Lockers on nearly stock Jeep, thoughts?

I have a 2000 TJ that is, for the most part, stock. No lifts, huge tires, or anything like that. It is currently my daily driver, but I like to take it off-roading on the weekends.

How foolish would it be to set it up with selectable lockers?

I really like the way a simple and not over-the-top Jeep looks. However, I also want it do be very capable off-road. Nothing too crazy, but there are certain places that I want to go that I think it would struggle without lockers.

The question is, will I cause damage to my axles/differential and will it be pointless using differential lockers without the extra clearance that a lift and large tires give?

9606C693-20DA-433A-8F2D-639F95383381.jpeg

Reactions: Pmeguy and JMT
I would do it. However, if you think you’re going to go up in tire size and it may require a re-gear. Then I would do it then.
I put in a rear ARB locker during my re-gear, I love it. It was all I had money for or I would have done both. It was a failed diff, so I couldn’t just save for the front locker and then do it.

Reactions: Jeffreybomb
A stock TJ with a locker will get you into situations easier that’ll make your pucker factory triple. Go for it! I wheeled a stock JK for years without lockers. Bought a JKU Rubicon and the first time I used lockers it felt like easy mode on an obstacle that I really struggled with when I didn’t have them on my JK. Outside of good tires / winch / recovery gear, a locker is the best mod IMO a person can do.

Reactions: Hound Dog
Get them. One less thing off the list for later. But, a re-gear might be worthwhile too if you are already opening the diffs up (if you aren't happy with it currently).

Lift it too. Do it. Kidding. I mean, it already has a winch... (y)

Lockers are the best mod ever. They should be the first mod. No other mod will improve the off road capability more.

Lockers eliminate wheel spin, drama and let you tread lightly too, Rather than needing momentum you can crawl up that slope.

Reactions: Hound Dog
First, decide if you expect to regear at some point because of going to larger tires or to compensate for larger tires you might already be running. All of the labor to install lockers is exactly the same as the labor to regear. If you expect to regear, you'll want to regear and install lockers at the same time. Otherwise, you'll be spending twice the $$.

Lockers are great. But what axle do you have? Dana 44 or Dana 35? That will make a difference on what needs to be done to be able to run lockers.

Reactions: Phil Younger
An inexpensive and easily installed lunchbox locker would be fine in your front Dana 30 axle. An Aussie lunchbox locker is a good choice, it clicks/ratchets softly when you're making turns in 2wd though. If you don't want it to click/ratchet during turns you can go with the No-Slip lunchbox locker from Powertrax though it's about $100 more.

I usually prefer a rear locker first though, but your rear axle is only strong enough if it's the optional Dana 44 axle. The standard Dana 35 rear axle is not strong enough for a locker.

Take a look at these photos to determine if your rear axle is the standard Dana 35 or the more desirable Dana 44.

Basically the Dana 35 has a perfectly oval-shaped differential cover and it has a black-plastic snap-in fill hole plug. The Dana 44 is more stop sign shaped and has a threaded steel bolt plugging its fill hole.

Once you figure out what rear axle we can help you figure out if a rear locker is best or if a less costly front lunchbox locker would be enough.

This is a Dana 35.

Dana35c Cover.jpg
'

This is a Dana 44.

Dana-44-good-pic.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing to add to the answers above, just came here to say that I think this is a cool topic to read about.

It seems like so many people want to do everything in their power and price range to go all out on their rig. There's a lot of rigs out there that barely resemble a TJ anymore aside from the body.

Last edited:
Reactions: xxdabroxx
Nothing to add to the answers above, just came here to say that I think this is a cool topic to read about.

It seems like so many people want to do everything in their power and price range to go all out on their rig. There's a lot of rigs out there that barely resemble a TJ anymore aside from the body.

There are a lot of things that you can accomplish with lockers and 31's. Not everyone needs a wild build. That's not to say that I wouldn't love to have a wild build though.

<snip>
I usually prefer a rear locker first though, but your rear axle is only strong enough if it's the optional Dana 44 axle. The standard Dana 35 rear axle is not strong enough for a locker.
<snip>

Perhaps my new-ish to me TJ is an exception, but in addition to other trails, it has traversed the Rubicon and Dusy several times for the previous owner on stock Dana 30/Dana 35 axles with ARBs in both ends on 31" tires. I can't vouch for how it'd do in the mud (no desire for me), but it has held up (so far).

That said, the Super 35 wasn't available back when these lockers were installed and that is how I would do it today :ROFLMAO:

I have a 2000 TJ that is, for the most part, stock. No lifts, huge tires, or anything like that. It is currently my daily driver, but I like to take it off-roading on the weekends.

How foolish would it be to set it up with selectable lockers?

I really like the way a simple and not over-the-top Jeep looks. However, I also want it do be very capable off-road. Nothing too crazy, but there are certain places that I want to go that I think it would struggle without lockers.

The question is, will I cause damage to my axles/differential and will it be pointless using differential lockers without the extra clearance that a lift and large tires give?

View attachment 134732
I love that look! Great looking rig!
I like the black slats in the grill. Where did you get those?

yes to lockers. I think you’d be fine on a tire up to 31’s

My first performance mod was a front lunchbox locker on 31s and a BB lift. It did ALOT. Kinda miss the simplicity of those days with my Jeep.