions: JMT
I went with Eaton elocker in Dana 30 and Eaton true track in Dana 35.
For my needs, that is the best combo.

There is no jack of all traits build. Dual lockers is defiantly not do it all.
Some combination is more suited to this or that situation more than other.

Sometimes I prefer just a rear locker, sometimes just the front, other times I need both, and there are times I don’t need them at all. I’m a huge fan of selectable front and rear and the ability to toggle between them, it gives you more capabilities.

If travel on winter streets wasn't a consideration, my ideal arrangement is probably an auto front and selectable rear.

I’m the guy who likes auto lockers in both axles. Detroit’s or lunchbox. On road mannerisms are not the boogeyman. You learn the characteristics and it becomes a non-issue.

Or at least that’s my experience. Of which there’s been a lot.
I ran auto lockers in both axles (Detroit Locker in the rear and a Powertrax No-Slip lunchbox locker in front) of my previous TJ and loved them. I know I wouldn't have loved them if I lived where I had to drive on icy/snowy streets regularly but since I don't, they were great for me.

P.S. Since not many actually understand how automatic lockers work, it'd make more sense if they were called auto-UNlockers. They are locked until you make a turn at which time they automatically unlock... so long as you're not also stomping on the gas pedal at the same time.

Last edited:
I’m the guy who likes auto lockers in both axles. Detroit’s or lunchbox. On road mannerisms are not the boogeyman. You learn the characteristics and it becomes a non-issue.

Or at least that’s my experience. Of which there’s been a lot.
I’m thinking of doing auto lockers in both axles on my TJ. But wasn’t sure what to expect. I understand the clicking sound they make. What has been the worst thing that you experienced and was it even that bad?

I’m thinking of doing auto lockers in both axles on my TJ. But wasn’t sure what to expect. I understand the clicking sound they make. What has been the worst thing that you experienced and was it even that bad?
I never has a bad experience with mine. As said above I loved them in my SoCal conditions. But also as said above I wouldn't recommend them to anyone who has to drive on icy or snow covered streets unless they would be extremely careful.

Selectable wins in all categories other than dependability. I love my selectable but there have been times they have let me down.

When I ran Detroit in the rear and lunchbox upfront it just always worked.. But that also made trails not as fun, caused unneed wear, and wasn't that fun in the winter. I ended up eventually getting rid of that setup and going to selectable air lockers and much prefer the setup. Even if it does mean the odd time I need to fix a leak.

I have auto lockers front/back currently.

On super tight trails I need to do a few 3 point turns to make it around some corners.
There's some funkyness low speed in parking lots, it will sometimes bind up turning into a parking spot/etc.

I have auto lockers front/back currently.

On super tight trails I need to do a few 3 point turns to make it around some corners.
There's some funkyness low speed in parking lots, it will sometimes bind up turning into a parking spot/etc.
I see your from Wisconsin how about winter driving? This isn’t my daily driver but should we get a bunch of snow take it out to play. Just curious on what people think. Thanks