Long Arm Lifts vs. Short Arm Lifts

I don't understand it either. Yet he and Chris Sines really, really insist it's "the best" setup for any type of terrain. I'd asked them about the Savvy mid-arm, and they said they've driven a TJ with it plenty of times, and while they do like it, they think that their Jeep West mid-arm was still the better choice.

Of course I can't imagine anyone who would build their own suspension system and then say someone else's is better.

Anyways, I don't regret my decision. There's nothing I've ever bought from Savvy that I wasn't more than impressed with.
Better is subject to your criteria.

Better is subject to your criteria.

Agreed.

It's like the guys who put on the Currie Antirocks and then complain about the excess body roll over the stock sway bar. Some people can deal with it, others can't. I'll trade that little extra body roll for the rest, no question about it.

You're not the first person to say this. When talking to Dave Kishpaugh about whether he thought the Savvy mid-arm or his custom made "Jeep West" mid-arm would be better for me, he was really, really trying to sell me on his setup due to the fact that it uses a rear track bar, and thus has much better "roll center" than the Savvy mid-arm.

Ultimately I had issues with Dave and the way he runs his business, so I ended up going with the Savvy mid-arm, and I'm really happy I did.

I look at it from an on road handling perspective. Keeping the track bar allows independent control of roll center and in certain packaging scenarios more roll center height than you can get otherwise. Once you go to a triangulated suspension your control arms are now controlling roll center in addition to antisquat.

It all comes down to compromise and an understanding of what your are trying to accomplish. I have thought many times going down the mid arm road but the question always comes back to how much would I gain for the effort required.

This would be an interesting area to explore. I've seen 3 link rears. Some of the Currie rock crawler TJs were set up this way. I never understood why the JW mid arm was still a 5 link.

I keep exploring a mid arm three link with a track bar, but packaging the front upper control arm mount is a challenge.

I look at it from an on road handling perspective. Keeping the track bar allows independent control of roll center and in certain packaging scenarios more roll center height than you can get otherwise. Once you go to a triangulated suspension your control arms are now controlling roll center in addition to antisquat.

It all comes down to compromise and an understanding of what your are trying to accomplish. I have thought many times going down the mid arm road but the question always comes back to how much would I gain for the effort required.

Granted I've only had my Savvy mid-arm on for 3 weeks or so now, I will say that I primarily drive my TJ on-road.

In no way whatsoever do I feel that the road manners are worse. In fact, with the Fox shocks @pcoplin tuned for me, I would say that it has better road manners now than it did before. Perhaps some of that extra body roll has been dialed out with the shocks, I'm not sure.

Yes, there is a bit more body roll that is noticeable around corners, but it's really nothing that alarms me or feels dangerous in any way. As previously mentioned though, everyone is going to have a different opinion on what is "acceptable" in terms of body roll.

Keep in mind that I've been driving it for 3-weeks without any rear sway bar at all! I have a rear Currie Antirock waiting to go on, and my guess is that once that's on, it's going to even further improve the body roll.

Truth be told, had I been building my TJ years ago before the Savvy mid-arm even came into existence, I probably would have gone an entirely different route. I kept reading rave reviews about it though, so I'm glad I followed through with it.

I keep exploring a mid arm three link with a track bar, but packaging the front upper control arm mount is a challenge.
Just some persnickety little details and persistence is all it takes to do it. We've done them with Currie's VXR front housing and notching the bottom of the frame side motor mount. It isn't difficult, just a bit fiddly.

I can do the 3 link with rear trackbar, easily. The problem is getting that into some sort of a kit that deals with the exhaust over the crossmember that has to be there, the upper link mount which has to fight for real estate with the trackbar mount and then get a solid TB mount that does some good and gets you the handling you are after. It turns into quite the ordeal to get it all dialed in.

I can just as easily toss a rear AR on with a .950 front AR bar and go have a blast with some good shocks.

Just some persnickety little details and persistence is all it takes to do it. We've done them with Currie's VXR front housing and notching the bottom of the frame side motor mount. It isn't difficult, just a bit fiddly.

I think I misworded. I was thinking of a rear three link with panhard. You already figured out the front and I would just be reinventing the wheel if I tried to do anything different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can do the 3 link with rear trackbar, easily. The problem is getting that into some sort of a kit that deals with the exhaust over the crossmember that has to be there, the upper link mount which has to fight for real estate with the trackbar mount and then get a solid TB mount that does some good and gets you the handling you are after. It turns into quite the ordeal to get it all dialed in.

I can just as easily toss a rear AR on with a .950 front AR bar and go have a blast with some good shocks.

Right. It is always about packaging and if the rewards are worth the cost and effort.

Reactions: Chris
Would you give an example please?
I don't have an actual example, you need to move both ends of it to get a good roll center and make it as long as possible to slow down axle shift under articulation. That needs to be behind the single upper mount for the control arm, but if you get it too far back, then you run the risk of clearance issues with the gas tank. Over the axle and you are in the way of the upper arm mount. Everything wants to live in the same spot.

Reactions: Blackjack
I don't have an actual example, you need to move both ends of it to get a good roll center and make it as long as possible to slow down axle shift under articulation. That needs to be behind the single upper mount for the control arm, but if you get it too far back, then you run the risk of clearance issues with the gas tank. Over the axle and you are in the way of the upper arm mount. Everything wants to live in the same spot.

I wonder since the front and rear track bars from the factory are nearly the same length if making one bar substantially longer than the other might induce something into the chassis that would be an issue? Or did Jeep just pick the length out of the air and call it a day.

I wonder since the front and rear track bars from the factory are nearly the same length if making one bar substantially longer than the other might induce something into the chassis that would be an issue? Or did Jeep just pick the length out of the air and call it a day.
I suspect that it is both. You can only make them so long and keep them under the rig. You want them as long as possible to minimize the forces since it is rare to be able to keep them horizontal which is ideal.

Reactions: Blackjack
Watts link?

Watts links are very interesting and also very complicated to make work with the amount of axle travel we desire. I know that Full Traction has a kit to put one on a JK. Lots of moving parts to contend with.