Lockers not working on 2005 Sahara Rubicon

Jakea4m

Supporting Member
I picked up my 3rd LJ yesterday its a Sahara, has the rubicon axles and lockers, when I try to engage the lockers nothing happens at all I have never had a vehicle with lockers so not really sure what to expect to know where to start , any an d all assistance would be appreciated

30063494-AA41-4651-B4E9-F0E388A44BE1.png

Lockers won't lock when the Jeep is sitting still or if you drive straight ahead. It takes a slight turn or two so the locker halves can engage each other. Like a flat blade screwdriver and its slot in the screw. Don't lock both up on pavement or you'll have a hard time getting them unlocked or sometimes even moving.

Reactions: Wranglerfix
Lockers won't lock when the Jeep is sitting still or if you drive straight ahead. It takes a slight turn or two so the locker halves can engage each other. Like a flat blade screwdriver and its screw. Don't lock both up on pavement or you'll have a hard time getting them unlocked or sometimes even moving.
Thanks I Will give that a try, everything else worked and the Rubcon low side is magical

Not necessarily on his non-Rubicon where the Rubicon axles were apparently added by a previous owner. At least I read it to be a non-Rubicon and I don't see a Rubicon decal on his hood.
Ah, I should have paid closer attention when I read his post. I just read LJ, Rubicon and lockers, completely missed the Sahara part.

Not necessarily on his non-Rubicon where the Rubicon axles were apparently added by a previous owner. At least I read it to be a non-Rubicon and I don't see a Rubicon decal on his hood.
It’s an 05 Sahara which is a rubicon with a few added cosmetic items, I was in the low side, but was actually waiting till the light lit up to try and go anywhere , I guess the switch will light up after they actually engage. I will find some soft surface to try it out again and report back.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
It’s an 05 Sahara which is a rubicon with a few added cosmetic items
A Sahara does not come with the 4:1 t-case, Dana 44 front axle or lockers, only the Rubicon does. Well, unless it's a rare Sahara Rubicon, but I'm not sure if that trim was offered for the LJ.

I've seen a LJRS for sale recently. Cant remember where because I look at so many sites. I really dont know though, could have been a scam.

They made LJR’s Sahara’s in a limited edition of 1,000 and each one is numbered and that number is on a plaque on the dash if I remember that correctly. They are all Khaki colored.
The factory installed Rubicon stickers on their hoods right?

A Sahara does not come with the 4:1 t-case, Dana 44 front axle or lockers, only the Rubicon does. Well, unless it's a rare Sahara Rubicon, but I'm not sure if that trim was offered for the LJ.
In 2005 Jeep made a deal with , I think Paramount for the Movie Sahara, they made 1000 Sahara’s, they were LJ Rubicons with some Sahara cosmetics added.

Lockers won't lock when the Jeep is sitting still or if you drive straight ahead. It takes a slight turn or two so the locker halves can engage each other. Like a flat blade screwdriver and its screw. Don't lock both up on pavement or you'll have a hard time getting them unlocked or sometimes even moving.

It has a 1 or 2” body lift which has changed the angle of the transfer linkage pivot pin, so not sure the jeep realizes its in 4 low. I have seen a few brackets to drop the linkage pivot back down, or may just take the body lift off of it.

It has a 1 or 2” body lift which has changed the angle of the transfer linkage pivot pin, so not sure the jeep realizes its in 4 low. I have seen a few brackets to drop the linkage pivot back down, or may just take the body lift off of it.
You're gonna have to be fairly specific in what happens other than the lockers don't work. When you put it in 4 low, there is a 4wd light on the dash that is supposed to illuminate. If that doesn't illuminate, then the locker switch won't light up indicating that the lockers are able to be engaged. The PCM gets the signal from the variable resistance switch on the t-case when in the correct mode, and then sends that to the dash light which then powers up the locker switch.

The most common failure is the t-case switch, second most common is the PCM has been replaced and it has the wrong software program in it. See if the PCM has a reman sticker on it and check the t-case switch.

You need to find out if it is 1" or 2" on the BL. 1" is good, 2" is bad. If you got it into 4 low, then it knows it was in 4wd.

You're gonna have to be fairly specific in what happens other than the lockers don't work. When you put it in 4 low, there is a 4wd light on the dash that is supposed to illuminate. If that doesn't illuminate, then the locker switch won't light up indicating that the lockers are able to be engaged. The PCM gets the signal from the variable resistance switch on the t-case when in the correct mode, and then sends that to the dash light which then powers up the locker switch.

The most common failure is the t-case switch, second most common is the PCM has been replaced and it has the wrong software program in it. See if the PCM has a reman sticker on it and check the t-case switch.

You need to find out if it is 1" or 2" on the BL. 1" is good, 2" is bad. If you got it into 4 low, then it knows it was in 4wd.

It has about 2” of space between the frame and body, so I am going with 2” lift . I was able to get it into 4 Lo and it worked, but when I pushed the locker switch nothing happens no light on switch and no light on the dash other then the 4WD in the top right corner of dash.and while I was playing with it the linkage for the transfer case “popped” out of the pivot bracket. It was in 4Hi at that point so I left it till I was through and was able to manipulate the linkage back to 2Wd. I expected that the light on the push button would flash until it was actually locked, so I figured either it didn't recognize it was in 4Lo. Looks like first thing is to remove the 2” lift and get the linkage working correctly adn then go from there.

It has about 2” of space between the frame and body, so I am going with 2” lift .
The stock body mount is over an inch so a 2" space over the frame mount would not be a 2" body lift. Maybe a picture would help?

I was able to get it into 4 Lo and it worked, but when I pushed the locker switch nothing happens no light on switch and no light on the dash other then the 4WD in the top right corner of dash.and while I was playing with it the linkage for the transfer case “popped” out of the pivot bracket. It was in 4Hi at that point so I left it till I was through and was able to manipulate the linkage back to 2Wd. I expected that the light on the push button would flash until it was actually locked, so I figured either it didn't recognize it was in 4Lo. Looks like first thing is to remove the 2” lift and get the linkage working correctly adn then go from there.
Try a cable shifter. Solves a few problems and you no longer depend on the drivetrain and tub maintaining a fixed relationship to be able to shift the case.

The stock body mount is over an inch so a 2" space over the frame mount would not be a 2" body lift. Maybe a picture would help?

Try a cable shifter. Solves a few problems and you no longer depend on the drivetrain and tub maintaining a fixed relationship to be able to shift the case.
This may help

View attachment 103322

5C7466EB-942A-47BB-9F43-B83C7DA8FB43.jpeg