Locking storage compartment options

Axeman

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Looking for some input on locking storage options for my 2006. I have the flip and tumble seats on both sides which limits my underseat options. I won't be keeping anything too valuable, just registration paperwork, locking lug key, garage door opener, and other small items at times. My TJ is garaged and I don't really leave it parked too many places for long. The top and doors are off it 99% of the time where it is my 2nd vehicle and stored in the garage. My center console isn't really an option because I built it to fit a subwoofer and amp so I don't want to change that right now.

Here's what I am considering:

Tuffy conceal carry compartment: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PWXJJRA/?tag=wranglerorg-20
Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 6.42.07 AM.png

My concern with this is that it is very small for the flip seat version, and it sticks out where it can be seen. My seat is all the way back where I'm over 6 feet tall, and I may be getting the 'big boy' brackets to push the seat back even more.

Owens storage box: https://www.owens-pro.com/product/j..._wrangler_tj_heavy_gauge_aluminum_black_owens

Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 6.45.05 AM.png

It doesn't say whether or not this is for flip seats, but judging by the length of it compared to the Tuffy option, it most likely wouldn't work.

I could also get the Tuffy Glovebox: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q5O8P70/?tag=wranglerorg-20
Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 6.47.31 AM.png

This is the more expensive option but would offer a little more space that the underseat options.

Does anyone have any of these three products in their rig? is there an option I am missing?

I have the Tuffy under seat box but it looks a lot longer than that one, my driver’s seat isn’t a flip, only the passenger side is. I’m short at 5’7 so the seat conceals it, I have to pull the seat back to access it so it’s hidden from sight at all times. I wouldn’t worry too much about yours being exposed, it’s just a deterrent anyway, anyone wanting in is getting in anyway, you’re just keeping the honest, honest.

Generally speaking it’s a very high quality apparatus, very smooth operation & holds far more than I’ve ever needed to put in it. With your description even the smaller version sounds plenty big enough. This was one of the very first things I put in my TJ years ago. The installation was a bit of a pain in the ass if memory serves, but that’s par for the course I suppose. I highly recommend Tuffy.

I've been doing the same looking and I my Jeep is used very much like yours, vast majority of the time doors and windows off but parked in the garage when not used. I measured my winch remote and it won't even fit in the tuffy box for flip seat. I keep my registration in the glove box and lock it (lots of good that will do right). I did buy and install this garage door opener. It is very hard to notice it is there. I powered it with ignition-on power so if I do leave it in the driveway it cant be used to open the garage.

IMG_4221.jpeg
IMG_3950.jpeg

I've been doing the same looking and I my Jeep is used very much like yours, vast majority of the time doors and windows off but parked in the garage when not used. I measured my winch remote and it won't even fit in the tuffy box for flip seat. I keep my registration in the glove box and lock it (lots of good that will do right). I did buy and install this garage door opener. It is very hard to notice it is there. I powered it with ignition-on power so if I do leave it in the driveway it cant be used to open the garage.

View attachment 182407View attachment 182406
That’s pretty neat, do you have a link to get that one? That would solve one issue

It was on eBay. Salvaged out of an unknown car. There were several available in various colors when I bought it about 2 years ago. It is a home link brand remote. It must have been from a somewhat older vehicle. Garage door opener security technology was updated at some point. It worked perfect with my older garage door opener (2003) but required "bridge" to work on my newer Chamberlain (2016).

I was going to go this route, but we recently replaced our opener and it now has an app and we can just our phones. My sister was able to add it on to her older opener, which may be an option for some.

I can open the door with newer opener with my phone but it is several steps to unlock the phone, find the app, log into the app and open it. There have been times my app was not very reliable either. When I bought the LJ that panel with opener installed was one of the first things I moved over from the TJ.

Reactions: rasband
I have the Tuffy Glovebox installed in my 2005 Unlimited and love it. It was a very quick and easy install and will definitely deter anyone trying to make a quick snatch and grab. Nothing is going to be completely secure but it would take some effort to get in.

I use my Jeep similar to you. Top is rarely on. I have the Tuffy box (Non flip seat version) under driver seat. It holds exactly what you mentioned opener, registration, insurance card and on occasion, my money clip. For size reference, it will hold a Glock 19 if you position it just right.

I have the version with a key lock. If you go with the combination lock, read the instructions and follow step by step. I forget how I did it now but, you have to hold a pin down at the same time as you set the combination or, the lock is useless. I lost grip of the pin and $20 gone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Axeman
I have seen a mangled heavily damaged plastic dashboard panel, thieves used a pry bar to get in to the glove box.
They went to put a large hole on the top portion of the glove box cover.

I have seen a mangled heavily damaged plastic dashboard panel, thieves used a pry bar to get in to the glove box.
That's why I don't bother locking it, they'll just get a bunch of napkins. My concern is more if my registration and garage opener are in there, they may be able to put 2 & 2 together....

Was this with a stock glovebox or steel? I would assume anyone can break into the stock glovebox with a good pull.

Was this with a stock glovebox or steel? I would assume anyone can break into the stock glovebox with a good pull.
The modified aftermarket globe box. There was a sheet metal inside that has busted screws.
This was up north in a Home Depot parking lot :( thieves are getting brutal (because of the internet).

Last edited:
I have the TJ concealed carry drawer for flip seats. I use it for small items like you describe and it's perfect. I'd strongly suggest skipping the Tuffy glove box, I've seen the damage done when they are ripped from the dash, it's ugly and took very little effort on the part of the thief. The concealed carry drawer is visible if you look for it but it's pretty secure and out of the way for the most part. It sits entirely behind the rise in the foot well. If you rest your feet on that riser it will be in the way, if your feet are resting in the lower section of the tub you'll be fine.

Reactions: Axeman and TJ2
I have the Tuffy glovebox, console and underseat drawer in my 06 TJ. I ordered the drawer for the 97-02 non-flip seats since thats seats I have in mine. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy either of the products again.

Reactions: Axeman and pagrey
I have flip seats and a Tuffy under the pass side. Fits more than you'd think. I Also have the Tuffy glovebox and it's pretty neat, too. I'd recommend them both. I've padded both.

Reactions: Axeman