LOD signature series rear bumper / tire carrier info and pics

MountaineerTom

LJ Enthusiast, Retired USAF Weapons Loader
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
LOD Signature Series bumper/tire carrier with rear lights. I ordered it from Northridge 4x4 earlier this year. It took a few weeks for them to make and ship it, which was expected. They forgot to include the frame tie-ins, which was supposed to come with the Signature Series. It was no fault of Northridge 4x4 and they got the ball rolling contacting LOD, which got them out to me after a week or so.

This thing is HEAVY. It dropped my rear end 1-1/8 inches. I weighed different parts for my own knowledge, but thought it might help someone else.

Bumper - 71 lbs
Tire Carrier - 39 lbs
31x10.50-15 BFG KM2 on Pro Comp 15x8 wheel - 64 lbs

For reference, the factory 15x8 Canyon wheel with a 30x9.50-15 Goodyear Wrangler GS-A tire - 53 lbs

I took a few pictures of the backside and bottom because I couldn't really find any when I was looking for info on them. 4 holes had to be drilled in the rear crossmember in order to utilize all 8 mounting points or the face of the bumper.

This was before my lift, Rubicon Flare and Rock Rails.

IMG_4189.JPGIMG_4194.PNGIMG_4195.JPGIMG_4198.JPGIMG_4199.JPGIMG_4200.JPGIMG_4201.JPGIMG_4215.JPGIMG_4217.JPGIMG_4218.JPGIMG_4219.JPGIMG_4247.JPGIMG_4250.JPG

I drilled the rivets out that hold the emblem on and sprayed it with a few coats of Rustoleum Textured paint. It matches the LOD powdercoating pretty well.

IMG_4205.JPG
IMG_4263.JPG

After a week or so, the Frame Tie-ins arrived so I got them installed. They supply long bolts and tell you to drill through the inside part of frame to install them. I didn’t see a need to do that so I just got some shorter grade 8’s and installed them through the existing holes. The longer bolts would be easier to install but I didn’t want to drill unneeded holes in my frame. Used some fishing line tied to the upper bolt to pull it through. The bottom wasn’t to hard to get installed, but a magnet made it very easy. A boxed end wrench fit up through the oval hole in the bottom easily to hold the bolt heads.

IMG_4397.JPG
IMG_4398.JPG
IMG_4403.JPG
IMG_4404.JPG

I few month later, I added LOD's trail rack. It holds The ARB Cargo Gear bag perfectly. 27.4 lbs for the trail rack.

IMG_5431.JPG
FA8FBC43-8E0D-46C9-B49B-FFF15F957A3D.jpeg
IMG_5543.JPG
IMG_6337.JPG

A few weeks later, I finally got the rear lights wired up through a relay and using a XJ Cherokee fog light switch that I got off ebay.

IMG_5601.JPG
IMG_5634.JPG
IMG_5670.JPG
IMG_5633.JPG
IMG_5671.JPG

One thing I didn't notice until it was all installed was this piece that's circled was installed upside down. The smaller holes should be towards the bottom of the bumper. They are for attaching your safety chains if your towing anything. I'll just re-drill a couple holes somewhere or weld on a loop sometime.

IMG_4198_LI.jpg

Last edited:
Impressive! I don't think I have seen (or heard of) these bumpers before.

They look very well built! I assume these are made in the USA?

Yes, they are in Indiana. https://lodoffroad.com/ You can get their stuff in bare metal or black powder coated.

My front bumper is an LOD bumper also. I plan to get their Jerry Can holders to mount to the tire carrier in the future also. When I was looking for a front bumper I came across them. I've been happy with their products.

Last edited:
Nice looking set up. I have had an LOD rear bumper/tire carrier on my TJ for around 9 or 10 years? Been awhile so can't remember for sure. Solid bumper for me so far and was a really good price compared to other bumpers at the time. My only real complaint is I have had to sand and repaint it a couple times because of slight rust and that isn't a big deal to me. To be fair, I live in Iowa and the salt and brine do a number on everything.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Nice looking set up. I have had an LOD rear bumper/tire carrier on my TJ for around 9 or 10 years? Been awhile so can't remember for sure. Solid bumper for me so far and was a really good price compared to other bumpers at the time. My only real complaint is I have had to sand and repaint it a couple times because of slight rust and that isn't a big deal to me. To be fair, I live in Iowa and the salt and brine do a number on everything.

That's good to hear about their longevity. Fortunately, I don't have to deal with road salt in the winter where I live.

Reactions: abart
I've talked to them a few times about buying a bumper since I live about 1.5 hours from their shop and could pick up locally for a reduced price but haven't pulled the trigger. Thanks for posting pics!

Reactions: MountaineerTom
What a difference the new flares made. Bumper looks great, good job.

Yeah. My son said I needed to replace those faded flares. I told him they weren’t originally black. They are the Khaki flares. I’m sure they faded some also. They really looked it after getting the new soft top. If it had came with the OEM Khaki hard or soft top I may have kept them, but I thought the black flares would look better with the black top. Plus I wanted the slightly wider Rubicon flares.

Last edited:
Since it's been about a year figured I'd ask what you ended up doing for safety chains. Just installed mine recently and the spot to hook is still the same

Yeah, I had read your write up on it but didn't put 2 & 2 together until it was installed and I looked underneath

Yeah, I had read your write up on it but didn't put 2 & 2 together until it was installed and I looked underneath

Dang, that sucks. I figured mine was just a random mistake. Sounds like they need some more thorough quality control.

I thought I read somewhere thats what they were for. I just checked their page and it’s not in there, so I dont know where it was.

It looked to me (after being installed) that if it was flipped over, chains would go up in those big rectangular holes on the bottom of the bumper and then have room to hook into those holes. Maybe not, I dont know. I just figured someone had a part laying in the wrong position during assembly.

I'm gonna give them a call on Monday, but something just came to mind.

I can't remember exactly what Blaine said but it was something like 'use 12 grade 8 bolts and you won't need frame tie ins'. If my math is right, the 6 OEM holes and 4 drilled holes in the instructions, those two where we think chains hook to look roughly the same size. I wonder if they can be or are used for two more bolts.

I think the built in little step in the bumper might be in the way of installing bolts. I could be wrong though. I don't know if you could fit a nut on that side and use a short bolt from inside.

I'm looking at getting this bumper, and it seems there's limited knowledge to be had about it online, so I have a few questions I hope you can answer.
1. Are the round light mounts compatible with any other lights than the ones buy directly from LoD? I may want to put my own lights in there, but they make it seem as if only theirs will work.
2. It's listed as coming with a CB antenna mounting bracket, but I can't find any pics or further info on it. Is it the type that mounts behind the tail light, or is the mount on the bumper itself?

I hate to revive an old thread, but there is hardly any info on this bumper online and I'd rather not make a whole new thread.